Now I don't want to mock the Welsh, but hey, it is Friday

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Check out the recording of the call
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7489457.stm

:lolol:

Police say UFO was just the Moon

Police called out to a 999 call about an unexplained object in the night sky solved the mystery straight away for their operator - "it's the Moon, over."

But the emergency call meant the officers were sent out to a house in the valleys area of south Wales.

They were told a "bright stationary object" was spotted above the unnamed caller's home. A recording of the call has been released as part of a police campaign asking people to use 999 appropriately.

The Control Room conversation, which took place in May, was recorded - and below is a transcript:

Control Room: "South Wales Police, what's your emergency?"

Caller: "It's not really. I just need to inform you that across the mountain there's a bright stationary object."

Control room: "Right."

Caller: "If you've got a couple of minutes perhaps you could find out what it is? It's been there at least half an hour and it's still there."

Control: "It's been there for half an hour. Right. Is it actually on the mountain or in the sky?"

Caller: "It's in the air."

Control: "I will send someone up there now to check it out."

Caller: "OK."

The mystery was soon solved, as the exchange between control and an officer at the scene, makes clear.

Control: "Alpha Zulu 20, this object in the sky, did anyone have a look at it?"

Officer: "Yes, it's the moon. Over."

Control room staff have also had to with a stream of unsuitable calls made on the 999 number during an "extremely busy period", said a spokesman. Another caller rang asking for help when they wanted to vote for Rhydian on the TV programme X-Factor. Another wanted a pound for their supermarket trolley.

Following the calls, South Wales Police has changed the way it answers the phone. Instead of saying "South Wales Police, how can I help?", control room staff now say "South Wales Police what is your emergency?"

Since the change, they have reported a 10% drop in 999 calls.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I had cause to call the Police on Monday night and they turned up like a f***ing rocket. I like the police. That is all.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I just love the caller's voice.

It's a bit Uncle Bryn from Gavin & Stacey

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sorry Edna, but I find your thread offensively dayist. Why should mocking the Welsh be confined to a Friday? ???

Because Thursday is reserved for the Scots, and Monday through Wednesday for American-baiting?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here