Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] North Stand Scudmore Protest

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Indeed. I liked this particular bit...

For last Saturday’s game against Leicester at the Amex, Brighton & Hove Albion’s chief executive, Paul Barber, wrote a veritable essay about it in his programme notes, in which his sighs at the misrepresentation of the £5m payment are almost audible.
“This is an entirely normal contractual agreement for very senior and highly sought after executives,” huffs Barber of the Scudamore golden handshake, in comments reproduced in the Brighton Argus, “and it has been designed by the Premier League’s board to protect the league’s commercial interests and those of it’s shareholders – including our club!”

Paul? Take your jaunty little exclamation mark and do one, there’s a good chap.

Ouch.

Well, I'm glad it has been designed by the Premier League’s board to protect the league’s commercial interests and those of it’s shareholders. Because it hasn't been designed to protect the interests of future supporters. My two children - both under 10 - wanted to come to their first Albion game next month. When I went to buy the tickets for ONE game for the 3 of us, the total came to just under £150. No way am I paying that, so we're off to another game somewhere else. Admittedly, not Premier League, but we'll have a great day and I won't go home feeling like I've just been mugged by a bunch of multi-millionaires - all in the league’s commercial interests and those of it’s shareholders, naturally.

£150 is prohibitive. Everton at home for adult and two kids is £71 in the south or north but looks practically sold out.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
£150 is prohibitive. Everton at home for adult and two kids is £71 in the south or north but looks practically sold out.

Yes - it is practically sold out now, which suggests the ticket price model is broadly aligned with market forces, regardless of how I might feel about it.

The tickets I was looking at were over near the family area in the East, plus I needed to add Bronze and Junior Seagull memberships (admittedly as a 'one-off').

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yes - it is practically sold out now, which suggests the ticket price model is broadly aligned with market forces, regardless of how I might feel about it.

The tickets I was looking at were over near the family area in the East, plus I needed to add Bronze and Junior Seagull memberships (admittedly as a 'one-off').

The membership isn't worth it for a single game, just racks up the overall cost. If they get the bug though...you'll be skint pretty soon!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

For last Saturday’s game against Leicester at the Amex, Brighton & Hove Albion’s chief executive, Paul Barber, wrote a veritable essay about it in his programme notes, in which his sighs at the misrepresentation of the £5m payment are almost audible.
“This is an entirely normal contractual agreement for very senior and highly sought after executives,” huffs Barber of the Scudamore golden handshake, in comments reproduced in the Brighton Argus, “and it has been designed by the Premier League’s board to protect the league’s commercial interests and those of it’s shareholders – including our club!”

Ouch.

Well, I'm glad it has been designed by the Premier League’s board to protect the league’s commercial interests and those of it’s shareholders. Because it hasn't been designed to protect the interests of future supporters. My two children - both under 10 - wanted to come to their first Albion game next month. When I went to buy the tickets for ONE game for the 3 of us, the total came to just under £150. No way am I paying that, so we're off to another game somewhere else. Admittedly, not Premier League, but we'll have a great day and I won't go home feeling like I've just been mugged by a bunch of multi-millionaires - all in the league’s commercial interests and those of it’s shareholders, naturally.

We are merely fans, sorry customers!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The membership isn't worth it for a single game, just racks up the overall cost. If they get the bug though...you'll be skint pretty soon!

That's my concern!

I would willingly buy the memberships based on the premise of attending multiple games over the course of a season but as you say, attending multiple games as a non-STH really isn't financially viable or indeed VFM.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Ouch.

Barber is more or less right with that description though (although I suspect it's more of a non-compete retainer)....whether we like it or not. Love the dig at the exclamation mark though ! Spot on ! Very irritating !!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
That's my concern!

I would willingly buy the memberships based on the premise of attending multiple games over the course of a season but as you say, attending multiple games as a non-STH really isn't financially viable or indeed VFM.

I have some sympathy but what you are saying is that you have decided to take your kids to a particular match and it is expensive.

Have you thought about taking them to watch the U23s. It’s cheap, has an early kick off, you can park for free and if it’s played at the Amex you can move seats, let the kids sit a few rows away from you, and in some cases sit near some of the watching first teamers?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here