NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flex Your Head

View attachment 49463

I've listened to it tonight in full.

First let me say that the rest of this post might come across as pretentious bollocks, if so I apologise, I'm a simple man and I'm just giving my honest opinion.

First Impressions. Nice cover, bit of effort gone in there.

Numbers at the end represent how much (out of 10) I enjoyed it

Track 1 – Vinyl crackle. Punky. Fuzzy guitar. Quite raw, not heavily produced. 8
Track 2 – Jangly guitar. Lady singer. More modern, last few years perhaps ? 9
Track 3 – Mark E Smith instantly recognisable. Not a huge fan of The Fall. 6
Track 4 – Punk. Vocals a bit shouty. A bit Sham 69ish. 6
Track 5 – More melodic, heavy drums and bass, jangly guitar. Lady singer. 8
Track 6 – Heavy(ish) guitar. Another lady singer. 8
Track 7 – Jangly guitar band. Rather androgynous vocals. 8
Track 8 – Guitar pop. If Jerry Garcia formed an Indie band they would sound like this 9
Track 9 – Swell Maps ! Not heard them for a good few years. Always make me smile. 8
Track 10 – Not much to say, didn't like this one much. 5
Track 11 – Quite lively, recurring guitar riff. 7
Track 12 – Not very melodic. Lot of drums and shouting. Second longest track and felt like it too. 4
Track 13 – Pre-Television (who I have a lot of time for) Verlaine/Hell 8
Track 14 – Feedback/shouting/fuzz pedal. Rather formulaic. 4
Track 15 – Short, sweet and to the point. Fuzzy guitar, Lady singer. 8
Track 16 – Another quickie with a lady singer. Nice guitaring. 8
Track 17 – More fuzzy guitar. Vocals a bit under-produced, could have been more up front. 7
Track 18 – A bit Fall-esque – up front “talky” vocals and guitar.
Track 19 – Garage band. Proper good, like this a lot. 9(and a half).
Track 20 – Not sure about this, nice tune but a bit long. 4 minutes would have been enough. 5
Track 21 – Put me in mind of The Human League with guitars. 9
Track 22 – Like the guitar. Vocals a bit quiet. Very up-tempo. 8
Track 23 – Early 80's sound, has aged quite well. A nice finish. 8

Overall it's a good compilation although somewhat narrow in variety and it's lucky that it's the sort of music I like (mostly at least). There's half a dozen tracks on it that stand out for me and it'll become a regular listen (albeit with a couple of skips) in the car.
A note at the bottom of the track listing says “All pieces lovingly transferred from the original scratchy vinyl.” You can hear the vinyl noise on a few tracks and whilst I though it would detract from the listening experience, after a couple of times it stopped being noticeable. I'm still not resurrecting my vinyl collection though; I remain firmly of the opinion that CD sounds better.
In closing, I salute you sir, whoever you are. Your efforts are much appreciated.
Sounds bloody great - I'll have it if you don't want it!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Happypig, if you think YOU are prententious, wait until I get into my stride...I might do this review in two, or possibly three, parts. Firstly, thank you to whoever did this - it's a very listenable collection that has accompanied me in the kitchen making the dinner as well as on the commute to work. It'll be a good CD for the car - nice, bright songs that travel well, unlike a fair chunk of my music which competes with the car engine in terms of noise and depth.

