Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T anyone know about good and bad in worthing (buying a house)

cakecup

May 12, 2012
We are going to be buying our first house soon and can't afford to get it wrong yay and eeek.

We have been looking at houses on rightmove and loads are coming up in durrington near tesco but I have heard its not the best area so avoid.

Are there any roads that are a complete no go? anywhere in worthing not just durrington.

We are renting in offington at the moment so in a cozy cocoon of niceness but can't afford to ever live here.

Are are looking at spending around £170k so it will probably be an estate house but which to avoid all together?

T. i. a

Jen xx

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
£170k is a difficult figure in Worthing, you do get the odd gem around Offington/Thomas A Becket/West Worthing but need to be quick and keep an eye on Rightmove.

I'd personally avoid North & West-ish of Durrington Tesco, though some of the roads off the west/south of it can be OK. Shelby Road, Wear Road etc. Or up and around Adur Ave possibly. Avoid some of the Goring bits around Limbrick, just north of the railway, but south of the A259.

Also just south of West Worthing crossing you do get the odd bit. Downview Road etc.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was brought up in Windrush Close, at the top of Adur Avenue, and my Mum lived there until recently.

It's a decent enough place to live, I think. I certainly never considered it rough at all.

The houses are not the most attractive and a bit boxy but the room and garden sizes make up for that.

Having a bit of a trek to get to a railway station could be another drawback for you.

Jello Biafra

Aug 8, 2011
Avoid Worthing unless you're over 75, in which case, you'll have a whale of a time. If you work there, commute in, if you don't, why on earth would you want to live there?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Avoid Worthing unless you're over 75, in which case, you'll have a whale of a time. If you work there, commute in, if you don't, why on earth would you want to live there?

Maybe the OP has lived here all her life and all her friends and family are here?

Worthing isn't that bad, I have lived here most of my life and its not bad. Depends what you want!

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
I wouldn't live in Worthing myself, however Broadwater and Goring are quite nice.

cakecup

May 12, 2012

Err because we can't afford any where else and My husband works in Lancing.

cakecup

May 12, 2012
Thanks to those who answered with sensible comments.

I grew up in Lewes, then was in Brighton for 12 years and now having remarried find myself Living in worthing due to my husband working in Lancing.

We can't afford brighton or shoreham so lancing and worthing are our nearest options. And like springal says worthing really isnt that bad as a town ,I just dont want to end up in a dodgy area having not done my research first.

I agree broadwater and goring are both lovely but sadly few properties come up in those areas. I can hope though that we can grab one before someone else.

I looked at windrush Ave but probably wont be able to afford around there.

Thanks for the info springal I will add those areas to my map of good and bad.

Thanks guys and girls.

xx

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
We bought a btl over there a couple of years back or so, roughly in your price bracket. Had many conversations with estate agents, and learned to completely avoid anything north of Littlehampton road (Durrington?), and anything east of Dominion Road. Having previously looked in these areas and compared with where we ended up looking, this was good advice. As someone else mentioned Thomas A Becket/West Worthing is worth looking at but from personal experience at this kind of price, decent ones can fly off the shelf....

cakecup

May 12, 2012
Are you retiring? if not then prepare for all your neighbors to be double your age.

Yes BUT we live in worthing so will be buying in worthing. I would much prefer older people as neighbours than people having parties all night.

The issue i have isn't IF i should buy in worthing its where!!

Thanks to Mikeyjh , we would love thomas a becket but like you say they go really quickly and mostly out of our price range. I can keep hoping though.

So Durrington sounds like it is for the most part been struck off which I can agree with although annoyingly houses in our price range come up mostly there and east worthing is a no go or do you mean lancing?

I think maybe goring seems like a good bet for us. We can just about afford it and its nice and sleepy so won't get taken over by chavs any time soon.

thanks guys
:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here