Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nostalgia - Old Restaurants and Bars in Brighton

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The Concorde (the one and only Concorde) opposite the Palace Pier.

When I was 14 I had a job painting the toilets. I continued to paint them when the women were queuing up for the cubicles.
I got paid 20p an hour with free fish and chips.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I liked the Italian Taverna Sorrento in North Street between Hanningtons and Vokins. Early 80’s, proper eating out was not common amongst teens. So our first posh dinners without parents age 17 ish.

It wasn’t there long, moving to Dukes Lane instead.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Cactus Canteen was great, as was Blind Lemon Alley. HOWEVER, BLA replaced Annie's which was even better. They'd have an incredible lamb and apricot pie on occasionally as a special which would always sell out instantly - the staff said that everyone kept asking for it to be on the menu permanently, but never explained why they never did this!

Same era, Dig In The Ribs at the top of Preston Street.

Blinkers

Jul 8, 2020
Restaurants that have already been mentioned that I enjoyed going to and miss:
Blind Lemon Alley
Cripes
Dig in the Ribs
Samsons

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I remember a basement place called Bentley's in about 1976/77. For a short while, it was full of delightful young ladies who were mainly ex pupils of Hove County Grammar School for Girls and Brighton and Hove High School. I remember them playing lots of Hall & Oates and Little Feat. I can't remember anything replacing it and ever since seems to be the rather nondescript 37 West street :shrug:

bentleys.jpg

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I remember a basement place called Bentley's in about 1976/77. For a short while, it was full of delightful young ladies who were mainly ex pupils of Hove County Grammar School for Girls and Brighton and Hove High School. I remember them playing lots of Hall & Oates and Little Feat. I can't remember anything replacing it and ever since seems to be the rather nondescript 37 West street :shrug:

View attachment 177075
So that's where all the nice girls were...🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

View attachment 177075

That was a club for while in the mid 90’s. Called The Cube or The Joint or similar. I went there a few times. Was okay from memory.

It’s now a workspace for bright young things. Influencers and other bullshit artists.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
So that's where all the nice girls were...🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
I went on a blind date when I was 15.

We went to the pictures to see Planet of the apes, which turned out to be quite apt.
She was sat on the end of a row, and leaned over into the aisle, held one nostril, and snotted onto the floor.

I don't think she went to Brighton and Hove High school.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
That was a club for while in the mid 90’s. Called The Cube or The Joint or similar. I went there a few times. Was okay from memory.

It’s now a workspace for bright young things. Influencers and other bullshit artists.
Top of north street next to the toy model store? That was The Joint… seedy little dive club!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Google search…

Contact Information

The Joint
37 West Street
Brighton
BN1 2RE
Telephone: 01273 321692
Type of Business

The Joint are listed in the night clubs section here:

Music > Night Clubs

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Top of north street next to the toy model store? That was The Joint… seedy little dive club!

Okay. So this is interesting. Not a church but a school for poor girls and owned in the 90’s by none other than Steve Foster!…

“By 1990 it was operating as "Fozzie's Club",[16] owned by Brighton & Hove Albion F.C. player Steve Foster;[17] it later became "The Sanctuary", "The Shrine", "Club New York" and "The Church"[18][19] before being renamed "New Hero"—the name it bore until its closure in 2011.[20] “

I was going when it was The Sanctuary, The Shrine and Club NY.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Okay. So this is interesting. Not a church but a school for poor girls and owned in the 90’s by none other than Steve Foster!…

“By 1990 it was operating as "Fozzie's Club",[16] owned by Brighton & Hove Albion F.C. player Steve Foster;[17] it later became "The Sanctuary", "The Shrine", "Club New York" and "The Church"[18][19] before being renamed "New Hero"—the name it bore until its closure in 2011.[20] “

I was going when it was The Sanctuary, The Shrine and Club NY.

Did The Shrine have an occasional techno night on Fridays? Sure I ended up there a couple of times with a mate who lived just round the corner from it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Did The Shrine have an occasional techno night on Fridays? Sure I ended up there a couple of times with a mate who lived just round the corner from it.

It did. And and a school disco type thing. Which always sounded shit but was a laugh.

Back in the 90’s and 00’s when people who went clubbing didn’t take themselves too seriously and treated it as a fun time rather than going out to flex and try and Alpha everyone in the club.

It is such a different scene now. When I go past club queues now, it’s just scores of teens glaring at each other and giving out a very aggressive vibe. Mainly males.

I know there’s always been a bit of this but it’s very prevalent at the moment.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
What I miss after a gig or good session in town is......

Buddies...

Not the best food in town, but boy did it fill a hole
used to leave a hole pretty quickly too, if I recall...

More about the banter and more drinking time i guess.
o.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What I miss after a gig or good session in town is......

Buddies...

Not the best food in town, but boy did it fill a hole
used to leave a hole pretty quickly too, if I recall...

More about the banter and more drinking time i guess.
View attachment 177096

I miss that on the job. Doing night shifts Buddies was an oasis.

Nights out always ended with a gutbuster at Market Diner.

Queuing up to get in for ages.

Daft really. Would have been happy with going home for a slice of toast and bed.

But it was all part of the night out and the girlfriend at the time always insisted.

Is is still open 24hrs? Not been by there for years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here