Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Ok, here is my overly long and musically uneducated review.

As regards the artwork/presentation, probably the least said about it the better although in its defence it was……er, personalised and……er……hand drawn!

NSC Easter Bunny CD Cover.jpg

NSC Easter Bunny CD Track Listing - 1.jpg

NSC Easter Bunny CD Track Listing - 2.jpg

As for the tracks themselves:

1. This was a secret track which turned out to be Alan Partridge reporting from the Olympics! A somewhat unexpected opening to the CD but its solid Partridge fayre nonetheless.

2. The Raconteurs - “Level”: I’d heard of The Raconteurs but didn’t really know anything about them other than the track ‘Steady as she goes’, so much so that I hadn’t actually realised that Jack White was involved with them. It’s probably unsurprisingly therefore that as I was listening to this track I did think to myself that it sounded remarkably like the White Stripes, which is usually no bad thing as far as I am concerned. A good solid opening track and at less than two and half minutes it didn’t over stay its welcome. I’ll definitely look into more of The Raconteurs back catalogue.

3. Rage Against The Machine - ‘Tire Me’: Again, I know very little about RATM but if asked I’d have said that their music involves lots of fast, loud guitars, shouty vocals and a general cacophony of noise. This track ticks all those boxes! Not sure I’d manage a whole album of theirs though.

4. Fields - “Heretic”: The opening few seconds reminded me of The Kinks song ‘David Watts’ for some reason but this track quickly veers off from that once the vocals kick in as it’s a lot more ethereal and electronic than Ray Davies! (Google tells me they were an Anglo-Icelandic electronic indie band so that would probably explain that!) The pace never drops with this track and at key stages the instrumental break actually picks up the pace nicely before slowing back down again at the end. Before, if you’d have offered me the choice between an afternoon listening to Anglo-Icelandic electronic music or an afternoon watching football at Selhurst Park I’d have probably gone to check the train times to Norwood Junction but this track has made me re-think things a little and maybe I’ll listen to some of Fields other output.

5. The Walkmen - ‘The Rat’: Another track that starts with fast guitars and loud drums, so that was a good start and then the vocals kick in with just the right balance of rauchiness/volume to give feeling to the lyrics. A rollicking good indie/rock track, just a shame they have recently gone on an "extreme hiatus”.

6. The Cold War Kids - “Hang me up to dry”: This track caught my attention from the first time I listened to this CD and is probably my favourite one. The track has an interesting blend (to my ears at least) of blues/honky tonk with maybe even a bit of calypso thrown into the mix and distinctive vocals (all of which reminded me of the late 80’s album Sour Mash by the Mystery Girls). The only negatives were the piano breaks in the middle which sounded more like they were breaking a piano by pushing it down some stairs and should probably have been left out along with the sound effect at the end of the track of something being hung up to dry - it’s not big and it’s not clever!! However, despite that, I’ll definitely be delving into their back catalogue.

7. Queens of the Stone Age - “Make it wit Chu”: A slight change of pace with this track which is a bit mellower than the previous one but still in the indie/rock genre with a nice bass line and pace throughout (which gets the toes tapping!) and some indulgent guitar playing in the middle. Not a band I know that much about but again will keep an ear out for their stuff in the future. The only thing that slightly grated was the use of ‘wit chu’ in the song title….. too cheesy for my liking?

8. Pedro The Lion - ‘I do’: This track dropped the pace still further with a fairly slow, almost ambient sound at the start that developed into a more musical rhythm. To begin with it sounded as though it should be something I’d like but the earnest vocals and lyrics (along with what seemed an endless repetition of the song’s title throughout) meant that for some reason it just annoyed me. In parts it reminded me of Elbow although I quite like some of Elbow’s stuff. It felt like the sort of track/artist that has probably won a lot of critical acclaim but it just didn’t work for me! My least favourite track of the CD.

9. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - ‘Turn Into’: This track picked up the pace again with a stripped down vocal and sound which was more to my liking. Another track that would probably be classed as indie rock but with female vocals this time. In parts it reminded me a little bit of Siouxsie and the Banshees and there is nothing wrong with that! The Yeah Yeah Yeahs are another band that I’ve heard of but wouldn’t have been able to immediately identify any of their songs but will definitively take note of them in the future.

10. Kashmir - ‘Kalifornia’: This was a difficult one to review as it didn’t really register with me when I was listening to the CD in the car but having had another chance to listen to all the tracks it’s probably got a bit more going for it that I first thought! It is clearly a track that needs your full attention and yet doesn’t quite grab your attention or at least it didn’t grab mine initially. Another indie type sound with plenty of guitars and hints of Manic Street Preachers and Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I want to persevere with this track and maybe get to hear some of their other stuff.

11. The Race - ‘Raising Children’: This was another fairly up beat (indie/rock) track but it didn’t really stand out when I listened to the CD in the car (maybe my musical attention span isn’t very long when driving?) It’s inoffensive but isn’t really distinctive enough even when giving it my full attention. A track you can sing/hum along to but it didn’t really stay long in my consciousness.

