Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Noisy neighbour, sound proofing advice

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The morbidly obese girl in the flat below, snores so loudly that the misses and I haven't had a good night's sleep for months now 😫
We've bought a sofa bed for the living room which we take turns sleeping on. Our landlord agreed to go halves on new carpet/underlay that is being fitted Friday. We went for the thickest stuff they sell but I'm worried the sound will still come through these gaps between the floorboards and wall (no shit it vibrates through the bed!). Before they come I want to do as much as I can to help with the noise, is it worth stuffing the floor with lagging, filling the holes with foam? Any suggestions would be appreciated 🙂

Attachments

• 20230131_162440.jpg
    20230131_162440.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
The morbidly obese girl in the flat below, snores so loudly that the misses and I haven't had a good night's sleep for months now 😫
We've bought a sofa bed for the living room which we take turns sleeping on. Our landlord agreed to go halves on new carpet/underlay that is being fitted Friday. We went for the thickest stuff they sell but I'm worried the sound will still come through these gaps between the floorboards and wall (no shit it vibrates through the bed!). Before they come I want to do as much as I can to help with the noise, is it worth stuffing the floor with lagging, filling the holes with foam? Any suggestions would be appreciated 🙂

Yes definitely fill the void if you can. Will stop the sound echoing and vibrating in the gap which increases the noise.

Another thing is a rubber acoustic matt under the carpet. My friends had a similar issue with 2 young kids crying etc.. in the flat below and they said the rubber acoustic underlay made a difference.

HTH

Edit: sealed around the edges with an acoustic silicone

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Find the biggest speakers you can find, place them on the floor with Chas n Dave playing at full volume.
That's enought for anyone to endure.

Or just call Green Peace....

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I've used small rolls of expanding foam ("expanda foam"🤔) to fill gaps under skirting and between boards, more to reduce dust and draft ingress than noise.
Hopefully someone on NSC can advise on any decent sound proofing boards to lay before the carpet.
Good luck, disturbed sleep is one of the worst things 👍👍

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Yes definitely fill the void if you can. Will stop the sound echoing and vibrating in the gap which increases the noise.

Another thing is a rubber acoustic matt under the carpet. My friends had a similar issue with 2 young kids crying etc.. in the flat below and they said the rubber acoustic underlay made a difference.

HTH

Edit: sealed around the edges with an acoustic silicone
acoustic underlay is pretty expensive to be honest, and although it may deaden the noise slightly, it can vary from house to house, flat to flat etc, due to the height of the ceilings, windows etc, so it is not bullet proof so to speak. I doubt a landlord would spend that much.

If it was me, I would plyboard the subfloor using 9mm ply, fill the gaps with expending foam around the edges. and buy a good "rubber" underlay not PU - Rubber deadens the noise as good as any acoustic underlay.

failing that, have you tried leaving a polite note for her.

something like

"Oi numbnuts, try going on a feckin diet, it might help with the snoring jellyguts"

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I had work done by this firm 5 years ago https://www.brightonsoundproofing.co.uk/ as the noise from the flat above (stripped floorboards) was a nightmare.

It cost about £6500 in total for their floor hanger system, but was split 50:50 with the owner of the flat above (who rented it out). It was money very well spent as it worked a treat.
I appreciate that's a bigger job than the last-minute, chuck extra stuff between the floorboards that you're looking at though.

I remember there are acoustic matting products out there that might be worth considering - an extra layer under the underlay which you might be able to get hold of by Friday? Generally speaking, anything you can add that's soft will help deaden the sound and if you can get some in time, acoustic foam or rockwool products that you can stuff in the gaps.

I hope the situation improves after Friday - you have my sympathy as it's a fecking nightmare. It could be worse though - what if someone knocks her up and there's a BABY added to the mix 😳

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
FFS Ear Plugs. Mrs Shingle snores like crazy, years of 'suffering', but a few years ago I bought some ear plugs and now cant hear anything.:thumbsup:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
FFS Ear Plugs. Mrs Shingle snores like crazy, years of 'suffering', but a few years ago I bought some ear plugs and now cant hear anything.:thumbsup:
Ear plugs don't work, it vibrates through the floor/bed. You can hear / feel it over the TV

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Before they come I want to do as much as I can to help with the noise, is it worth stuffing the floor with lagging, filling the holes with foam? Any suggestions would be appreciated 🙂
For property you don't own, I don't think it'll be worth filling the void with insulation. Sealing all of the holes is probably your best bet. I've done some serious sound-proofing on a job, and AC50 acoustic sealant is good value for that job (I have some if you're local). But you have to seal all holes, otherwise it's like sealing most holes in a leaking bucket.

Is your room quite bare (so noise, once in your room, bounces around) or do you have a fair amount of furniture absorbing sounds?

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
I know you said ear plugs don't help too much but try Quies Earplug Natural Wax, 8-Pairs if you've not already done so.
My wifes snoring is shocking, I could hear it from a different floor. Began to really p+ss me off as I couldn't get a good night's sleep. These are a marriage saver! Ignore the single use.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here