Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] NSC Football Quiz League

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I've submitted my answers. There was one I wasn't quite sure about - just checked and I've got it wrong! So that should mean a first three points of the season for Lincolnshire Seagull, who has wisely chosen the nicknames category. And I thought it was gonna be a stroll against the bottom team!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
You was robbed, I had absolutely no idea on Q1 so Palace was a random, and the Barnsley one I actually answered Chelsea but changed my mind at the last moment, my sincere apologies :rolleyes:

No need to apologise, these things happen in football. My Palace answer was a lucky deflection and as we all know, it's a funny old game Saint.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
I've submitted my answers. There was one I wasn't quite sure about - just checked and I've got it wrong! So that should mean a first three points of the season for Lincolnshire Seagull, who has wisely chosen the nicknames category. And I thought it was gonna be a stroll against the bottom team!

VERY unlikely I will have scored 5 in one game

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just [MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION] to come.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A) Albion- The Withdean Years (Grombleton, Stewart12, Easy10, Amex Ruislip, The Complete Badger)

1) Who was Albion’s first league defeat at Withdean against ? Torquay United
2) Albion’s last match at Withdean was against Huddersfield Town. What was the score ? 2-3
3) Albion’s first second tier win at Withdean came in November 2002. Who was that against ? Bradford City
4) How many promotions and relegations in total were there during Albion’s time at Withdean ? 6
5) Who was Albion’s biggest competitive win at Withdean against ? Northwich Victoria

B) International Football in 1970s & 1980s (Jessie James)

1) Who won the Golden Boot at the 1986 World Cup ? Gary Lineker
2) Daniel Bertoni was the leading scorer in the 1978 World Cup. Who did he play for ? Argentina
3) Who won the 1984 European Championships ? France
4) England’s opening match at Euro96 was against who ? Switzerland
5) Which home nation made the play offs for the semi final the 1976 European Championships, the only home nation to have won their group ? Wales

C) Premier League 2018/19 (TayBHA, Lindfield23)

1) Who replaced Conte as Chelsea manager pre-season ? Sarri
2) Albion finished 17th. Who was in 16th ? Southampton
3) How many defeats did Manchester City and Liverpool have combined ? 5
4) Three players finished on 22 goals. Salah, Mane and… ? Aubameyang
5) Albion managed to score three goals twice. Against Crystal Palace and… ? Manchester United

D) Cup shocks over the years (Kevo, Barham’s Tash)

1) Who were the last third tier team to make the semi-finals ? Sheffield United
2) Who beat Div 2 Leicester City in a famous 1980 third round win for this obscure Essex non-league team ? Harlow Town
3) Who beat Malcolm Allinson’s Div 1 Manchester City in a famous mud bath at this old Yorkshire Div 4 ground, also in 1980 ? Halifax Town
4) Brighton were beaten by which non-league team in the 1996/97 season ? Sudbury Town
5) Which non-league team led twice at Liverpool in 2008 ? Havant & Waterlooville

E) Nicknames (Frutos, Hans Kraay, KZN Seagull, Lincolnshire Seagull)

1) Which two teams are known as the ‘Latics’ ? Oldham Athletic & Wigan Athletic
2) Newcastle United and which team are known as the ‘Magpies’. Notts County
3) Bristol Rovers are known as ‘The Gas’ but they are traditionally known under another nickname too. What is that ? Pirates
4) Manchester United share the nickname ‘Red Devils’ with which fourth tier team ? Crawley Town
5) Which ex-football league team were known as the ‘Quakers’ ? Darlington

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Capture 25.PNG

Check your scores

Capture 24.PNG

There will be 10 questions in the next round (see below post).

Last edited:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Also, we now start the NSC Quiz Cup

The competition runs alongside the nominated round of questions. You only have to answer the questions that are set. They count towards the league and cup (although your opponents may be different). In the cup rounds there are ten questions. Usual points awarded for the league.

Cup rules:

Player with the most points go through.

One question is really HARD. It is because we need a tie-breaker. If scores are level, the player closest on that answer goes through. In the normal league situation the player closest gets the goal.

Here is the Cup draw-

Round 1

Match 1 : KZN Seagull vs Easy 10

Match 2 : Amex Ruislip vs Grombleton

Match 3 : Lindfield23 vs Frutos

Match 4 : Bye vs Kevo

Match 5 : The Complete Badger vs Jessie James

Match 6 : Lincolnshire Seagull vs Taybha

Match 7 : Bye vs Barham's Tash

Match 8 : Hans Kraay Fan Club vs Stewart12

Last edited:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't think those are the results for this round.

Amended. For some reason I thought today was Wednesday. Lockdown lunacy.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So your questions for round eight are below.

One goal for each correct answer as usual.

These fixtures are used for your cup matches as well.

Question 10 is the cup-tie breaker. Closest answer is the winner IF you are tied on points for the other nine at that point.

In the league, question ten has a goal awarded to the one who is closest (unless one of you gets it).

1) Who is Albion’s all-time leading goal scorer ?
2) In which year did Crawley Town enter the football league ?
3) Who did England beat in their first match of the 2006 World Cup finals ?
4) FK Sūduva were the 2019 champions of which European country ?
5) Who is currently top of League Two (Div 4) ?
6) Manchester United were top of the Premier League until a minute from the end of 2011/12 season. Who did United beat that day only to be pipped by City ?
7) What was Dean Wilkins highest League One finish as Albion manager ?
8) Which English league team became the first to fold during a season for 30 years in 1992 ?
9) In January 1979, a third round FA Cup match went to an astonishing four replays. Arsenal, the eventual winner, won the trophy that year. But which current northern Championship side were they playing in that third round match ?
10) Albion finish 12th in the Third Division under Fred Goodwin. Name the year.

Here is the Cup draw-

Round 1

Match 1 : KZN Seagull vs Easy 10

Match 2 : Amex Ruislip vs Grombleton

Match 3 : Lindfield23 vs Frutos

Match 4 : Bye vs Kevo

Match 5 : The Complete Badger vs Jessie James

Match 6 : Lincolnshire Seagull vs Taybha

Match 7 : Bye vs Barham's Tash

Match 8 : Hans Kraay Fan Club vs Stewart12

League matches

Capture 26.PNG
[MENTION=27836]Barham's tash[/MENTION] [MENTION=12422]Taybha[/MENTION] . [MENTION=34973]Lindfield23[/MENTION] [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] [MENTION=9822]KZNSeagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=37904]stewart12[/MENTION] [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] [MENTION=22929]Grombleton[/MENTION] [MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION] [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION] [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] [MENTION=12847]jessiejames[/MENTION] [MENTION=14114]Lincolnshire Seagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=11720]kevo[/MENTION]

Answers by 10pm tomorrow if possible.

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Two 5-5 draws in the last round - goal-tastic stuff.

Interesting that we all said the nicknames section was easy, but despite the high scores no-one who chose that section won!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Interesting that we all said the nicknames section was easy, but despite the high scores no-one who chose that section won!

That's the beautiful and unintended psychology of the round.

I see you got a BYE to the quarter finals. Thanks for the BUNG.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Decent round for me I think/hope.

Pretty sure my Football Manager experience has pulled one out of the hat for me that I'd otherwise have been very unlikely to get barring a lucky guess.

Two tough fixtures though, these are good sides and we'll do well to come away with some positive results.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just to clarify, question 10 in the league is a standard question with the nearest answer scoring a goal (unless both get it right in which case both get a goal).

It is ONLY a tie-breaker in the cup competition. So it's only the first nine answers that form the match. (Question 10 is a kind of penalties if scores are level).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here