Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Received mine today- had arrived whilst I was at work. I have been treated to a double CD. One UK artists and one US. Some great inner case photos!!! and on the front a team pic with Mullery.
Many thanks to whoever you are... I am going to give it a decent listen over the next few days and will write a proper review- hopes are high.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Mine has arrived, a good mix of artists I know but might not know the track and some stuff that is new to me. Obviously I know who sent mine but I'll post a review and let everyone else guess who sent it.

I'm just trying to finalise the track listing for the one I am sending so hopefully it should be posted out by the weekend.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Right, this thread is lacking a bit of urgency, I think. I'll kick off with a review. My CD has a fairly plain cover - three vertical, wide blue stripes and two white. No wording. Back cover has tracklisting written in pen. All upper case. I would guess the writer is right-handed. Fairly neat and painstaking - this NSCer is fairly orderly and likes to do a good job. Anyway, onto the music (which is of a kind I'd not normally listen to). I'll do this review ion two or three parts:

Whiskey Ghost - Buddy Guy: starts off swampy and sultry, unsettled air. A chilling tale of a man fighting the demon drink, delivered in the framework of confessional, fevered vocal offset by a guitar break after each verse. The guitars are light and relatively restrained, nice sliding here and there, haunted backing vocals. Smooth, good stuff.

Choo Choo Mama - Sean Chambers: well-paced bluesy rock and roll. A familiar 12 bar kind of tune, slightly throaty vocal, some fast fretwork going on here, latter instrumental breaks put the spotlight on the keyboard, and then back on the rock guitar - arpeggios, sustained high pitch notes, no doubt accompanied by a little rock and roll gurning (and why not?). Won't change the world, but good fun.

Fan The Flames - John 'Juke' Logan: this is more old school, rudimentary rock and roll with a late 50s/early 60s feel (although no doubt recorded much later) with no frills, coupled with some bluesy stuff. Nice harmonica solo. Keeping it simple, and none the worse for it.

Chasin' Tail - Anni Piper: starts off like a Black Sabbath song, kind of hard rock bluesy kind of thing. Vocals are confident, quite deep, possibly sassy, and would suit both the blues and rock genres. Some impressive guitar work - whole lot of riffing, licking, soloing (including brief wah-wah effect) going on. Sounds like it would go down well at the appropriate kind of festival. Quite like.

She Does It Right - Wilko Johnson: quite a short track. A shift here towards a more English style, punky touches to the rhythm and blues. Punchy, crunchy guitar. Terse and to the point. No flab on this song - good effort.

Lookin' For A Leader - Neil Young: Trademark "on the edge" overdriven Neil Young guitar. Nice enough, prescient lyrics, not one of my favourite NY songs, but certainly nothing wrong with it. Solid.

Liberated Woman - Zoe Schwarz and Blue Commotion: stripped back beginning. Again, a blues song. Laid back, expressive vocals, variable intonation and phrasing, occasionally moving through the gears a bit. Quite interesting. Guitar break is nice and clean. Silly Hammond organ solo - aren't they always - but intentionally light and fun. Followed up by a jaunty harmonica solo. Clearly would work as an "introducing the band" piece. Is Zoe English? Quirky and light - nice.

Right, I'll do more later.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
..and didn't you say that yours was a thing of beauty or grace or something? Come on people - there's lots of music to listen to and talk about!!

It is - a beautiful thing.

I have the CD tracklist as a folder on my car music system, and have been playing it constantly.

The recipient is a VERY lucky (and seemingly UNGRATEFUL) chap. :jester:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I've just done mine and 'test driven' it out on my son whilst driving him half way across Brighton. Very pleased with it but just a couple of track changes needed we thought. Will be in the post at the weekend.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Received mine last week - many thanks to whoever hand delivered it. Was in Germany for the past week so received plenty of plays on the journey down and back. Will review soon. My tunes have been choosen, just need to complete the artwork and will send!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here