Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The Bunny has paid me a visit this morning - review to follow in due course.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
Here's goes - arrived last week and thought it only fair to give it a few airings as I was unfamiliar with 95%.

1. Prince - I would die 4 you... Great start! Love Prince, though not one of my favourites.
2. Nerd - Things are getting better... Liked this!
3. U turn me on (Feat. Lil' Texas)... Quite funky.
4. 813 - XOXO... Not for me! Kids liked though, sounded like Alvin and the Chipmunks.
5. Jurassic 5 - What's golden... Love J5!
6. Sango - Pa Mala... Liked it! sort of Ragga I think.
7. Darq E Freaker - Blueberry (Pills and Cocaine)... I think pills and cocaine would make this track bearable.
8. Captain Murphy - Mighty morphin' foreskin... Nah
9. Raf Riley - Yo rudeboy... Kids loved it. I hated it.
10. Mr Carmack - WAIT... Not for me.
11. Mele - Beamer... Alvin and the Chipmunks again.
12. DJ Boy Drama - Bought a zone... bought on a migraine.
13. Ethernt - Tippin remix... Quite liked this.
14. DJ Paypal - Flowers... Great song ruined by the Chipmunks again.
15. Pharrell Williams - Gush (Blanco $crewmix)... Nice.

Got no Idea who my Bunny Is! Someone still at school I reckon.

Flex Your Head

Part 2 of my review.

11. Hurt – Johnny Cash. I love this now just as much as I did when I first heard it. Johnny Cash covering Nine Inch Nails doesn’t sound like it should work, but by golly it does. Still one of the best music videos ever. He knew he was dying when he recorded it and that just adds to the melancholic magnificence.

12. Transmission – Joy Division. Another old favourite and up there with the band’s finest moments. I remember seeing this on Something Else almost 35 years ago (shiiiiiiiit!)and feeling both concerned and entranced by Ian Curtis’s dance moves, particularly during “She’s Lost Control”.

Hooky has been a bass playing hero ever since. Sad I never got to see ‘em, but I did see an early New Order gig at Jenkinson’s - £1.90 for an advance ticket, £2.50 on the door!

13. Guide The Way – Eight Dirty Pages. ‘Fraid to say, but this just leaves me stone cold. Bluesy rock and... erm... that’s all I have to say really.

14. Do I Love You – Frank Wilson. I got confused and was expecting some Frank Turner, so it was a relief to hear some nifty, good times northern soul pumping out. I know very little about this genre of music, but everything I hear I seem to like. I must investigate further.

15. Insomnia – Faithless. This clocks in at 8 mins 42 secs. I thought it sounded vaguely familiar, but it wasn’t until about 2.50 when that famous keyboard riff kicked in that I realised I knew what it was. I bet this sounds awesome when you’re off your face on holiday and the sun is just rising and everything feels just perfect. Sitting here in T-shirt, shorts and slippers, I can confirm that it still sounds pretty bloody good, even if the volume is low so as not to wake the toddler!

16. Wrong ‘em Boyo – The Clash. Hurrah, more Clash! This is a great skanking cover of this which appeared on London Calling. Both versions are wonderful. We need more of this sort of thing.

17. Jailbird – Primal Scream. There was a time when I loved this mob, but sadly this Stones-by-numbers bluesy rocker leaves me colder than a witch’s tit in winter.

18. High Hopes – Kodaline. Pleasant enough(ish) power ballad-y thing for fans of Snow Patrol, Take That (in their slightly *ahem* 'tougher' moments), The Script and stuff like that. Unlike a lot of the stuff above, it won’t be finding its way on to my iPod.

And that’s it. A very decent compilation thank you very much, with waaaay more hits than misses. I have no idea who my bunny is, but I have a feeling they are probably in their mid 30’s and support Brighton & Hove Albion? Thanks again whoever you might be :thumbsup:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
My review:

1) A Minor Place - Bonnie Prince Billy; Has a slightly depressing feel. Not quite my cup of tea.
2) Silvermac - Westworld; A catchy number; Reminds me of the Lightning Seeds.
3) Glitches & Bugs - The Shortwave Set; Enjoyable slightly Beatles-ish sounding number.
4) Way Over Yonder In The Minor Key; Billy Bragg & wilco. Always got time for the Braggster. This is a really nice collaboration.
5) Temptation Of Egg - Giant Sand; Strange song with some weird sound effects. Not sure about this one.
6) Riding For A Fall - Horace Andy; Seriously good reggae number. Love this one.
7) Strawberry Letter 23 - Shuggie Otis; Never really taken to Shuggie. Find this a bit boring.
8) Mojo Hannah - Aaron Neville; Decent funky R'n'B number.
9) A Little Lost - Arthur Russell; Unusual love song with cello backing. Strangely hypnotic.
10) Ooh Las Vegas - Gram Parsons; Country rocker with some fine Albert Lee-style picking.
11) Girls - Sugarhill Gang; Disco rap nightmare! Sorry but really not my thing.
12) Wild Flowers - Ryan Nelson; Slightly whimsical but quite likeable outpouring.
13) Birds - Neil Young; One of the old boy's best songs.
14) The Night - Morphine; Moody enigmatic number with a Leonard Cohen feel to it. Really like this one.
15) Hurricane Betsy - Lightnin' Hopkins; Classic country blues. Coud happily listen to him all night.
16) It Was A Good Day - Ice Cube; I was quite ready not to like this but I do. Just goes to show, doesn't it?
17) I Belive In You - Talk Talk; Synthpop number. Found this a bit drippy.

