Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norwood...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
No one player was to blame last night.

What do you mean? Do you not know this site? We lost last night so we have to pick out players to slag off and turn against them. I mean Norwood has done nothing. He played no part in big wins such as at Sheffield Wednesday and he definitely didn't come off the bench to provide an assist in our last win.

Also, Skalak didn't play last night so couldn't be the scapegoat.

As you say, everyone played poorly last night and made mistakes. To pick on one player is ridiculous.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't recall any of this moaning when Norwood provided the assist to Murray to get the winner against Cardiff just last week? The ONLY goal of a close encounter to get three vital points and HE set it up...

I'm not saying he's the greatest player in the squad, but it wasn't long ago that I recall people raving about his passing ability and saying how much of an asset he was. Not sure you can conclude that he is 'simply isn't good enough' – everyone had a shocker last night. It happens!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think the manager has to take responsibility for this one.

Hindsight is 20/20 but without Stephens, Kayal still not totally back up to speed, no Baldock as an outball in a game away to a very good side, we should have played 3 in central midfield. If we are totally wedded to a 2 it should have been Sidwell and Kayal.

Norwood is a very fine player in a side that sees a lot of the ball. That was always unlikely to be the case last night.

It's funny. Hughton was criticised heavily for playing 4-3-3 in some games last season e.g. Cardiff away where we lost heavily and now people are calling for him to do it. Seems like he can't win.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It's funny. Hughton was criticised heavily for playing 4-3-3 in some games last season e.g. Cardiff away where we lost heavily and now people are calling for him to do it. Seems like he can't win.

Personally I haven't had a bad word to say about him for 18 months but as soon as I saw the team yesterday, I knew he had got it wrong.

It happens. It's how we respond now that's important. Luckily, we won't walk into a performance like that again this season.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Once again showing he simply isn't good enough. Behind the play, no presence, poor passing and let udders just walk through him at times.

Look at how Mooy played last night - absolutely bossed the midfield - Norwood is nowhere near the player he is.

This is what I hate most about this site. People absolutely slating players. I'm sure you will say you are entitled to your opinion as a supporter. But, to me, starting threads calling players simply not good enough is not being a supporter. Constructive criticism is one thing. Absolutely hammering individual players is not being a supporter.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I think an issue is that neither of our two strikers are really good enough to play on their own up front in the middle which is what a 4 3 3 or 4 5 1 would require. Clearly we are better balanced if we have a Baldock type striker who drops off and comes back into midfield when the need arises.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Personally I haven't had a bad word to say about him for 18 months but as soon as I saw the team yesterday, I knew he had got it wrong.

It happens. It's how we respond now that's important. Luckily, we won't walk into a performance like that again this season.

Agreed. But he did get slated for changing to 4-3-3 in games last season and, on occasions when he's changed formation late in the game and we've conceded e.g. Preston home this season, he's also got criticised. I realise that wasn't necessarily you and I think we probably should have played the extra midfielder rather than a pairing that hasn't worked up front, however with Stephens out we only had three midfielders fit who have played in the league for us. Maybe that was the reason and we would have changed if Stephens was available.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Mooey was good but they had 3-2 in there and he was allowed to much space. He would look better in a 5 man and I think last night may of been ideal to play the 5 man midfield

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I don't recall any of this moaning when Norwood provided the assist to Murray to get the winner against Cardiff just last week? The ONLY goal of a close encounter to get three vital points and HE set it up...

I'm not saying he's the greatest player in the squad, but it wasn't long ago that I recall people raving about his passing ability and saying how much of an asset he was. Not sure you can conclude that he is 'simply isn't good enough' – everyone had a shocker last night. It happens!

Ahem ed

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Agree with that second paragraph..come out of Feb in the top two with a reasonable points margin and last night will be forgotten about

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Agreed. But he did get slated for changing to 4-3-3 in games last season and, on occasions when he's changed formation late in the game and we've conceded e.g. Preston home this season, he's also got criticised. I realise that wasn't necessarily you and I think we probably should have played the extra midfielder rather than a pairing that hasn't worked up front, however with Stephens out we only had three midfielders fit who have played in the league for us. Maybe that was the reason and we would have changed if Stephens was available.

It's not totally the formation though. If we were going to play 4-4-2, I think it had to be Sidwell and Kayal. It wasn't the game for Norwood. I don't agree with this commentary that Norwood isn't good enough but he isn't a guy that's going to boss a top side in a 4-4-2, he needs a bit of time. Sidwell and Kayal's graft might have gained more of a foothold in midfield and if Hudderfield hadn't got so on top, perhaps their ambition might have faded.

Anyway, it's done now. I just disagreed with the thrust of the OP and a lot of the anti-Norwood sentiment on here. Probably the same mob who think Baldock's rubbish. We missed him terribly last night.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I think it's time for a five man midfield ,Norwood would find it easier and make it a stronger midfield ,this would enable us to have more control of the game , unlike last night

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Everyone moaning that this is a just a reaction to last nights disgrace, it isn't. I've been saying he's a weak link all season. You can pick out a couple of things has HAS done but on the whole hes has been way below par with the rest of a well performing team. Obviously we've been well and winning which is why his performances (or lack of) tend to be overlooked.

The fact that its pretty much agreed we need to have 5 in midfield for him to be able to cope should give you an indication as to his ability. I also don't think he has ever had a shot on target and I'd be willing to stick my neck out a wager he wont help the team with a goal all season.

Not a scapegoat. Not moaning for sake of moaning. Just not the right choice IMO - heres hoping he proves me wrong (he wont :) ).

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It's not totally the formation though. If we were going to play 4-4-2, I think it had to be Sidwell and Kayal. It wasn't the game for Norwood. I don't agree with this commentary that Norwood isn't good enough but he isn't a guy that's going to boss a top side in a 4-4-2, he needs a bit of time. Sidwell and Kayal's graft might have gained more of a foothold in midfield and if Hudderfield hadn't got so on top, perhaps their ambition might have faded.

Anyway, it's done now. I just disagreed with the thrust of the OP and a lot of the anti-Norwood sentiment on here. Probably the same mob who think Baldock's rubbish. We missed him terribly last night.

Agreed. The last few games have shown us how important Baldock is for us. Maybe the people who slate him will shut up now

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Everyone moaning that this is a just a reaction to last nights disgrace, it isn't. I've been saying he's a weak link all season. You can pick out a couple of things has HAS done but on the whole hes has been way below par with the rest of a well performing team. Obviously we've been well and winning which is why his performances (or lack of) tend to be overlooked.

The fact that its pretty much agreed we need to have 5 in midfield for him to be able to cope should give you an indication as to his ability. I also don't think he has ever had a shot on target and I'd be willing to stick my neck out a wager he wont help the team with a goal all season.

Not a scapegoat. Not moaning for sake of moaning. Just not the right choice IMO - heres hoping he proves me wrong (he wont :) ).

It is irrelevant whether it's based on one game or all season, your original post was a disgrace. Slagging off one player is not what fans do. Opinion is one thing. Slagging off and making a scapegoat of one player is not what supporters should do

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here