12. James Yuill - ‘This Sweet Love’: Apart from the odd snippet I haven’t really heard any of Jack Johnson’s music but if you’d played me this track and told me it was from Jack Johnson’s new, slightly more electronic album then I probably would have believed you. Apparently James Yuill’s type of music is actually called Folktronica, so I’ve learnt something new. The track itself has got a reasonably pleasant rhythm and laid back feel to it and wouldn’t feel out of place wafting across middle class gardens on a summers evening as the last of the embers of the BBQ die out. At the risk of dabbing it with faint praise, for me, it falls into the category of ‘inoffensive’!

13. The Last Night - ‘No Mother Knows’: Another low key offering that somehow didn’t really register with me when listening to the CD in the car. The track has a haunting, rhythmic quality to it which is complimented by a somewhat subdued vocal. It reminded me a little of Talking Heads or perhaps more accurately some of David Byrne’s more recent solo work. It’s an interesting listen which needs a few plays to really appreciate. Despite being somewhat underwhelmed by it to begin with, it’s growing on me and I’ll probably try to listen to a few more of their tracks.

14. Interpol - ‘Hands Away’: Both this track and the next one largely passed me by when listening to them in the car. There is nothing to particularly dislike about either of them but somehow they are just a bit unremarkable. Having listened to this one again a couple of times I can see why it didn’t register as its largely an instrumental track during which nothing really happens and it takes over half of the song’s three minutes playing time to actually get going.

15. The Strokes - ‘Slow Animals’: This probably suffered during my original listening from (a) coming after the previous track and (b) having a jaunty intro but relatively subdued vocals, so that despite it reminding me a little in parts of The Killers (yes, I know The Strokes came first!), the song didn’t really lodge in my head. Having listened to it again several times, I can’t help but remember a review that referred to them as producing chainstore indie music and this track in particular does have an indie-music-by-numbers feel to it.

16. Pink Floyd - ‘Hey You’: It’s got the familiar soaring guitar bits, the drum bits, the piano/organ bits, Dave Gilmour’s vocals, Roger Waters’ vocals. All the boxes are ticked for pure Pink Floyd.

17. The Queens of the Stone Age - ‘Vampyres of Time and Memory’: I’ll assume having this track after ‘Hey You’ was intentional as it segues beautifully from it and you could easily believe that it was the next verse of ‘Hey You’. It’s got a fairly low key start, the vocal backed by piano has hints of 70’s Bowie about it but then it moves up a gear becoming a bit more power ballad and theatrical - even having a bit of a rock opera feel to it but in a good way, if that isn’t an oxymoron!! A good finishing track and reaffirms my earlier thoughts that I need to listen to more of Queens of the Stone Age.

I’ve got no idea who sent this CD (I assume the American indie bias will give away the identity to someone here?) but thanks for putting it together; it’s widened my musical knowledge and I really enjoyed listening to it, so as far as I’m concerned the NSC Easter Bunny CD has been a big success. It will widen my CD collection over the coming weeks that’s for sure.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Purely for the Interpol inclusion, I'd guess at [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] (who still hasn't done the review of his PROPER track list, btw...)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I did confirm I'd recieved my CD. I'm really busy at the moment and will try my hrdest to get a review up before The Great Escape this weekend but in all likelyhood I think it will be next week.

I reckon my sender was Red Star Portslade btw.

Sorry I'd missed your post confirming you'd received your CD. The sender isn't Red Star Portslade though..

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Purely for the Interpol inclusion, I'd guess at [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] (who still hasn't done the review of his PROPER track list, btw...)

Bear in mind I had to undergo counselling following my last "review"...apologies, on the way. Have enjoyed what I've heard so far...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Written half of my review, will finish up the other half tonight and post.

WHO ELSE HASN'T REVIEWED YET?!?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Written half of my review, will finish up the other half tonight and post.

WHO ELSE HASN'T REVIEWED YET?!?

I haven't. But then I only recieved my CD at lunchtime today, and haven't actually played it yet...

It did come with an APOLOGY for TARDINESS, though :thumbsup:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I haven't. But then I only recieved my CD at lunchtime today, and haven't actually played it yet...

It did come with an APOLOGY for TARDINESS, though :thumbsup:

Little tip: Do play the actual CD. Don't just assume the tracklisting is accurate and play them on Spotify or YouTube or something. I mean, this is obvious, but some people really are that thick.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Little tip: Do play the actual CD. Don't just assume the tracklisting is accurate and play them on Spotify or YouTube or something. I mean, this is obvious, but some people really are that thick.

Good tip!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Right, "this is the real quiz", so to speak. I have listened to each of these at least once BEFORE looking at the (real, cleverly hidden) track listing.

I'm probably not the best Bunny to compile for as I'm a musician and very, very picky with what I like and don't, and find it hard not think how I'd do things differently when listening to arrangements and EQing etc.

All that said...

1. Irene - Stardust

Interesting. Just getting into it and it ends. Fair enough, short and sweet intro to the album. Quite enjoyable, 90s with elements of post punk, new wave. Intro sounds like The Cure covered by Sufjan Stevens, then vocals kick in.

8/10.

