North stand standing what a joke

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
As I said later on you 'twat'. It still is the law. Its contract law. When you enter that stadium you have signed a contract with BHAFC to follow the ground regulations. If you stand then you have broken those regulations and that's that. Law has been broken.

By allowing standing in part of the North Stand and the away end, is the club not in breach of the safety certificate? They can't have it both ways - throw some out for breaking the rules whilst doing it themselves?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
As I said later on you 'twat'. It still is the law. Its contract law. When you enter that stadium you have signed a contract with BHAFC to follow the ground regulations. If you stand then you have broken those regulations and that's that. Law has been broken.

Words fail me :facepalm:

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Words fail me :facepalm:

Seldom do I ever agree with you, but......this.

I heard stewards before the game going on about "no softly softly, no f***ing about today" to each other by the West side entrance to the North, and so it proved.

We went into the NW corner for the second half, right up the back. I can confirm The Judge was in attendance up there, under the police box, and stone me was it loud!!!!! Brilliant atmosphere (with about 30 or so up there). Definitely up for a move up there next season.

As for the stewards, what concerned me most was that there were 15 Stewards in the NS in the second half and TWENTY THREE for the NW corner......I don't know if they thought they had Billy the Kid, Charlie Manson and the cast of Green Street in the NW corner or what.....but it was a total piss take in my opinion.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
Isn't that a civil case then so one you cannot be arrested for

I didn't say that anybody could be arrested. I just said laws were broken, you could end up with your season ticket taken away, or even before a court (although the club wouldn't do that). Nobody has been arrested for standing, just removed from the stadium. If they have been arrested it will be for criminal offences.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Talking about laws civil or otherwise is simply confusing the issue here.

You aren't breaking the law by standing but the club has the right to exclude anyone not conforming to the ground regulations. So no complaints really, although I support safe standing.

The police do have a right to arrest you for smoking in the stadium.

As it is a civil issue I was always surprised at the interest the police took at Withdean. Nothing to do with them is it ?

Then again I'm also surprised by sniffer dogs at Clapham Junction station. Since it's nothing to do with terrorism I understand they only get away with that because it's private property.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If you breach a contract then you are in breach of contract law, the majority of which can be found in common law as opposed to any statutes.

Actually contract law is generally subjective and requires both parties to give their sides of the story in court before a judgement can be made as to whether a contract has been broken. By standing a supporter "may" have broken the contract but not necessarily contract law.

Either way, it's amazing how many people from both sides of the argument have weighed in with insults ( many from their first post ). That's why safe standing will be a long way off - just breaking the regulations ( not the law ! ) and then both sides hurling abuse at each other is no way to get things changed. A mature, well argued campaign will - thankfully the FSF are slowly getting that together.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
my usual seat from day Amex opened is in row W (now X) in NS so I've stood every game in North I've been to, but I also have a SW corporate for business so can see the pros and cons both ways - I remember the presentation for NS where back 4-5 standing was clearly mentioned as permitted/tolerated (verbally if not in writing) so fully understand why people are aggrieved here - but when all is said and done ultimately we are all paying guests of TB and the Club and as it is their club / stadium, whether any of us like it or not they set the rules for us entering and if we don't like then, they we can chose not to go to games - anyone whose paid for their ticket in full and in advance could legitimately ask for a refund back if in last 4-5 rows of NS if they say only bought as clearly led to believe they could stand here, but everyone else has not got a leg to stand on. From day 1 the standing has been from rows 8-12 back so the club should be sensitive to fact they allowed this situation to arise against their own rules so if they enforce do it gradually and sensibly rather than pick on 1 or 2 people and make examples - The reality here is if all 4 back rows handed their tickets back on principle, the club would easily fill these seats with people willing to accept being seated all times. This reminds me of Sparticus, there are a lot of people on here who seem willing to sacrifice themselves in the belief a collective approach will sway the owners to back down - like in Sparticus all that will happen is the whole group will eventually be made an example of and once starts you'll quickly see so the 'group' melt as people realise what risk losing - having fought so many years to get a stadium, and to have a team worth watching week in, week out, I find it amazing any single 'fan' would risk being ejected or even banned on what is in reality a point of principle that cannot be won here.

bring_zamora_home

Mar 16, 2011
I've stood in row s block c of the north stand for every home game as has everyone around and two rows in front of me not once have we been asked to sit down, why all of a sudden are we going to be made to sit and sit I will not also why shoul I have to move to the new corner seats to get a back row seat and end up with a worse view

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Either way, it's amazing how many people from both sides of the argument have weighed in with insults ( many from their first post ). That's why safe standing will be a long way off - just breaking the regulations ( not the law ! ) and then both sides hurling abuse at each other is no way to get things changed. A mature, well argued campaign will - thankfully the FSF are slowly getting that together.

You have got this completely wrong. The 'no standing' brigade are not against standing per se - a dedicated area would be fine. What they are against, is people randomly standing in front of others that have paid good money to watch the game whilst sitting down.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Agree everyone knows what the north stand is like and has the chance to get a ticket elsewhere

This is rubbish. Does it say on the ticket that people will stand in front of you? Does the ticket office offer a warning? Dont make such sweeping assumptions. There are many casual watchers that may take a ticket in the north.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
I didn't say that anybody could be arrested. I just said laws were broken, you could end up with your season ticket taken away, or even before a court (although the club wouldn't do that). Nobody has been arrested for standing, just removed from the stadium. If they have been arrested it will be for criminal offences.

What made you choose Aseros as a user name Mr Barber?

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
You have got this completely wrong. The 'no standing' brigade are not against standing per se - a dedicated area would be fine. What they are against, is people randomly standing in front of others that have paid good money to watch the game whilst sitting down.

There isn't random standing you plonker.

People stand in groups, in the North.

Have you even been in the North stand, or to the Amex at all?

:banghead:

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
This is rubbish. Does it say on the ticket that people will stand in front of you? Does the ticket office offer a warning? Dont make such sweeping assumptions. There are many casual watchers that may take a ticket in the north.

When I purchased my season ticket for the North stand two years ago they 'said' standing wouldn't be a problem in the rows situated to the back of the stand. I'd say that was a pretty sweeping statement fro the club themselves. It's not been a problem for a season and a half why should it be a problem now? Why didn't the club impose a strict non standing policy from the start? Why don't you take a day off? You might enjoy yourself

bring_zamora_home

Mar 16, 2011

It's the 2nd season so any season ticket holders from last year had the chance to move, any new would have been told about it and any true Brighton fan wanting a ticket in north stand would know what it's like, there are no spare seats anywhere near where I sit so won't get casual people sitting there and that's a good thing that's why the atmosphere is good as we are all season ticket holders

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports