Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norman Baker - Transport Minister

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Norman Baker - Minister of Transport ??

Have heard a rumour from two independent (and usually reliable) sources that our Norm is going to be appointed to a junior ministerial post in the Department for Transport - official title for these is usually "Parliamentary Under Secretary".

[Apologies if this is fixtures - can't see any other obvious threads on this]

Nothing he can do to bugger up any works at Falmer station linked to the new stadium is there?

Last edited:

An interesting rumour. When I was public transport manager at East Sussex County Council, Norman Baker was Chair of the Public Transport Sub-Committee in what was a LibDem / Labour administration. My verdict (and bear in mind this was more than 10 years ago) - he was a politician who certainly knew what he wanted, but he was also a politician who sought advice and listened to it. He also knew that there were limits to what he could achieve and he worked within those limits. Provided he had a steady supply of good news to announce, he was also rather better than most councillors at making a coherent case for handing out bad news, when it was needed.

It will be interesting to see how much he has changed over the thirteen years that he has been exercising his skills as a politician in opposition.

Now confirmed on the Department for Transport website.

The ministerial team

Norman Baker MP

The Prime Minister has announced the appointment of Norman Baker, MP for Lewes, as Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Transport.

Mr Baker was born in Aberdeen and raised in Hornchurch, attending the Royal Liberty School in Gidea Park, before going on to earn a BA degree in German from the University of London.

Prior to entering the House of Commons in 1997 he had a variety of jobs, including periods as an executive for Our Price Records and as an English teacher. He also served as a local councillor in East Sussex before becoming Leader of Lewes District Council in 1991.

In recent years Mr Baker has held a number of portfolios in the Liberal Democrat Shadow Cabinet, including Shadow Minister for the Cabinet Office, Shadow Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, and Shadow Secretary of State for Transport.

Mr Baker is married with one daughter.

Norman Baker MP

He owns a juke box.

... and he's a fan of Shed Seven.

2317565283_de8047c244.jpg

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
The biggest problem I have with Baker (obviously Falmer aside) is his views and handling of the single carriageway A27 Polegate to Lewes Road.

And now he's high up in the Transport office.... marvellous :facepalm:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I've met his wife, she seems very nice.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
It'll be interesting to see how Norman's anti-roads agenda plays out with the rest of the Cleggon Government.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
The biggest problem I have with Baker (obviously Falmer aside) is his views and handling of the single carriageway A27 Polegate to Lewes Road.

Strangely I was about to post something similar until I saw this. Still with the impending cuts it probably wouldn't have happened in this Parliament anyway :mad:

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003

Agreed. His mishandling of the A27 situation in East Sussex has been woeful.

The Tories have said they will be more in favour of the motorist this time around (as you would expect), so there could be conflict ahead.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I imagine he will get the rail portfolio, with Villiers getting roads. However, that will be up to Philip Hammond as Transport Secretary - divvying up ministerial responsibilities in a department is up to the Secretary of State rather than the Prime Minister. I am glad Hammond has got the job - he has run real businesses and will be aware of the importance of good transport, notwithstanding the inevitable cuts. I am glad it is not Villiers in the top job, as she came across as not very clued up, to say the least. Even as a paid up member of the nasty party, I am sorry to see Lord Adonis go, as he was the first Transport Secretary in a generation to actually have a real interest in the subject (the last was Ernest Marples, but he was heavily biased in favour of roads, and initiated the Beeching cuts). Well, I suppose you could include Prescott.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here