2. The Field Mice - This Love Is Not Wrong

Yup, getting strong hints of The Smiths and The Cure here, 80s/90s new wave. Good stuff, slight downmark for vocals which aren't completely my cup o' tea but enjoy the song overall.

7.5/10

3. Codeine Velvet Club - Hollywood

Now THAT is an intro. That's the sort of intro the word "rollicking" is made for. Biggest compliment I can give is that earlier while listening in the car I replayed the first 20 seconds 3-4 times, louder each time. Great stuff.

Some interesting parts, really enjoy the variation in the choruses. Confident and relaxed. Came back to this after a few days and really, really enjoyed it. An early highlight.

Will look into this band a bit more, thanks.

9/10.

4. Mary Lou Lord - Some Jingle Jangle Morning

Like the bass and drums intro. Not big on vocal style but become quite intrigued by some of the lyrics. About Kurt Cobain apparently. Really interesting. Nice song, doesn't over complicate with production or anything else as it doesn't need to.

7.5/10

5. Heavenly - Me And My Madness

Like the guitar in the verses, quite Interpol - pretty sure the bunny is aware of my predilection for said post punk doom mongers? Overall cannot decide whether I like the song or not, there are many parts and ideas I like but the scuzzier, rockier parts are not my bag. Also not mega into the female vocals again, preferred the vocals and lyrics on 4th song.

6.5/10

6. Felt - Serpent Shade

Really enjoy this. My Bunny has been quite brave putting an instrumental track this early, but also might've guessed from my taste in music that I'm quite comfortable with this sort of thing. I am.

8.5/10

7. Dinosaur Jr. - Freak Scene

One of those bands I'd always meant to check out.

Nothing against it, but didn't do a huge amount for me either. Solid enough grungy indie and enjoyed a couple of the breakdowns.

7/10

8. Red Sleeping Beauty - Don't Say You Love Me

Shades of the other bands mentioned earlier but also a bit of Lightning Seeds as well perhaps? Nice enough, more summery indie but again it's not a vocal to my taste. Couple of good synth lines.

7/10

9. Gudmundur Ingolfsson Trio - Pad Sest Ekki Saetari Mey

Well, this is a familiar voice isn't it? Bit of a left turn for the album, but a very welcome one. Bjork's voice is a bit marmite but luckily for my Bunny I'm a fan.

It's an interesting number, almost in the vein of a Bacharach standard, or a jazzier As Time Goes By?

As mentioned before, really nice timing in the album for this so enjoyed it a lot.

9/10

Mid album summary - technically we've just had the 9th song of 16 but the album feels like it's taken a natural pause, or segue.

I've really enjoyed the album so far and especially the fact I've not come close to recognising any of the songs as yet. So far I'm getting a sense of a Bunny quite into lo-fi warm scuzzy shoegaze(ish) indie from 80s-90s.

10. Camera Obscura - Eighties Fan

Another band I've been meaning to check for quite a while, and have had a number of recommendations from friends.

Love the sparse production on this one, another female vocal but enjoy this one a bit more than a few of the earlier. Like the slow builds in verses to chorus each time.

Opens up really nicely for the middle 8. Lyrics that make you feel wistful and melancholy, nice. Good tune.

8/10

11. Pocketbooks - Fleeting Moments

My Bunny definitely has a thing for understated female vocals. Strong guitar intro.

Soaring indie pop - would be great at a sundrenched festival.

7.5/10

12. Club 8 - Football Kids

Similar to a number of other tracks on here - female vocals, summery, melancholic, dreamy - but something about the production this one was spot on for me. Really enjoyed this one.

Checked out Everything Goes by Club 8 as well, thanks for this.

9/10

13. The School - I Don't Believe In Love

Great lyrics. Like the verse melody. Pretty classic structure/chords but pulled off well.

8/10

14. Primal Scream - All Fall Down

Ah! A band I've heard of.

Wow, this sounds like VERY early Primal Scream. Very innocent. Fascinating find.

There's charm in his off key singing at points, reminds me of whatshisname from Hope Of The States

7/10

15. The Drink - Playground

Nice rhythm on intro, really nice guitar work. Again for me the vocals are a bit too wishy washy, sorry. Saved by some really good musicianship and interplay at points between guitar and bass.

7/10

16. Veronica Falls - The Fountain

Yes. Just yes. Great guitar sound, great harmonies, really nice sense of drama and foreboding in the intro. Really like this. Will definitely check out more of them and a great way to end the CD.

9/10

Overall - really enjoyed it. Delighted at how many new bands I've discovered, and definitely will follow up on some of them. Thanks!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The song would be worse if his singing was better.

Ain't that the truth.

Primal Scream went massively downhill when he got his vocals all polished up.

Its not a 'find' [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] - its the real Primal Scream, at their Indie peak. Have a listen to 'It happens' for another perhaps even better example of their early brilliance.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ain't that the truth.

Primal Scream went massively downhill when he got his vocals all polished up.

Its not a 'find' [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] - its the real Primal Scream, at their Indie peak. Have a listen to 'It happens' for another perhaps even better example of their early brilliance.

It was a "find" to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here