Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Now Murray's back, how do you feel ?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Vydra scored 3 in 30 for Reading last season.

OK, he had 1 good game against us when at Watford, but surely we have moved on from the days when a good performance earns a contract at Brighton ?

What about the other 20 goals he scored that season ?.... lets face it last season was the first time he has not scored frequently in the Championship......

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Shouldn't that be 78 rpm? Or more accurately 78/79?

And what about the bloke who kept you up in 2009 - Calvin Andrew? A loan signing from Palace.

Incidentally is Glenn the only player to have appeared for both clubs in a sandwich mode?

The Calvin Andrew who scored 3 goals in 3 starts and 6 sub appearances? Yes - he single handedly kept us up that season without any help from Owusu, Hart, Forster, Bradley Jonhson or... Oh yeah Glenn Murray!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
So now that it's official how do you feel about it ?
I'll admit I gave him the dogs abuse when he played against us for Palace, but I had the upmost respect for him for not celebrating his goals, I'm not sure I would have been quite so dignified!
So Glenn Murray I would like to sincerely apologise for calling you the things I did, and I sincerely hope you ram them back down my throat by scoring an absolute shed load of goals and get us promoted !

Not quite sure about this. I don't doubt his ability, and hope that it works, and think that on balance it could prove to be a shrewd move for him and the club. BUT, I recall him leaving, saying that he wanted to return to the North and where did he go? There were suggestions from fans all those years ago, that at times he did not always have his heart in it, and I do recall Poyet saying, in as many words, that he was difficult to manage, and we now hear that he did not get on with Howe. One might say that a pattern is emerging.The last we need is someone to disrupt dressing-room camaraderie, though one should also add that similar accusations were levelled at Poyet. Also, he lives in Brighton, and time will tell if playing again for the Albion is just convenient, or whether he has genuine affinity for the club - one hopes the latter. I am not trying to be negative - on balance this does seem like a good move; just have those nagging doubts.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not quite sure about this. I don't doubt his ability, and hope that it works, and think that on balance it could prove to be a shrewd move for him and the club. BUT, I recall him leaving, saying that he wanted to return to the North and where did he go? There were suggestions from fans all those years ago, that at times he did not always have his heart in it, and I do recall Poyet saying, in as many words, that he was difficult to manage, and we now hear that he did not get on with Howe. One might say that a pattern is emerging.The last we need is someone to disrupt dressing-room camaraderie, though one should also add that similar accusations were levelled at Poyet. Also, he lives in Brighton, and time will tell if playing again for the Albion is just convenient, or whether he has genuine affinity for the club - one hopes the latter. I am not trying to be negative - on balance this does seem like a good move; just have those nagging doubts.

Your memory is two years out. He put in a transfer request to move to a club up north when his first missus left him with their baby. He was pretty cut up about it. He also had problems with a hernia op having to done two or three times. He didn't get his request & after a while, he met a Brighton girl. He had a daughter with her, & married her. Elliott Bennett was best man (evidence on Twitter).
That's why he lives in Brighton & wants to stay local now.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The official website, as quoted by Thunder Bolt, says he is flying out and looking at Easy Jet a flight today or tomorrow is £168 I am sure that we could afford that.

I'm sure Glenn could afford that. On £20k per week, using a 40hr week benchmark [I know its different for pro footballers] it's 20 minutes work for him.

£168 is loose change to a £20k a week pro ....

Might be a month's pension for you - very different ....

grassy11

Jan 26, 2010
Murray will take goals and make goals for others, and will bring out the best in anyone around him.

Don't know about bringing the best out of the players but with skalak / knock art/ Murphy he will get good ball / opportunity which he should thrive on, not the quickest (even in his twenties) but good movement of the ball. Goal every other game will take, better option than Bobby

Redundant Gigolo

Jan 19, 2016
I'm a little taken aback that people aren't more excited by this news.

I couldn't give a fig if he's a little quiet, or withdrawn in public or with the media. With our current set-up and approach this is possibly an absolutely superb signing.

Never been quick. Never relied on pace. Just a very shrewd player who gives us so many options at both ends of the pitch.

I'm personally delighted. I'm never going to have Christmas dinner with him so his social and media skills are irrelevant to me. Will he add huge Value to us?

Yes.

End of debate.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm sure Glenn could afford that. On £20k per week, using a 40hr week benchmark [I know its different for pro footballers] it's 20 minutes work for him.

He won't be paying for his own fare.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

The club would probably reimburse the fare anyway, bearing in mind it's a business trip . . . so to speak.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Murray could have another 30+ season with Knocky & Skalak delivering their world class crosses and set pieces. Yet we still need a number 1 star striker IMHO. Last year's Burnley signing of Gray is exactly what we should try and emulate this year.

cunningplan

Apr 1, 2011
Sussex Coast
This is a convenient reunion for all parties. I hope it is also an effective one - but would find it laughable if Murray kissed the badge in a goal scoring celebration.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
From his interview he hints at being here next season, which means he's looking for a contract beyond his loan. Which is great news.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here