Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norman Baker

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Don't really understand (or care) about the railway argument. Just wanted to say that as my constituency MP Norman Baker has been brilliant. Have needed his help twice, and he has been really good. I used to live in Nicholas Soames constituency who was completely useless and no help at all.

I can appreciate why - if he has helped you personally - you would say that and fair play to him on that. But for most of us who have only come into contact with him through his anti Falmer stance over the years, our views are likely to remain somewhat different!

If at the general election the choice in Lewes was just between him and the BNP I MIGHT (assuming I lived there!) just vote for him as opposed to spoiling my ballot paper. But not otherwise.

Fatty Soames is, as you say, useless and appears mostly to exist purely as an apologist for the increasingly erratic pronouncements from our royal Dauphin.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Looking at lord Bracknells map, who is far more informed than I will ever be, the new line still has issues when it gets to outer and inner London.

Quite simply I cannot see that the Capital can cope with any more trains.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
What are the two that are bigger, moscow I would think is one , which is the other ?

Istanbul, although a good chunk of that is probably on the Asian side.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Istanbul, I guess, depending on how much is classed as being in Europe.

Sorry should have read your reply first! Incredibly Istanbul’s population is over 13 million!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Ignoring the facts that it was closed because no one used it and it lost a pile of money!

Incorrect. It was closed so that a road could be built in Lewes. And of course the original line came in from the east, so trains could go through to Brighton without having to reverse.

Last edited:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Seems very large for a country with a population a little over 70 million when it's not even the capital city.

It used to be the capital of the Ottoman Empire. I think I'm right that Angora (Ankara) was Ataturk's base and so it became the capital of Turkey in 1923. Paris's metropolitan area has more people than London, but the city limits don't go beyond the Peripherique. This means that the poor suburbs don't get any of the benefit of the economic activity of Paris, a major controversy for many years. London was expanded to take in its suburbs in 1965. Before then, our dear friends were in Surrey.

As for Norman Baker, Lewes was supposed to become part of a Lewes and Brighton East constituency, meaning Baker would face very tough competition from Labour and the Tories. It seems the Lib Dems have kicked that idea out.

On to the main topic, of course BML 2 is not viable. Hart's scheme involved taking over part of Tramlink, which was built on part of the old Selsdon to Woodside line (if you travel from East Grinstead or Uckfield, you can still see the abandoned Selsdon Station). However, to reopen the Uckfield to Lewes line would be a good idea. Lord B's objection was that going via Hamsey, trains couldn't go directly to Brighton. They could go to Seaford instead. People from the northern parts of the line have to go to Redhill, so I don't think having to change at Lewes would be that great a barrier. That closure, along with the ones in the East Grinstead area, was extremely short-sighted, although to be generous perhaps it was unfortunate timing. Crawley was being developed and Gatwick becoming the main employer in north Sussex at the same time as the EG to Three Bridges line was shut, leaving inadequate roads as the only way to travel.

Also, returning to the Lewes to Uckfield argument, I know Lord B and some on here are very enthusiastic about buses. I find the 28/29 from Lewes to Falmer fine, but if I was travelling from Tunbridge Wells or Crowborough to Brighton I would drive to Lewes, park in North Street and take the bus or train from there. The bus is just too uncomfortable for a journey of that length. You might get drivers in urban areas to use buses instead, but for those from outside a rail-based solution is needed, as shown by Nottingham and Manchester.

Last edited:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
The Lewes-Uckfield link that was closed in the 60s, and would create BML2, an alternative London to Brighton route - which would also of course serve Falmer.

total lies Norman has always supported Uckfield-Lewes, what he doesn't su[pport is a vasly more expensive scheme which would eff3ectively bypass Lewes, and cause a major potential threat to the South downs National Park.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My point exactly.

Look MacKenzie, it's fair enough to dislike the man and what he has said and done, but comments such as yours are just a little much, the man has a family!
Many Brighton fans (including my grandfather) lost their lives in the delays his actions made to the stadium. I'm allowed to feel the way I do, however unpalatable it may seem to you.

Do I wish Baker dead? No. Will I mourn his passing? No way.

I stand corrected. Am I to judge from your response that you're not necessarily in favour of it, m'lud, or are you merely stating the financial facts?
Even if an economic case can be made for re-opening the Lewes - Uckfield line (and Connex tried to make a case - as part of their last franchise bid - for running all Eastbourne - Victoria trains via Uckfield, to free up capacity on the Brighton Main Line), I'd still give priority to other investment opportunities in South London (for example, dealing with the pinch point north of Croydon). BML2 is a crazy idea, however you look at it, though.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Even if an economic case can be made for re-opening the Lewes - Uckfield line (and Connex tried to make a case - as part of their last franchise bid - for running all Eastbourne - Victoria trains via Uckfield, to free up capacity on the Brighton Main Line), I'd still give priority to other investment opportunities in South London (for example, dealing with the pinch point north of Croydon). BML2 is a crazy idea, however you look at it, though.

Reopening the old Lewes-Uckfield line where possible and reconnecting it via Hamsey has some economic logic and would be relatively cheap. BML2 involves tunnelling and therefore wouldn't be.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

The problem for him is that his scheme can only possibly make economic sense if it's linked to measures to create more train paths through South London. That's why he's come up with the idea of a tunnel under Canary Wharf to Stratford (which would cost billions). But even if this tunnel, or any alternative (more plausible) scheme, went ahead in London, it alone might allow enough additional London to Brighton trains to run on the existing route to satisfy decades of future passenger growth, without the need for BML2, especially if and when ERTMS is implemented.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Isn't the whole point behind BML2 that the London to Brighton line is hitting full capacity and this is about the future? In that currently it's not commercially viable, but soon it will have to be, else growth in the south will be throttled?

I'm all for it, sounds a great solution.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here