Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - Living in Geneva

Albion Rob

Wildly off topic but it is the close season.

There's a possibility I'm going to be offered a job in Geneva next week and I just wanted to see if anyone from NSC had lived there or spent significant time there and could offer me advice on areas where I might like to live (looking for a three bed house or apartment as wife and daughter will be coming with me) and any other general advice on things to do, what to expect etc. All the general messageboards I've been on seem a bit insular and negative so would be great if anyone here has the inside track.

Happy for people to PM me if easier.

Thanks in advance.

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
Having lived in Zürich area for 11 years I found that the French speaking part of Switzerland was a bit more relaxed than the German part. As suggested one option is to live in France and have the cross border working permit but if the Salary deal you have is in line with the Swissers you should live in Switzerland. Great health care is one of the things I miss most. Where to live depends on what you want the further you live out from the city the more chance you have to get a nice place to live and public transport make it a no brainer of how to get to work, the point you should look at is where you choose to live regarding the taxation in that village or town as the local council set the tax so high tax places tend to be cheaper rent and the other way on lower taxation, the good point is as a foreigner you will prob be on B permit so you will pay your tax monthly direct from your wages and this is at the Kanton average tax for Geneva area (Zürich 9%), after 5 years you can go to a C permit then you pay your tax to your local council at what ever rate and then you claim petrol etc, also you have a tax code as a family so if your wife is not working you get her allowance. Have fun, great for the kids to learn a language but don't expect it to be the same as here.

Noldi

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
They speak slower French in Switzerland, part of Geneva airport is in France. Probably easier to live in France, but it's your choice. I stayed in Le Mouret, Fribourg when I went.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I have spent a lot of time there, family live just along the lake from there.

It is a fantastic city, a really beautiful place to live and work. Cost of living is very high as others have said, but that should be reflected in your salary. I know loads of people do their weekly shop just over the border in the French supermarkets, a lot cheaper.

But if the money is covered, what's not to like. Mountains, lakes, skiing on tap down the valley or in the Jura, cosmopolitan cafe society, easy access to most of Europe. The only slight criticism would be that especially if you have come from a busy UK city it can be a bit, well, boring. But there are many, many UK expats there which helps bed in while you're learning the language.

Albion Rob

I have spent a lot of time there, family live just along the lake from there.

It is a fantastic city, a really beautiful place to live and work. Cost of living is very high as others have said, but that should be reflected in your salary. I know loads of people do their weekly shop just over the border in the French supermarkets, a lot cheaper.

But if the money is covered, what's not to like. Mountains, lakes, skiing on tap down the valley or in the Jura, cosmopolitan cafe society, easy access to most of Europe. The only slight criticism would be that especially if you have come from a busy UK city it can be a bit, well, boring. But there are many, many UK expats there which helps bed in while you're learning the language.

Thanks Toots - I live in Eastbourne so no fear of Geneva being boring by comparison! :smile:

Leosayer

Aug 25, 2011
Kent
I've spent a lot of time working there over the years.
I'd say very expensive (make sure your expenses and salary is generous, the Swiss Franc has gone from 2.3 3 years ago to at one point 1.3 to the Pound), beautiful to look at surrounded by stunning scenery and great if you like skiing and outdoor sports. The city is much like the rest of Switzerland, looks nice but not much going on, not the most exciting place to live. There are a few nice bars and restaurants particularly in the old town, good for a weekend in the summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here