Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Conservation of Energy query?

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
I'm currently drying a pair of jeans in front of my gas fire, and would like to know if this is costing me any extra money?

The fire is heating the damp jeans, so is in effect expending energy to do so, and is thus drying them...

So, if energy can be neither created nor destroyed, there must be a certain amount of cooling caused by the damp jeans to the fire, due to the change in their state from damp to dry...

So, is it costing me extra gas ???

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Yes as evaporation is an endothermic process. Hence why sweating allows us to cool down.

The jeans are not cooling the fire down, but they are cooling down and dampening the ambient atmosphere. However, the fire is not burning faster because of that. You will use more energy in the long run in order to warm the room up to your desired temperature.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
The fire is converting chemical energy to thermal energy which is being radiated out from the fire. Some of this is being absorbed by the jeans. It does not draw extra energy from the fire or cause it to burn extra fuel, but it does slightly reduce the effect the fire has of heating other parts of the room.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here