Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

o/t Five months into the year - Best Albums so far?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
On a tip from Ponce's de-minimis blog I have purchased the rather excellent new Battles long player. I'm totally new to their work but am finding some commonality with math rock (I really like Don Caballero) Go check it out.

Love this album. Even outside the tracks that they are well known for, this is a corking album

PS Noticed Honda using a Battles track on their new commercial.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm finally seeing what all the fuss is about with Yuck's album. It's taken a bit of time but having the 2 weakest songs as opening tracks hasn't helped. They are both a bit turgid but thereafter it's like 1989 all over again with the jangly guitars. Yes, I like it.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
The screaming trees have released an album of new material they recorded 15 years ago before they split up and it is very good indeed. Well worth checking out if you were a fan of that type of music

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Love this album. Even outside the tracks that they are well known for, this is a corking album

PS Noticed Honda using a Battles track on their new commercial.

I love it as well. Are you familiar with Don Caballero? I can recommend them.

I'm really enjoying The Horrors at the moment as well.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wilco -The Whole Love. Their best album since Yankee Hotel Foxtrot imo and a must listen for all fans of Americana.

Go for the deluxe version on itunes it includes bonus tracks that are worth having.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The completely unpretencious and stright forward 3 Doors Down, 'Time of my Life'. Not cool, not trendy just excellent rock.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Two more additions.
Steven Malkmus and The Jicks-Mirror Traffic
Half Man Half Biscuit-90Bisodol(crimond)

And The Fall new release still to come in November

matildaseagull

Aug 12, 2003
Good Old Sussex
Yuck - Yuck
We're New Here - Gil Scott Heron and Jamie XX
Cults - Cults
What did you expect from The Vaccines? - The Vaccines

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Surprised no one has yet mentioned The Joy Formidable - The Big Roar. That gets my vote, ahead of Yuck, The Horrors, PJ Harvey, Cults, The Vaccines...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've got 3 more very new albums to add to the list.

Firstly, Zola Jesus - Conatus. The female power rock/electronica seems to be really in at the moment with Austra, Rainbow Arabia, PlanningToRock, Fever Ray, Lykke Li all producing excellent music but this from Zola Jesus is epic. Building on her EPs she's got a very strong album here.

Next is Blue Daisy with Sunday Gift. Bristol Trip Hop is alive and very well. This is up there with Massive Attack, Tricky, Portishead (who he samples). Seriously good dance album and if you like the whole Bristol dubby/melancholic music then I heartily recommend this.

....and Bonnie Prince Billy's latest 'Wolfroy Goes To Town' is just beautiful. The man is a genius.

Am looking forward to David Lynch's debut album too. Check out his latest, Crazy Clown (or something like that).

This is another great year for music.

RaphaelMeade

Aug 30, 2011
andy stott - passed me by
colin stetson - new history warfare vol. 2
mark mcguire - get lost
mist - house
birds in row - cottbus
ford & lopatin - channel pressure
true widow - as high as the highest heavens....
ducktails - arcade dynamics
tim hecker - ravedeath 1972
matthewdavid - international
panda bear - tomboy

[12"/eps]
sepalcure - fleur
blawan - getting me down
downliners sekt - meet the decline
george fitzgerald - silhouette
philip d kick - footwork jungle
pangaea - inna daze/won't hurt
koreless - 4d (single really)

[mixtape]
nguzunguzu - moments in love

RaphaelMeade

Aug 30, 2011
I've got 3 more very new albums to add to the list.

Firstly, Zola Jesus - Conatus. The female power rock/electronica seems to be really in at the moment with Austra, Rainbow Arabia, PlanningToRock, Fever Ray, Lykke Li all producing excellent music but this from Zola Jesus is epic. Building on her EPs she's got a very strong album here.

Next is Blue Daisy with Sunday Gift. Bristol Trip Hop is alive and very well. This is up there with Massive Attack, Tricky, Portishead (who he samples). Seriously good dance album and if you like the whole Bristol dubby/melancholic music then I heartily recommend this.

....and Bonnie Prince Billy's latest 'Wolfroy Goes To Town' is just beautiful. The man is a genius.

Am looking forward to David Lynch's debut album too. Check out his latest, Crazy Clown (or something like that).

This is another great year for music.

gotta check that zola jesus & blue daisy

RaphaelMeade

Aug 30, 2011
i see anneka is on this blue daisy record. she was on faltyDL's from this year, what did you think of that album ponce?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That Cashier Number 9 album is a breezy delight. Quite a bit of west coast US going on...The Byrds and Beck spring to mind.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
i see anneka is on this blue daisy record. she was on faltyDL's from this year, what did you think of that album ponce?

Not heard it. I'll check it out, thanks for the heads up. Glad to see the Cashier No 9 album getting a mention. I really liked it.

Has anyone mentioned Bjork's Biophilia yet? I've been listening to it over the last few days properly and it gets better and better. It appears quite weighty and ponderous at first, she uses a full orchestration throughout and then lots of post-production to add drum patterns, sound effects and the like but don't let that put you off. She proves once again that she is still breaking new ground in music with this album. I keep discovering new things with it so well worth getting a decent pair of headphones to give it a really good listen.

Still awaiting the David Lynch debut album out this month. The tracks that have trickled out have been retrotastic. He has tuned into that indie dance sound of the mid-90s beautifully. It's got a kind of Underworld/Chemical Brothers/Leftfield feel so far. The EP was outstanding.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not heard it. I'll check it out, thanks for the heads up. Glad to see the Cashier No 9 album getting a mention. I really liked it.

Has anyone mentioned Bjork's Biophilia yet? I've been listening to it over the last few days properly and it gets better and better. It appears quite weighty and ponderous at first, she uses a full orchestration throughout and then lots of post-production to add drum patterns, sound effects and the like but don't let that put you off. She proves once again that she is still breaking new ground in music with this album. I keep discovering new things with it so well worth getting a decent pair of headphones to give it a really good listen.

Still awaiting the David Lynch debut album out this month. The tracks that have trickled out have been retrotastic. He has tuned into that indie dance sound of the mid-90s beautifully. It's got a kind of Underworld/Chemical Brothers/Leftfield feel so far. The EP was outstanding.

Yup, loving Cashier. Lots of nice influences welded in there. I keep hearing different stuff with every listen. I heard Bjork last night actually. I'm not a fan, and the new one has not done anything to change this. It's just one of those things. The wife and her mate were listening and blathering on about it for ages though.

With you on David Lynch.

I'll be making a trip to Rounder this week to get the new Jeffrey Lewis, Justice, Smile thingy and Lou Reed and Metallica long players. Today it's all about PJ Harvey though.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Ancient & Modern - The Mekons

yet another smashing Mekons LP

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
Don't think anyone has yet mentioned - Other Lives "Tamer Animals". I think its their debut album.

Feeling a bit braindead today so i'm not sure how to describe it! But basically its a bit like The National, but more widescreen; sounds like Morricone in places. Really excellent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here