Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Northern Ireland v England

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
And another attendance record smashed last night. Over 15K; the highest attendance for a womens' match in Northern Ireland.

Despite the OTT reaction of a few dinosaurs, the womens game continues to attract new fans and goes from strength to strength.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Watching women's football with my daughter because she enjoyed it is what got her into football which in turn meant I could go to Albion men's games again because she wanted to come with me...I'd stopped going for a few years because I'd always feel so guilty at missing family time at weekends after a week away at work. Some of my favourite Albion memories are in the East Stand family area in the early years of the Amex with her next to me just loving the occasion and giggling any time a song had a rude word. She's older now and doesn't come with me anymore except for cup games, though she's dropping hints she might want a season ticket in a couple of years. We still watch the occasional Lewes women's game together though and we've got tickets to a few of the Euros games this summer. I really enjoy it. If you go expecting it to be like a men's game you might be disappointed, but if you watch it for it's own merits rather than making comparisons it's great and as both a parallel to the men's game and a gateway to enjoying it for some I've got nothing but praise for it.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Watching women's football with my daughter because she enjoyed it is what got her into football which in turn meant I could go to Albion men's games again because she wanted to come with me...I'd stopped going for a few years because I'd always feel so guilty at missing family time at weekends after a week away at work. Some of my favourite Albion memories are in the East Stand family area in the early years of the Amex with her next to me just loving the occasion and giggling any time a song had a rude word. She's older now and doesn't come with me anymore except for cup games, though she's dropping hints she might want a season ticket in a couple of years. We still watch the occasional Lewes women's game together though and we've got tickets to a few of the Euros games this summer. I really enjoy it. If you go expecting it to be like a men's game you might be disappointed, but if you watch it for it's own merits rather than making comparisons it's great and as both a parallel to the men's game and a gateway to enjoying it for some I've got nothing but praise for it.

spot on AND there is no where near the level of cheating and rolling around as happens in the men's game and no VAR. To me the weakest part is the goal keepers , this will improve once they start to poach some six foot girls from the net ball teams. As you say watch it for it merits not its weaknesses.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Some of my fondest memories of my Dad is going to the Goldstone with him. Funnily enough, he would have fitted right in on Nsc, as he loved a good old moan about the games.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The N.Ireland manager Kenny Shiels, has landed himself in a bit of a storm for these comments after last night's game, suggesting that game management in women's football is not good, because they are all 'too emotional'...

"I'm sure you will have noticed if you go through the patterns - when a team concedes a goal, they concede a second one in a very, very short space of time.

"[It happens] right through the whole spectrum of the women's game, because girls and women are more emotional than men. So, they take a goal going in not very well."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61089471

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I agree that the England women's team IS impressive, but then they are funded by the Premier league giant clubs. The problem is that most other nations are not, so,you end up with the size of scorers that I haven't seen with my son's football since the days of Under 9s and Under 10s, i.e. winning 20-0 vs Latvia. The other day Sweden beat some minnow 15-0.

Any comparison between Rooney and White is a joke.

I partially agree but it's a bit harsh to say Rooney and White being compared is a joke I think. Without belittling Rooney's impressive achievement at all (and at a very quick cursory glance, happy to be proved wrong) only 5 teams he scored against while playing for England were top 10 FIFA ranked nations. Almost 1/3rd of his total England goals came against Macedonia, Liechtenstein, Estonia, Kazakhstan, San Marino, Montenegro and Andorra. The gulf between England women and Macedonian women is greater than England men and Macedonian men true, but White has scored against 7 of the top 10 ranked FIFA sides - only a handful more of her goals compared to Rooney have come against under-funded minnows in games with embarrassing scores too. They aren't that different I don't think.

No-one is saying one is better than the other. In relative terms it's a comparable achievement, no different from comparing Rooney's record with Bobby Charlton's (which was arguably against tougher opposition) - Rooney and Charlton got their records in different times and different circumstances, but the comparison stands, same as for White and Rooney I reckon.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I partially agree but it's a bit harsh to say Rooney and White being compared is a joke I think. Without belittling Rooney's impressive achievement at all (and at a very quick cursory glance, happy to be proved wrong) only 5 teams he scored against while playing for England were top 10 FIFA ranked nations. Almost 1/3rd of his total England goals came against Macedonia, Liechtenstein, Estonia, Kazakhstan, San Marino, Montenegro and Andorra. The gulf between England women and Macedonian women is greater than England men and Macedonian men true, but White has scored against 7 of the top 10 ranked FIFA sides - only a handful more of her goals compared to Rooney have come against under-funded minnows in games with embarrassing scores too. They aren't that different I don't think.

No-one is saying one is better than the other. In relative terms it's a comparable achievement, no different from comparing Rooney's record with Bobby Charlton's (which was arguably against tougher opposition) - Rooney and Charlton got their records in different times and different circumstances, but the comparison stands, same as for White and Rooney I reckon.

I agree that there are 15-20 decent women's sides but outside of that the drop-off is huge. Just look at how some of the bigger nations got on in 2021 against countries we would class as middle ranking:

Greece 0-10 France
Germany 7-0 Bulgaria
Germany 7-0 Israel
Germany8-0 Turkey
England 8-0 North Macedonia
North Macedonia 0-10 England
Hungary 0-7 Spain.

I do agree that at the elite level women's football has a lot going for it, but in 10 years time England women will probably have 8 or 9 players that will have outscored Rooney. England have scored 72 goals in the last year (11 matches), whereas the men's team have scored 50 in 19 matches.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The N.Ireland manager Kenny Shiels, has landed himself in a bit of a storm for these comments after last night's game, suggesting that game management in women's football is not good, because they are all 'too emotional'...

He has worded that badly, conceding a goal at any level is hard and your head can go just look at Southampton. Its on him and his team to make the players mentally stronger and prepare them for that challenge of conceding and moving on. Its not a matter of being a man or woman its a matter of professionalism and mental strength as well as ability that can help you move on and come back from going a goal or too down.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

He has to go surely? I would love to see women coaching / managing womens teams at all levels. This ridiculous old dinosaur is an example of why. His players must have wanted to punch his lights out last night. And quite right too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Women’s teams don’t concede goals in clusters because of emotional instability.

They do it because the keepers are shit.

:moo: :hilton:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here