Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T: MIT offering free degree courses online. Advice please?!?!?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
BBC News - MIT launches free online course

MITx 6.002

Basically, MIT are offering a course in electronics, authenticated and adjudicated by them, for free online starting in March. Anyone can apply, regardless of educational background and location.

I'm a bit of a know nothing when it comes to electronics, but while I'm unemployed and not doing a lot, I might give it a punt. Would mean I have degrees from both Exeter University and MIT - something to boast about on your CV!!!!!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I visited MIT early last year. I think it's the coolest university in the world. Go for it.

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I visited MIT early last year. I think it's the coolest university in the world. Go for it.

It's just a shame they email you the certificate and you don't get to go to Boston to pick it up yourself!! My other half thinks any form of self improvement is a good thing. Being unable to work at the moment (trying to balance my epilepsy meds) means I have WAAAY too much time on my hands!

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
oh the sleepy, MIT are complete c*unts......research deeply what they get up to, and who for.

Zzzz.

"i want something to look good on my cv":bla:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Go for it, and good luck!

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
It's just a shame they email you the certificate and you don't get to go to Boston to pick it up yourself!! My other half thinks any form of self improvement is a good thing. Being unable to work at the moment (trying to balance my epilepsy meds) means I have WAAAY too much time on my hands!

Enlighten us please, Brunswick, clearly you are of higher knowledge than us all, and obviously way past trying to better yourself.......:S

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
intersting little raising the stakes, Standford ran something similar last autumn that was considered a great success. it was unofficial though with no formal accreditation from Stanford. this is only one unit to begin, and i'll be surprised if you'd be able to do a complete degree, its in an interesting area and it cant hurt to follow.

the lead from the Stanford project has formed a company to provide online degrees, Udacity, which is running free courses on programing basics and programming a robotic car, if those float your intellectual boat.

Last edited:

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I just want to keep my brain active while I'm waiting for the ok to go back to work!!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
oh the sleepy, MIT are complete c*unts......research deeply what they get up to, and who for.

Zzzz.

"i want something to look good on my cv":bla:

You're having a little giggle. You fully appreciate the wonderful opportunity of distance learning from a top end educational/ research facility but like to satirise the buffoons who propagate across this once wonderful message board from your desirable post code. I know I live BN3 1xx too .... give them a break.

The Guardian had a prize draw for an undergraduate/ post graduate degree of your choice via the Open University ... anyone who didn't apply is a C to the U to the N to the mutherfucking T.

Involvement in education with discipline is a good* thing

*currently improving my vocabulary

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've been nosing into those MIT courses - really interesting stuff. You'd be mad not to give it a go.

Like HT, I visited MIT a couple of years ago, it's just the coolest college on the planet and if I were young again, I'd be dreaming of ways to get there.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I worked for a day at MIT last year, the sports centre is bigger and better than any sport facility I've ever seen, including that Reebok gym at Canary Wharf that's meant to be the biggest gym in Europe or something - and all that for a science/engineering-based college whose students might not necessarily be thought of as the most ardent jocks. The money those US colleges have defies belief.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
- and all that for a science/engineering-based college whose students might not necessarily be thought of as the most ardent jocks

MIT for many years had the record for the most separate interscholastic competitive sports teams -- just all at a very low level, NCAA Division III, or club. They're very proud of it.

Take it from me -- don't sail against them. The "Tech" in "Tech dingy" -- a one-design class virtually synonymous with US collegiate sailing -- is MIT. The folks who designed the boat generally can beat your brains out if you're racing in their design.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Go to MIT and download it from one of their computers.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
That is very tempting at the moment

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton
Just make sure you are ok with the course back ground "In order to succeed in this course, you must have taken an AP level physics course in electricity and magnetism. You must know basic calculus and linear algebra and have some background in differential equations. Since more advanced mathematics will not show up until the second half of the course, the first half of the course will include an optional remedial differential equations component for those who need it"

likely not suited to everyone!

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I'm learning Calculus now, to give myself a bit of a helping hand!!!! It's nothing if not a challenge!

iamjon

Jul 31, 2011
Stanford and Berkeley courses also starting soon

I don't think you receive any form of certification for these courses but there are more from Stanford and Berkeley starting soon if anyone is interested:

saas-class [dot] org

Check the bottom of the page for other courses - can't post links as it's my first post

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here