Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nostalgia - Old Restaurants and Bars in Brighton

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
scooter1 said:
Saw my dads band support Toyah Wilcox at Jenkinsons in the early 80's

Wasn't Jenkinson's the club for the more discerning clientele? Otherwise known as grab-a-granny except for Sunday nights when they had bands playing ... saw Ultravox, Nash The Slash & Simple Minds play there late 70's/early 80s.

Happy days!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Lord Bracknell said:
From a very long time ago ...

The Alliance, the cider house in Edward Street
Now that was a cider bar! I've never drunk a scrumpy more potent. It felt like it was lifting your head off.
What about another drunks' haunt, Harrisons?

The Posada Cellar Bar which sold McEwan's Export.

The Devonshire up Carlton Hill sold scrumpy also.

What about the magnificently named Dog Tray?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
SussexHoop said:
Wasn't Jenkinson's the club for the more discerning clientele? Otherwise known as grab-a-granny except for Sunday nights when they had bands playing ... saw Ultravox, Nash The Slash & Simple Minds play there late 70's/early 80s.

Happy days!
Definitely discerning as I used to work there.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
roz said:
Have we had The Cottage in Middle Street, yet?

Just up the road from The Brain - the correct name of which I've forgotten.
The Brain was the nickname of the Full Moon in Boyces Street , the roughest cider house in Brighton.

lordlush1972

Aug 15, 2006
Newhaven
Has anyone said the cavern down black lion street next door to smuggelers now that was rough and ready, you used to have to dodge the ash trays that went whizzing past your head. Also the argyle down middle street on LSD happy days :p

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Restaurants:

- Le Grandgousiere (six courses for a tenner or something)
- Uncle Sams, Clock Tower
- Uncle Sams, London Road

Bars:

- Alhambra
- Buccaneer
- New Regent
- Art College Basement

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anybody else old enough to remember the days when you went to a club (before they were called clubs) on the seafront and to get round the local bye-laws, they had to put the houselights up at 11pm, serve you with a finger buffet - then they could put the houselights down again and then you could carry on carrying on. I mean, this went on well into the eighties if memory serves. Which it doesn't. Apart from maybe this once.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
The Belvedere on seafront - became shark bar later ?
Restoration - 1st floor in East st
The Zap with ONE tunnel only.. :smokin:
Coasters - saw B.A.D live there..
Volks Tavern. :safeway2:
Monty's Night Club in Montpelier St

After club parties at Shoreham.. :rave:

Ooo.. and Rains on Kings Road (1 plate of chips between 10 people, still drink on till 2/3am, big deal back in 1986..)

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
All these good old days....when the only REAL after club nosh was surely Market Diner..........everyone seems a little bored of this !!!.....pay for the 'Gutbuster' and get your tea at the counter and ticket...by the time you found a table...........the meal was already there...!!!

Bootifull

What was the name of the 'Burger Bar opposite the 'Suite' (Event)...??? even a place at the bottom of St James's Street but facing the 'Old Steine' and of course the good old....'Spinks Kebab Shop' and the Greek Fish&Chip Shop on the corner up by Brighton station....

Oh Well........Karma this Weekend...with all us 'old also run's...still tryin'...!!!!

BigGully said:
All these good old days....when the only REAL after club nosh was surely Market Diner..........everyone seems a little bored of this !!!.....pay for the 'Gutbuster' and get your tea at the counter and ticket...by the time you found a table...........the meal was already there...!!!

Bootifull
The good OLD days?

The Market Diner's still doing this.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
mona said:

The Posada Cellar Bar which sold McEwan's Export.

As I said before..............Auntie Yum Yum served in the upstairs restaurant steakhouse of the Posada................sigh................

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Lord Bracknell said:
The good OLD days?

The Market Diner's still doing this.

Yep I know that....but

Sooo many options closer to the town on a night out...that its tooo easy to have not to pay the extra money to get there and then get home............!!

This weekend I said to our group at the Brighton Festival...shamefully including our wives..!!!...shall we go there again.........but...before you know it I had 2 pizzas for the price of 1.........disgrace !!!

I am so sorry....;-)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here