An interesting and varied selection featuring several artists whom I'd never heard before. There were only a couple of numbers I really didn't like
and several that I really did. So, a definite thumbs up and a big thank you to my Bunny. As to his identity I would guess he's from the Worthing
area on the strength of the disc being hand delivered so I'll go for CorgiRegisteredFriend. Oh yes and the CD cover had a picture of Jimmy Melia
and Tony Grealish waving to the crowd as they lead the team out at Wembley.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
My review:

1) A Minor Place - Bonnie Prince Billy; Has a slightly depressing feel. Not quite my cup of tea.
2) Silvermac - Westworld; A catchy number; Reminds me of the Lightning Seeds.
3) Glitches & Bugs - The Shortwave Set; Enjoyable slightly Beatles-ish sounding number.
4) Way Over Yonder In The Minor Key; Billy Bragg & wilco. Always got time for the Braggster. This is a really nice collaboration.
5) Temptation Of Egg - Giant Sand; Strange song with some weird sound effects. Not sure about this one.
6) Riding For A Fall - Horace Andy; Seriously good reggae number. Love this one.
7) Strawberry Letter 23 - Shuggie Otis; Never really taken to Shuggie. Find this a bit boring.
8) Mojo Hannah - Aaron Neville; Decent funky R'n'B number.
9) A Little Lost - Arthur Russell; Unusual love song with cello backing. Strangely hypnotic.
10) Ooh Las Vegas - Gram Parsons; Country rocker with some fine Albert Lee-style picking.
11) Girls - Sugarhill Gang; Disco rap nightmare! Sorry but really not my thing.
12) Wild Flowers - Ryan Nelson; Slightly whimsical but quite likeable outpouring.
13) Birds - Neil Young; One of the old boy's best songs.
14) The Night - Morphine; Moody enigmatic number with a Leonard Cohen feel to it. Really like this one.
15) Hurricane Betsy - Lightnin' Hopkins; Classic country blues. Coud happily listen to him all night.
16) It Was A Good Day - Ice Cube; I was quite ready not to like this but I do. Just goes to show, doesn't it?
17) I Belive In You - Talk Talk; Synthpop number. Found this a bit drippy.

An interesting and varied selection featuring several artists whom I'd never heard before. There were only a couple of numbers I really didn't like
and several that I really did. So, a definite thumbs up and a big thank you to my Bunny. As to his identity I would guess he's from the Worthing
area on the strength of the disc being hand delivered so I'll go for CorgiRegisteredFriend. Oh yes and the CD cover had a picture of Jimmy Melia
and Tony Grealish waving to the crowd as they lead the team out at Wembley.

Sorry to say but it's not me! Good selection of tracks there though.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Not been reviewed yet but recipient has acknowledged the CD arriving.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Is there any chance of doing an end of season one please (pretty pretty please!!) I missed out on both the xmas and the easter ones by literally moments, so I REALLY want to to take part in the next one. I don't get much in the way of mail other than bills and pizza leaflets so it would make me feel loved!!!! Plus I already have a playlist ready and waiting :D

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Is there any chance of doing an end of season one please (pretty pretty please!!) I missed out on both the xmas and the easter ones by literally moments, so I REALLY want to to take part in the next one. I don't get much in the way of mail other than bills and pizza leaflets so it would make me feel loved!!!! Plus I already have a playlist ready and waiting :D

Joining in isn't a guarantee of receiving anything. I'm still waiting for mine.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

I think this Easter event has spilled over into an end of season one to be honest! The start of next season in August would be a good time for another. I think a deadline needs to be set for this current event, end of May at the latest?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I agree the deadline should be the end of next week. Those who haven't yet sent their CD can they please do it asap. Anyone who is having problems sending theirs please PM so we can try to sort something out.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Sorry I've taken so long over this. I would like to thank my sender. Not only were both CD's full of great music, they were mainly unknown to me and had a really good theme and stuck to it.

I received 2 CD's one of selections from this year and last and one from The Albion's glory years (1979-1983.) Neat idea huh? The first CD was mainly electronic with a bit of noise and a shoegazy, c-86 conclusion. The second ran the gamut of what we know as an extremely fertile period for British music post-punk/new wave.

