Norman Baker.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Imagine my dismay when I opened my Royal Holloway Alumni magazine (not the most exciting read I might add) to find Bakers grinning boat race appearing in some famous alumni article. It went straight in the bin after that.

I'll give him something though, hes got a face you couldn't tire of punching!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Credit to him for his focus on public transport, however you would think he might appreciate the additional rail and bus footfall generated by The Amex....

However in my experience he is a complete arse having personally scuppered the upgrading of the A27 from Lewes to Polegate and A26 to Newhaven - apart from insisting on that expensive (and dangerous) fudge between Southerham & Beddingham. He has contempt for road users. In so doing has blood on his hands from the unnecessary casualties that continue to occur, many of them his own constituents. The original cost of upgrading would have been offset by the savings to the NHS and emergency services let alone disruption to local businesses and communities. The investment in improved road infrastructure might have made the Newhaven/Eastbourne area more attractive to business investors thereby generating jobs and wealth plus potentially helping to secure the future of the cross channel ferry. Newhaven (in his constituency) is not exactly renowned for being prosperous or a hotbed of investment. Above all there is misery of lost lives or life changing injuries that have occurred on these roads 'during his watch'. The irony of him being a transport minister.....

Main strategy was do nothing, change nothing. The man preferred to keep the A27 between Lewes and Brighton as it is so as not to spoil the (industrial landscape of) farmers fields even if people died on the road.
Eh? It's a fast dual carriageway between Lewes and Brighton. People still get killed on it.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
In response to Lord B's observation I acknowledge that (sadly) casualties still occur on the dualled bits of the A27 from Falmer eastwards therefore can't really blame Baker for the excess speed / dangerous driving / drink driving that probably cause this etc etc. I suggest that but for the dualling of the road there would probably be even more casualties. Dualling should be one element of an integrated approach to reducing casualties through engineering new / improved roads, but also educating the drivers too.

Baker's inertia / opposition since the early '90s is well documented and his influence as MP is directly responsible for failing to upgrade the A27 from Lewes to Polegate, sections of which are more like a country lane than a trunk road. Drivers can arrive on that stretch having driven hundreds of miles at motorway speeds from all over the UK to find themselves sat behind a queue of slow traffic or tractor or cyclists then attempt an overtake through frustration etc. Local drivers with local knowledge have no real excuse but still cause similar RTCs. Often it is the poor innocent driver/passengers in an oncoming vehicle that cop it. Inspite of gradual reductions in the speed limts the casualty rate from Firle/Middle Farm/Selmeston is horrendous. Historical casualty figures give a false impression as these often 'only' reflect those fatalities / casualties 'at the scene', rather than those that may occur days/weeks/months later in hospital. There has been some excellent partnership work by the relevant agencies to improve driver awareness but unnecessary casualties still occur.

Sorry to rant on this but I have very strong feelings on the subject and especially about Baker's negative influence, especially now he is a transport minister.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports