Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] NOT the 25 Man Squad - Loans, transfers and rumours

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He’s miles off any of our squad so he doesn’t deserve a ‘chance’

He's still only 21, has had one reasonably successful Championship season, and his services are now sought by more than one Championship club. Doesn't deserve a chance is a tad harsh!

Let's see how he does after another championship season, or with Anderlecht, who are also apparantly interested (although TBF, I think they only want a permanent deal).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He's still only 21, has had one reasonably successful Championship season, and his services are now sought by more than one Championship club. Doesn't deserve a chance is a tad harsh!

Let's see how he does after another championship season, or with Anderlecht, who are also apparantly interested (although TBF, I think they only want a permanent deal).

Why does he deserve a chance though ? Which 2 players in his position is he better than ? We are aspiring to be a consistent top half team - and that’s a long way from a ‘good’ loan at Blackburn or Sheffield United.

I go to England games with a Blackburn fan and although he says he’s technically good, his decision making and final ball is poor and defensively he struggles. That’s a long way off being ‘given a chance’ for a top 10 premier league side

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why does he deserve a chance though ? Which 2 players in his position is he better than ? We are aspiring to be a consistent top half team - and that’s a long way from a ‘good’ loan at Blackburn or Sheffield United.

I go to England games with a Blackburn fan and although he says he’s technically good, his decision making and final ball is poor and defensively he struggles. That’s a long way off being ‘given a chance’ for a top 10 premier league side
Maybe he's a season's development work off being worth a chance in the PL.

Maybe he won't, but 'at least we might get our money back, doesn't deserve a chance' is still harsh.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Maybe he's a season's development work off being worth a chance in the PL.

Maybe he won't, but 'at least we might get our money back, doesn't deserve a chance' is still harsh.

I’m still unsure why ‘he deserves a chance’

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields

This

Funny how Manure were interested at the time we signed him. He must have had some potential.

As I say, at least we may get our money back. Good luck to the lad in his future career

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I’m still unsure why ‘he deserves a chance’

It's just such a derogatory way of putting it. In context, it implies a degree of blame, like it's his fault. If he hadn't tried, or if he'd persistantly ignored coach's instructions or advice, or if he'd been given chance after chance and blown them all, then he would be undeserving.

For instance, Connolly's detractors might use the expression with possibly some justification, but has Khadra wasted any chances (and I'm not referring to those in front of goal)?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It's just such a derogatory way of putting it. In context, it implies a degree of blame, like it's his fault. If he hadn't tried, or if he'd persistantly ignored coach's instructions or advice, or if he'd been given chance after chance and blown them all, then he would be undeserving.

For instance, Connolly's detractors might use the expression with possibly some justification, but has Khadra wasted any chances (and I'm not referring to those in front of goal)?

You’re over thinking it. In my view no one ‘deserves’ a chance except based on hard work and talent. We took what 28 players to Portugal? Who would you not have taken in any position he plays to ‘give’ him a chance ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You’re over thinking it. In my view no one ‘deserves’ a chance except based on hard work and talent. We took what 28 players to Portugal? Who would you not have taken in any position he plays to ‘give’ him a chance ?

You're missing the point. You (I presume) and I are not PL footballers because compared to, say, Cucurella, we are/were crap at football. Now I don't know about you, but the amount of effort and hard work I put into trying to become a decent footballer in my teenage years certainly deserved some sort of reward - but being crap at it the reward never came. It was because I was rubbish, not that I didn't deserve anything.

It's not a question of who would I have left out of the trip to Portugal. I would say that he was somewhere around borderline for the 28, but obviously didn't quite make it. No problem with GP making that decision. Another loan (if he signs an extension so he doesn't just leave for nothing) or a sale or loan with an agreement to buy are the obvious next steps - I think we both agree on that. The language used - we won't, so best leave it there.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Rumours on Twitter of Maupay to Salernitana.

Originating from the newspaper Il Mattino, apparently, where the Salernitana owner says that they're bringing in a striker "soon" and that he will be "very strong" (which can be read in different ways but for Salernitana Maupay would be a massive signing).

The newspaper states that sporting director Morgan de Sanctis went to London a couple of weeks ago to discuss with Brighton, and that contacts are now "denser".

Would be a little bit surprised to see him move to Salernitana but there's a bit too much details to rule it out.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Originating from the newspaper Il Mattino, apparently, where the Salernitana owner says that they're bringing in a striker "soon" and that he will be "very strong" (which can be read in different ways but for Salernitana Maupay would be a massive signing).

The newspaper states that sporting director Morgan de Sanctis went to London a couple of weeks ago to discuss with Brighton, and that contacts are now "denser".

Would be a little bit surprised to see him move to Salernitana but there's a bit too much details to rule it out.

Something of a shock to know that Maupay is not in the 25 man squad any more, TBH.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here