CD 1
Death and Vanilla – From Above
Breathy chanted vocals, lovely melody
The Mistys – Stalking
Reminded me a bit of the Knife, really nicely produced, slightly distressed electro-pop
DVA Damas – Half-mask
A bit darker, more post punky than the previous stuff
Bill Baird – Skull Castle Decorator
Spooky garage rock sound. Efficient, with an emotionless vocal. Soaring background guitars over a basic rhythm
Dead Fader – In Colour
A bit of bass here, fractured synths, slightly chiptune, I zoned out for a bit and felt like I was in the middle of a slow moving Cardiacs track. Great stuff.
The Rattler Proxy – McReady’s Blues
Very first album Suicide start, in fact very Suicide all the way through
Pharmakon – Bang Bang
One of the few tracks I did know – bloody excellent, completely unhinged cover. I’ll have to revisit her album, don’t think I gave it enough time.
Girl One and The Grease Guns – The Nightmare Room
Noisy post-punky thing with a noise like a Spectrum loading, juxtaposed with a sweet female vocal.
Listening Centre – Titoli
Simple electro affair – kind of washed over me, pleasant if a little undiverting.
La Femme – La Femme
Big bassline, African percussion to start before it goes a bit Bollywood. Very impressive stuff. Ended up getting the album.
Focus Group – Kinky Korner Klub
Fractured, beautiful, deconstructed rock and roll. A beguiling, challenging noise.
Outfit – House on Fire
Like a New Romantic house track. Spandeau Ballet meets Inner City.
Dissolved – Forgotten Processes
After a long intro it was Very Warp records Aphex/ u-ziq. Production sounded a bit intentionaly aged/ distressed. Went on a bit too long, attention wandered.
Vessel – Misery Is A Communicable Disease
Aloof Minimal techno with some cool ambient synth at the ends
Lorelle Meets The Obsolete – Sealed Scene
Imagine if the Black Keys were a female fronted shoegaze outfit. Derivative but good.
La Luz – Brainwash
I love this sort of gear. Short, snappy lo-fi, melodic all girl band. Nice pre-chorus, good vocal harmonies. Lovely organ sound.
Trin Tran – Eyes The Sound
Imagine a cross between A Place To Bury Strangers and Thee Oh Sees, fronted by Andrew Eldritch. Good track.
Skinny Girl Diet – 14-16-18
c-86’y punk thing. Appreciated the lyrical theme but not really enough going on.
Roladex – Nuke It Out
Punky electro-pop. Didn’t really get going even the breakdown at the end.

CD 2
Lori and The Chamleons – Touch
This had something to do with Bill Drummond if I remember correctly – you can tell, just the right balance of pop and battiness.
Au Pairs – Diet
Slits/ Gang of Four. Monstrous dubby bass line – all sorts of guitar ****ery going on on top.
Theatre of Hate – Nero
Epicness of PiL at their best with the funkiness of Gang of Four.
Partisans – Police Story
Reminded me of early black metal, not a massive fan of this oi sound.
Serious Drinking – Love on The Terraces
Sort of reminded me if Sparks – wasn’t really too keen.
Higsons – Conspricay
Almost hip hop/rap vibe. Love the influence of reggae in post punk
Rip Pig and Panic – You’re My Kind of Climate
I know RP&P through On U Sound and Neneh Cherry but that’s Ari Up on vocals isn’t it? Either way a really interesting track
Shriekback – My Spine Is The Bassline
At separate times reminded me of Alan Partridge playing the bass and Wham rap but oozing influence – INXS in particular, will investigate further
A Certain Ratio – Knife Slits Water
Throbbing Gristle style basic electronics meets funk bass
SPK – Metal Dance
Industrial techno now wave female influenced punk. Reminded me a bit again of The Throbs. Like a more up to date Blue Monday.
Asscociates – Kitchen Person
Sounds Like early LCD Soundsystem on bad speed. Brilliant.
Human League – Empire State Human
Early Human League – still had the whiff of New Romantic for me, though I could also hear plenty of Kraftwerk. Big chorus.
Passage – XOYO
A bit too close to new romantic for my liking but the chorus was pretty memorable
Names – Night Shift
Like a proto Smiths with less interesting guitars. Pretty good.
Pauline Murray & The Invisible Girls – Mr X
Reminded me a bit of Atomic by Blondie without the shit rap. A bit repetitive but liked it nonetheless.
Magazine – Sweetheart Contract
Fantastic Song, probably the best of the CD. Post-punk, catchy. Sound like a more immediate Wire.
Comsat Angels – Missing In Action
Reminded me of a less obtuse Pere Ubu which is a very good thing. Will definitely search out more.
Delta 5 – Mind Your Own Business
The Gossip nicked the bassline for Standing In The Way of Control. It's like some mid point between The Slits and Bannanrama.
Girls At Our Best – Heaven
It’s got that gypsy punk thing I love about early Cardiacs going on, Basic melody, vocals not totally up my street.
Pink Military – Did You See Her?
Really enjoyed this, simple verse chorus/ verse chorus thing going on but an excellent vocal makes the difference.
Young Marble Giants – Final Day
Really minimal, almost sketch of a song. Loved the ethereal vocals, musically it sort of reminded me of Guided By Voices.

My sender definitely knows their onions and their knowledge of 79-83 feels first hand rather than retrospective. I have no idea. Identify yourself!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here