Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
'Here Come The Warm Jets' didn't make the cut ...................... now THAT is quality control.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I've got mine. I'll post the artwork tomorrow. Hitler is on the cover. ??? As my political position is left of centre, I take this possibly as a suggestion that I am a musical fascist. Which may be true.

There are many fine tracks on this CD. I will post a fuller review in time. This CD would be much appreciated by Hans Kraay Fan Club - it contains many of his touches - female vocals, lots of Smiths-related stuff, some gentle melodic tunes, attention to detail in the packaging and folding. However, my hunch is that if it was HKFC, it would be a bit more indie in content, whereas these tracks lie on the outskirts of Indieville and in the surrounding villages. HKFC may be throwing a curveball to fox me, but I'm guessing it's his good friend Buzzer.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I'm completely stumped as to whom my Santa is. If its any clue to anyone else who wants to hazard a guess, I THINK there was a London stamp on the envelope, but it was very blurred. Was the postman in on it, too?

*tinfoil*

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
NSC Secret Santa CD 2013

8uhegazy.jpg

Just received mine at work, will be listening to it on the way home!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Postie just dropped mine through the door too (and best of all, no postmark so I can re-use the envelope)

IMG_20131212_114147.jpg

I don't recognise a lot of the artists, but of the 3 or 4 that I do I've got a feeling it will certainly be listenable. Might not get a proper listen until tomorrow night when the Mrs is out.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Some of the Artwork is looking rather special. Pressure on for those who have still to 'create'

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
IMG_20131212_114147.jpg

I've listened to it tonight in full.

First let me say that the rest of this post might come across as pretentious bollocks, if so I apologise, I'm a simple man and I'm just giving my honest opinion.

First Impressions. Nice cover, bit of effort gone in there.

Numbers at the end represent how much (out of 10) I enjoyed it

Track 1 – Vinyl crackle. Punky. Fuzzy guitar. Quite raw, not heavily produced. 8
Track 2 – Jangly guitar. Lady singer. More modern, last few years perhaps ? 9
Track 3 – Mark E Smith instantly recognisable. Not a huge fan of The Fall. 6
Track 4 – Punk. Vocals a bit shouty. A bit Sham 69ish. 6
Track 5 – More melodic, heavy drums and bass, jangly guitar. Lady singer. 8
Track 6 – Heavy(ish) guitar. Another lady singer. 8
Track 7 – Jangly guitar band. Rather androgynous vocals. 8
Track 8 – Guitar pop. If Jerry Garcia formed an Indie band they would sound like this 9
Track 9 – Swell Maps ! Not heard them for a good few years. Always make me smile. 8
Track 10 – Not much to say, didn't like this one much. 5
Track 11 – Quite lively, recurring guitar riff. 7
Track 12 – Not very melodic. Lot of drums and shouting. Second longest track and felt like it too. 4
Track 13 – Pre-Television (who I have a lot of time for) Verlaine/Hell 8
Track 14 – Feedback/shouting/fuzz pedal. Rather formulaic. 4
Track 15 – Short, sweet and to the point. Fuzzy guitar, Lady singer. 8
Track 16 – Another quickie with a lady singer. Nice guitaring. 8
Track 17 – More fuzzy guitar. Vocals a bit under-produced, could have been more up front. 7
Track 18 – A bit Fall-esque – up front “talky” vocals and guitar.
Track 19 – Garage band. Proper good, like this a lot. 9(and a half).
Track 20 – Not sure about this, nice tune but a bit long. 4 minutes would have been enough. 5
Track 21 – Put me in mind of The Human League with guitars. 9
Track 22 – Like the guitar. Vocals a bit quiet. Very up-tempo. 8
Track 23 – Early 80's sound, has aged quite well. A nice finish. 8

Overall it's a good compilation although somewhat narrow in variety and it's lucky that it's the sort of music I like (mostly at least). There's half a dozen tracks on it that stand out for me and it'll become a regular listen (albeit with a couple of skips) in the car.
A note at the bottom of the track listing says “All pieces lovingly transferred from the original scratchy vinyl.” You can hear the vinyl noise on a few tracks and whilst I though it would detract from the listening experience, after a couple of times it stopped being noticeable. I'm still not resurrecting my vinyl collection though; I remain firmly of the opinion that CD sounds better.
In closing, I salute you sir, whoever you are. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here