Anyway:
Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before - The Smiths: great start, one of the few highlights from Strangeways..., melodic, downbeat but breezy and a little bracing.
Sweet And Tender Hooligan - Nouvelle Vague: cover of fairly obscure Smiths track, typical Nouvelle Vague approach - loungey, laid back, slightly cute, but pleasing in its lack of irony. Tuneful and comforting.
Don't Need A Reason - Beth Orton: lovely Beth, lovely song.
Daisy - Hafdis Huld: unmistakeably Scandinavian, perky and jaunty, like Lykke Li with less attitude, but that's fine by me. One for a Spring day. Could be ruined by becoming part of a major advertising launch for an unfavoured retailer.
I'm Making Eyes At You - Black Kids: i thought this band only had one good song, but I quite like this. Pretends to be a Swedish indie song with its quirky keyboard bobs and male/female vocals. A nice way to spend four minutes.
I'll Stay With You - New Order: i'll admit I have nothing by New Order post Regret, but everything pre Regret. This is post, so a new song to me, and it's great. Starts like Enjoy The Silence, but moves on to be a pretty strong anthemic guitar/keyboard souffle.
I Am Down - Plastiscines: this French four-piece all girl band are a new one to me. The sender obviously is quite keen - the band are stars of the inner sleeve, each with a red felt tip Y (for "Yes", as in "Yes please"??) scrawled next to them. Nice, easy sound; tuneful and estival, good for a festival (do you like my rapping?). Could do with more of a pronounced French accent?
Right Here - The Go-Betweens: one of my favourite GB songs - once again, bright and airy, a summer dress in a picturesque yard blowing slightly on a washing line.
Sweetest Love Song - Simone White: nice voice, can imagine Jools Holland tinkling the ivories whilst gurning at Simone. In the wrong hands, this could be background music in Starbucks or used in an advert for hand cream. Pleasant, if one restrains such thoughts.
Shopping - The Jam: didn't know this one. Nicely meandering, like a walk down an urban high street. Laid back and restrained. Interesting.
Good Year For The Roses - Elvis Costello: I'm not as big a fan of EC as my wife, or my friends. It's nice enough. Musically, it's fairly unadventurous, but it's a good tune. Should probably read the lyrics to get a little bit more out of it.
The Happening - Supremes: short and sweet, perfect pop - no fuss, just gives you a little tickle and then clears off.
Sometimes - James. Not an Erasure cover. Has a driving force like The Arcade Fire writing an extra track for The Joshua Tree. Not overblown though, which is where James can come unstuck. A rutted downland path visible as far as the eye can see.

Right, I'll stop there for now. More tomorrow probably - seven tracks more.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Exams all completed, and thank you for your best wishes on the C86 thread. I feel pleasantly confident... which is nice.
On the train home after the annual client Christmas drink shenanigans, listening to Free Loan Investments, contemplating taking up the fuzzy guitar.

I've got a fuzzbox, but I'm not going to use it - kids are all asleep. Glad the exams went ok. True or false: dividends can be paid on treasury shares?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
There would generally be a dividend waiver as you wouldn't want to pay a dividend to yourself. Better to get an EBT though so you don't bugger up your headroom and they're not restricted in close periods. An' ting, in it.

Murray, you've NAILED that question. Surely a pass, surely?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
View attachment 49463

I've listened to it tonight in full.

First let me say that the rest of this post might come across as pretentious bollocks, if so I apologise, I'm a simple man and I'm just giving my honest opinion.

First Impressions. Nice cover, bit of effort gone in there.

Numbers at the end represent how much (out of 10) I enjoyed it

Track 1 – Vinyl crackle. Punky. Fuzzy guitar. Quite raw, not heavily produced. 8
Track 2 – Jangly guitar. Lady singer. More modern, last few years perhaps ? 9
Track 3 – Mark E Smith instantly recognisable. Not a huge fan of The Fall. 6
Track 4 – Punk. Vocals a bit shouty. A bit Sham 69ish. 6
Track 5 – More melodic, heavy drums and bass, jangly guitar. Lady singer. 8
Track 6 – Heavy(ish) guitar. Another lady singer. 8
Track 7 – Jangly guitar band. Rather androgynous vocals. 8
Track 8 – Guitar pop. If Jerry Garcia formed an Indie band they would sound like this 9
Track 9 – Swell Maps ! Not heard them for a good few years. Always make me smile. 8
Track 10 – Not much to say, didn't like this one much. 5
Track 11 – Quite lively, recurring guitar riff. 7
Track 12 – Not very melodic. Lot of drums and shouting. Second longest track and felt like it too. 4
Track 13 – Pre-Television (who I have a lot of time for) Verlaine/Hell 8
Track 14 – Feedback/shouting/fuzz pedal. Rather formulaic. 4
Track 15 – Short, sweet and to the point. Fuzzy guitar, Lady singer. 8
Track 16 – Another quickie with a lady singer. Nice guitaring. 8
Track 17 – More fuzzy guitar. Vocals a bit under-produced, could have been more up front. 7
Track 18 – A bit Fall-esque – up front “talky” vocals and guitar.
Track 19 – Garage band. Proper good, like this a lot. 9(and a half).
Track 20 – Not sure about this, nice tune but a bit long. 4 minutes would have been enough. 5
Track 21 – Put me in mind of The Human League with guitars. 9
Track 22 – Like the guitar. Vocals a bit quiet. Very up-tempo. 8
Track 23 – Early 80's sound, has aged quite well. A nice finish. 8

