O/T - Make sure you check your bank/credit card statements regularly...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

thealbionfan

Oct 6, 2003
Just wanted to share this with NSC. I am sure that the majority of you do check your bank and credit card statements regularly, but, I have to admit that, although I check things like balances etc, I do not go through every single transaction.

On my latest credit card statement, I noticed a payment out to Shopper Discounts.co.uk for £10. I had no idea what this related to. I had a look back over my statements and it appears that the same amount has been taken out monthly over the last 18 months!

I did a quick google search and, it appears, that there have been quite a lot of issues with Shopper Discounts in various guises. Lots of people not quite understanding how they entered into transactions with this company.

Anyhow it turns out that they are legitimate and that, basically, when you buy certain things online (I understand that Easyjet, Interflora and Pizza Hut are good examples) - you are given the opportunity to sign up to further discounts off future transactions. Apparently, the terms of these offers require that you agree to certain terms and conditions...one of which is that you agree to the membership fee of £10 per month being taken from your credit card/bank account. It is legal, although slightly misrepresentative as it is not made expressly clear of the ongoing membership charges.

I have phoned Shopper Discounts today and said that I was concerned. They agreed to cancel my account immediately and also to refund the last 3 months' membership fees immediately. If I wanted to claim a refund of any further membership fees then I had to complete their claim form...which I have just done.

I also contacted my credit card company and they confirmed that they had received lots of queries and complaints regarding this company.

Just a heads up really to get you to check your statements regularly...a lesson learned for me and I will be checking everything more carefully in the future.

thealbionfan

Oct 6, 2003
As an update, I have just received an e-mail confirming they will be refunding me all payments made.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I check our accounts daily as well
there is a fake PayPal email flying about as well I have not used them for years after they took money out of our account without using their password took ages to get it back .......fecking leaches

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports