Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not letting the Scots have the pound

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Is that right?

I know that scots living in the rest of the UK can't vote, but I didn't realise that those living in, say the USA can.

How can that be right.?

It's not true. To be able to vote you must be :
British citizens resident in Scotland.
Qualifying Commonwealth citizens resident in Scotland. This means Commonwealth citizens who either have leave to remain in the UK or do not require such leave, and are resident in Scotland.
Citizens of the Republic of Ireland and other EU countries resident in Scotland.
Members of the House of Lords resident in Scotland.
Service/Crown personnel serving in the UK or overseas in the Armed Forces or with Her Majesty’s Government who are registered to vote in Scotland.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Just like the UK with the EU then.
Please explain how we benefit from the EU,we pay £50m a day for what ? We import more than we export to the Eu,the whole currency of the Euro is corrupt...their accounts have never been ratified,the EU gravy train is so full of nepotism...AKA the Kinnock family,Kinnock,his wife,his kids,all with secretaries and researchers, let alone the countries who put in their 'top' boys,the moving of the EU parliament from Brussels to Strasbourg...which cost millions...just to keep the French happy...the Euro which has a the same rate for all countries...which Spain,Italy,Greece,Ireland cannot compete....nothing to say we can't trade with European countries,but it is a world market now.
I know you have your views which you are entitled too...but we have ours too and I'm sure the Euro elections this May,will give us an a clearer answer.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Actor Brian Cox, Scottish, who lives in USA, said on the One Show this evening that he cannot vote.

I was amused by the Scots they interviewed who live in England but believe they should have a vote too; If they are so bothered about it, simply go and live there and register, there's nothing stopping them.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Is that right?

I know that scots living in the rest of the UK can't vote, but I didn't realise that those living in, say the USA can.

How can that be right.?

Sorry, Happypig is right, i have just googled it. I was given false info about a year ago, but it still means a Polish plumber in residency in Scotland canvote, but Jock McTavish, the kilt maker in South Berwick can't

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Please explain how we benefit from the EU,we pay £50m a day for what ? We import more than we export to the Eu,the whole currency of the Euro is corrupt...their accounts have never been ratified,the EU gravy train is so full of nepotism...AKA the Kinnock family,Kinnock,his wife,his kids,all with secretaries and researchers, let alone the countries who put in their 'top' boys,the moving of the EU parliament from Brussels to Strasbourg...which cost millions...just to keep the French happy...the Euro which has a the same rate for all countries...which Spain,Italy,Greece,Ireland cannot compete....nothing to say we can't trade with European countries,but it is a world market now.
I know you have your views which you are entitled too...but we have ours too and I'm sure the Euro elections this May,will give us an a clearer answer.

And the recent floods
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/...ls-disaster-is-being-driven-by-EU-policy.html
Just to shed some light on this. This from the EU Dredging Association......seems we were instructed to cut back on dredging about 7 years ago.
http://www.european-dredging.eu/pdf/EuDA_06.pdf

Government consultation continued into 2005, making it very clear that a "new strategic direction" was involved, one which involved changing the emphasis from flood protection to allowing certain areas to flood. For Somerset, this had already been spelled out in an EU-funded conference in Warsaw in 2003, outlining the results of the Ecoflood projects at a cost of €350,000, finalised in 2005.

Flood defence for farm land, along with high levels of subsidies, had been for many years an important element of Britain's production-orientated agricultural policy, wrote the authors. Many floodplain areas benefited from publicly-funded flood defence and land drainage schemes which reduced crop damage and facilitated a change to more intensive farming systems.

Recently, however, they continued, policy emphasis has been placed on environmental enhancement, on greater diversity of economic activity as a basis for sustainable rural livelihoods, and on public enjoyment of the countryside. Funds previously committed to support farm output are increasingly diverted to encourage land managers to deliver environmental benefits.

In this context, we were told, there is reduced justification for high standards of flood defence for agriculture. Indeed, there may be substantial benefits if some floodplain land is returned to its previous unprotected, un-drained condition.

Therein lay the death knell for the Somerset Levels, as a new term was to dominate policy: "Washland". This was an area of the floodplain that was to be allowed to flood or was deliberately flooded by a watercourse for flood management purposes.

Unacknowledged by either government, the media or even Chris Smith in his current diatribe, this policy was given legislative force, not by the Westminster parliament but by an EU directive 2007/60/EC of 23 October 2007 on the assessment and management of flood risks, the so-called "Floods Directive".

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I was amused by the Scots they interviewed who live in England but believe they should have a vote too; If they are so bothered about it, simply go and live there and register, there's nothing stopping them.

now i do wonder if there's scope for numbers of English to register as resident up there... and vote Yes to help them on their way :whistle:

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
There is one aspect of Scottish independence that has been ignored by the media. If they left the UK then they would also leave the EU and would have to re-apply as a new member. This is not an overnight process and could take years. All the time they are out of the EU their citizens would lose their automatic right to travel and work freely through the union. We could even ask all the resident Scots in England to apply for work visas etc etc. "Rump of British jobs for Rump of British workers!"