Overall it's a good compilation although somewhat narrow in variety and it's lucky that it's the sort of music I like (mostly at least). There's half a dozen tracks on it that stand out for me and it'll become a regular listen (albeit with a couple of skips) in the car.
A note at the bottom of the track listing says “All pieces lovingly transferred from the original scratchy vinyl.” You can hear the vinyl noise on a few tracks and whilst I though it would detract from the listening experience, after a couple of times it stopped being noticeable. I'm still not resurrecting my vinyl collection though; I remain firmly of the opinion that CD sounds better.
In closing, I salute you sir, whoever you are. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Good review that man.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Happypig, if you think YOU are prententious, wait until I get into my stride...I might do this review in two, or possibly three, parts. Firstly, thank you to whoever did this - it's a very listenable collection that has accompanied me in the kitchen making the dinner as well as on the commute to work. It'll be a good CD for the car - nice, bright songs that travel well, unlike a fair chunk of my music which competes with the car engine in terms of noise and depth.

Anyway:
Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before - The Smiths: great start, one of the few highlights from Strangeways..., melodic, downbeat but breezy and a little bracing.
Sweet And Tender Hooligan - Nouvelle Vague: cover of fairly obscure Smiths track, typical Nouvelle Vague approach - loungey, laid back, slightly cute, but pleasing in its lack of irony. Tuneful and comforting.
Don't Need A Reason - Beth Orton: lovely Beth, lovely song.
Daisy - Hafdis Huld: unmistakeably Scandinavian, perky and jaunty, like Lykke Li with less attitude, but that's fine by me. One for a Spring day. Could be ruined by becoming part of a major advertising launch for an unfavoured retailer.
I'm Making Eyes At You - Black Kids: i thought this band only had one good song, but I quite like this. Pretends to be a Swedish indie song with its quirky keyboard bobs and male/female vocals. A nice way to spend four minutes.
I'll Stay With You - New Order: i'll admit I have nothing by New Order post Regret, but everything pre Regret. This is post, so a new song to me, and it's great. Starts like Enjoy The Silence, but moves on to be a pretty strong anthemic guitar/keyboard souffle.
I Am Down - Plastiscines: this French four-piece all girl band are a new one to me. The sender obviously is quite keen - the band are stars of the inner sleeve, each with a red felt tip Y (for "Yes", as in "Yes please"??) scrawled next to them. Nice, easy sound; tuneful and estival, good for a festival (do you like my rapping?). Could do with more of a pronounced French accent?
Right Here - The Go-Betweens: one of my favourite GB songs - once again, bright and airy, a summer dress in a picturesque yard blowing slightly on a washing line.
Sweetest Love Song - Simone White: nice voice, can imagine Jools Holland tinkling the ivories whilst gurning at Simone. In the wrong hands, this could be background music in Starbucks or used in an advert for hand cream. Pleasant, if one restrains such thoughts.
Shopping - The Jam: didn't know this one. Nicely meandering, like a walk down an urban high street. Laid back and restrained. Interesting.
Good Year For The Roses - Elvis Costello: I'm not as big a fan of EC as my wife, or my friends. It's nice enough. Musically, it's fairly unadventurous, but it's a good tune. Should probably read the lyrics to get a little bit more out of it.
The Happening - Supremes: short and sweet, perfect pop - no fuss, just gives you a little tickle and then clears off.
Sometimes - James. Not an Erasure cover. Has a driving force like The Arcade Fire writing an extra track for The Joshua Tree. Not overblown though, which is where James can come unstuck. A rutted downland path visible as far as the eye can see.

Right, I'll stop there for now. More tomorrow probably - seven tracks more.

Looking forward to the next installment! :)

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Well, I got a pass with distinction for part 1, but I'd settle for a simple pass with part 2. I might start a thrilling employee share plans thread. Or maybe I won't.

I'm in. I'm currently considering whether to transfer the ownership of an EBT from a group subsidiary undertaking to the parent - it's crazeeee round here! I promise not to post any more of this kind of stuff on this thread from now on - I'm going to be gorging on the employee share plans thread. It'll be massive.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Re: NSC Secret Santa CD 2013

Oh yes. The track listing :
6urana4y.jpg

As for guessing the sender, I'm going for Pevenseagull

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Santa has just paid me a visit. Review to follow as soon as I've had a listen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports