Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Not Maguire again !!!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No way will he start, Ten Bag isn’t stupid
Frustratingly, this is surely the correct answer.

Maguire has made it clear that money is his motivation and perhaps his passion in life, his preference to sit on Manure’s bench rather than lead West Ham’s defence under a limited manager who appreciates his simple skills should have signalled his permanent entry into the international wilderness.

He won’t get any minutes against us on Saturday which is incredibly annoying but hopefully, we’ll have more than enough without his blunders and own goals.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
That was a disgrace last night. When Gheui had to go off it was literally served up on a plate for him to bring on Colwill into a PROVEN partnership, it was a f***ing no-brainer, but oh no let’s bring on a player whose confidence must be rock bottom. That wasn’t man-management that was throwing a player to the wolves.
Where does Maguire go from here? I almost feel sorry for him. Southgate is a fraud and an utter bellend to boot.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Frustratingly, this is surely the correct answer.

Maguire has made it clear that money is his motivation and perhaps his passion in life, his preference to sit on Manure’s bench rather than lead West Ham’s defence under a limited manager who appreciates his simple skills should have signalled his permanent entry into the international wilderness.

He won’t get any minutes against us on Saturday which is incredibly annoying but hopefully, we’ll have more than enough without his blunders and own goals.
Don’t they have a load of defender injuries? Johnny Evans had to come on last week.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Don’t they have a load of defender injuries? Johnny Evans had to come on last week.
Varane and Shaw are out. I believe Martinez is back, if he isn't they have big problems, agreed. As it stands lindelof plays Saturday which is good for us

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Southgate needs to recognise that his continued insistence on putting Harry Maguire in the firing line whilst desperately short of confidence and match fitness is contributing to the abuse that HM is receiving.

I don't like it - for whatever his faults may be, it's not nice to witness. But Southgate saying "He is a top player" and was "a big part of the win" last night just makes Southgate look daft and weakens his position as manager.

As others have said, the situation was PERFECT for Colwill to come in and partner his old buddy in central defence. I feel pretty certain we would've kept a clean sheet if he had.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Southgate needs to recognise that his continued insistence on putting Harry Maguire in the firing line whilst desperately short of confidence and match fitness is contributing to the abuse that HM is receiving.

I don't like it - for whatever his faults may be, it's not nice to witness. But Southgate saying "He is a top player" and was "a big part of the win" last night just makes Southgate look daft and weakens his position as manager.

As others have said, the situation was PERFECT for Colwill to come in and partner his old buddy in central defence. I feel certain we would've kept clean sheet if he had.
I agree yes, on the basis that i've seen quite a lot of Levi Colwill and i've never seen him clumsily shank one into his own net like Mgauire did

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree yes, on the basis that i've seen quite a lot of Levi Colwill and i've never seen him clumsily shank one into his own net like Mgauire did
We immediately looked slower, deeper and less confident when Maguire came on, which handed the initiative to Scotland for 20 minutes or so.

Luckily, Scotland didn't take the opportunity - a better side would've.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
That was a disgrace last night. When Gheui had to go off it was literally served up on a plate for him to bring on Colwill into a PROVEN partnership, it was a f***ing no-brainer, but oh no let’s bring on a player whose confidence must be rock bottom. That wasn’t man-management that was throwing a player to the wolves.
Where does Maguire go from here? I almost feel sorry for him. Southgate is a fraud and an utter bellend to boot.
I wouldn’t feel sorry for him, he has had plenty of opportunities to develop or to move but he would prefer the £££.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I don't get any defence of Maguire, let's not forget the player decided to stay at United for money instead of move and play week in week out, play in Europe and captain the side.

Maguire is the reason he's out of form, not playing and getting abuse

Southgate should have ended his international career the moment he turned down West Ham

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Southgate might think he's helping Maguire by standing by him but he's actually making things worse for the player without knowing it. Standing by him should be supporting him personally, advising him to go to West Ham or wherever to get game time and reassuring him that he'll be straight back into the squad as soon as he finds a bit of form. Instead, he's putting a player bereft of confidence out to receive abuse and putting a player with very little game time out to show himself up at international level. He's doing more harm to Maguire than good and he's too arrogant to see it.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
From a human perspective I have some sympathy with both Maguire and Southgate. The first has been taking a lot of bullying for a sustained period and the second is trying not to abandon someone who has helped him with every squad he's taken to a tournament.

However, we all know that football is a cut throat business. Kids who don't meet the grade are cast aside as teenagers. Players who slip are replaced by younger players. Players who want to move strike to force the issue. Everyone is, in some way, out for themselves and the most successful managers have all had to be a bit hardfaced. Southgate has been more loyal to his player than anyone could hope to expect in this environment, but he really should have spoken to Maguire about his club situation. It was a perfect opportunity to say 'I want to keep picking you Harry, but you need to be proving that I'm right to do so.'

The reporting of the potential move to West Ham suggested that a deal was done, but hit a stumbling block because Maguire was due a £7 million pay off from Man Utd and wouldn't budge on it. If this is true, some might say that this is fair enough: he was due it and its a lot of money to give up. Others might wonder whether someone being paid £190,000 per week, who has made somewhere between £30 & £40 million over 4 years at MU, might ask himself whether he is continuing his career for the money or to play football. West Ham were not exactly going to be putting him on the poverty line and would have given him regular football in a formation that suits his strengths. Moving and proving himself would have eased both his and Southgate's lot.

However, for England it's probably best that he didn't. Maguire is a very good centre back, but he is not a 21st century centre back. He cannot do the things that tactically progressive managers like Pep, Klopp, Arteta, ten Hag & RDZ need a centre back to do. Those managers are Southgate's role models. He is coaching their players. He's not going to get the best out of the creative attackers by asking them to play a low block counter attacking style like West Ham or Brentford's and he can't play one style in defence and another in attack. It must surely now be obvious to Southgate that the progressive teams' defenders do different things than Maguire does. A lot of Maguire's problems are caused by being asked to play in a different way to what he's been used to. He has not been capable of making the change required of him. He's been overtaken by players who may not be better defenders, but who are better footballers. In this England team he just looks like a man out of his time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here