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Qualifying Commonwealth citizens resident in Scotland. This means Commonwealth citizens who either have leave to remain in the UK or do not require such leave, and are resident in Scotland.
Citizens of the Republic of Ireland and other EU countries resident in Scotland.
Service/Crown personnel serving in the UK or overseas in the Armed Forces or with Her Majesty’s Government who are registered to vote in Scotland.

Presumably this would mean all those professional Scotsmen like Rod Stewart and Sean Connery won't be able to vote.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Apart from anything else I have greatly enjoyed watching Mr. Salmond and co twisting slowly in the wind as they try and think up a plan B. live on TV.

Perhaps one of our resident constitutional or economic experts can enlighten me as to why we are so desperate to retain Scotland in the Union? Why is Cameron sabre rattling and issuing threats over this?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You could be forgiven for thinking Cameron actually wants Scotland to vote YES. The only way this is likely to happen is if they feel the English are telling them what to do.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't understand what there is to debate here. If they leave, we both have a currency called the pound. Ours the British pound, theirs the Scottish pound. And it's up to us individually to look after our currency. Of course we don't share a currency.

And it's not us keeping the pound, and them not getting it. We both get our own currency, which starts life in the same place as our current pound. Isn't that quite simple?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Presumably this would mean all those professional Scotsmen like Rod Stewart and Sean Connery won't be able to vote.

Connery has said he won't live in Scotland until it's an independent country, so he's rather shooting himself in the foot (with a Walther PPK presumably)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Connery has said he won't live in Scotland until it's an independent country, so he's rather shooting himself in the foot (with a Walther PPK presumably)

He'll probably get special dispensation from Salmond to cast his yesh vote.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I don't understand what there is to debate here. If they leave, we both have a currency called the pound. Ours the British pound, theirs the Scottish pound. And it's up to us individually to look after our currency. Of course we don't share a currency.

And it's not us keeping the pound, and them not getting it. We both get our own currency, which starts life in the same place as our current pound. Isn't that quite simple?

Not as I understand it.
There is currently the Pound Sterling which is the currency of the UK and backed by the Bank of England. This will continue for England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Scotland will be a new nation and will therefore need its own currency which it will need to back by its reserves.
The current Scottish notes are not "real" money according to the BoE website : " issuing banks must back their note issue using a combination of Bank of England notes, UK coin and funds in an interest bearing bank account at the Bank of England."

And the recent floods
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/...ls-disaster-is-being-driven-by-EU-policy.html
Just to shed some light on this. This from the EU Dredging Association......seems we were instructed to cut back on dredging about 7 years ago.
http://www.european-dredging.eu/pdf/EuDA_06.pdf

Government consultation continued into 2005, making it very clear that a "new strategic direction" was involved, one which involved changing the emphasis from flood protection to allowing certain areas to flood. For Somerset, this had already been spelled out in an EU-funded conference in Warsaw in 2003, outlining the results of the Ecoflood projects at a cost of €350,000, finalised in 2005.

Flood defence for farm land, along with high levels of subsidies, had been for many years an important element of Britain's production-orientated agricultural policy, wrote the authors. Many floodplain areas benefited from publicly-funded flood defence and land drainage schemes which reduced crop damage and facilitated a change to more intensive farming systems.

Recently, however, they continued, policy emphasis has been placed on environmental enhancement, on greater diversity of economic activity as a basis for sustainable rural livelihoods, and on public enjoyment of the countryside. Funds previously committed to support farm output are increasingly diverted to encourage land managers to deliver environmental benefits.

In this context, we were told, there is reduced justification for high standards of flood defence for agriculture. Indeed, there may be substantial benefits if some floodplain land is returned to its previous unprotected, un-drained condition.

Therein lay the death knell for the Somerset Levels, as a new term was to dominate policy: "Washland". This was an area of the floodplain that was to be allowed to flood or was deliberately flooded by a watercourse for flood management purposes.

Unacknowledged by either government, the media or even Chris Smith in his current diatribe, this policy was given legislative force, not by the Westminster parliament but by an EU directive 2007/60/EC of 23 October 2007 on the assessment and management of flood risks, the so-called "Floods Directive".

1) For an EU Directive to become law it has to be adopted into national law by the member states that are impacted.
2) In the UK this is usually achieved via secondary legislation - ie a Statutory Instrument.
3) In this case, the relevant Instrument is "SI 2009/3042 - The Flood Risk Regulations".
4) SI 2009/3042 was published on 13th November 2009, laid before (ie approved by) the UK Parliament on 19th November 2009. The Regulations came into force on 10th December 2009.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove

So, as a wee Scottie living in Albionland, I cannae vote?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove

Scotland should go back to their old currency of £ s d.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here