Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] No trains for Brentford

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
No trains will run for Albion’s Premier League match against Brentford due to strike action.

Govia Thameslink Railway has confirmed that no trains will call at Falmer station next Wednesday, December 6, due to the strike called by train driver’s union Aslef.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I was only reading about this train drivers dilemma over the weekend…wondering how he coped

An extract

Despite stubbornly high interest rates on new mortgages, Mr Brown, 38, is desperate to become a buy-to-let landlord.

He currently works as a train driver, earning £90,000 a year including overtime. It was his third career change since he left university, having previously tried his hand at being a teacher and personal trainer respectively.

“I was a bit lost at 30, earning minimum wage in the gym and living at my parents’ place,” he said.

Since starting as a train driver, Mr Brown has been a diligent saver: he has £25,000 in cash, £50,000 in Isas, and £200,000 in pension savings, having made use of voluntary contributions to make up for his time as a PT. The only debt he has left is his student loan – a mere £5,000.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Okay, let’s just put the scaremongering scenario to one side and accept that there will be no trains to/from Falmer. How the f*** do you get 31,000 fans to the Amex and back from whence they came? Answers on a postcard.
Add a bit of bad weather and it’ll be a similar attendance to the no trains Boxing Day game…….

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I suppose there is sod all chance of changing the fixture this late is there?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I was only reading about this train drivers dilemma over the weekend…wondering how he coped

An extract

Despite stubbornly high interest rates on new mortgages, Mr Brown, 38, is desperate to become a buy-to-let landlord.

He currently works as a train driver, earning £90,000 a year including overtime. It was his third career change since he left university, having previously tried his hand at being a teacher and personal trainer respectively.

“I was a bit lost at 30, earning minimum wage in the gym and living at my parents’ place,” he said.

Since starting as a train driver, Mr Brown has been a diligent saver: he has £25,000 in cash, £50,000 in Isas, and £200,000 in pension savings, having made use of voluntary contributions to make up for his time as a PT. The only debt he has left is his student loan – a mere £5,000.
Yes he must be finding it terribly difficult to cope on a mere paltry ninety grand, and a pittance in savings.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Nope, the Albion will cope, just like they always do.
I wasn’t thinking of the Club - I was thinking of all the fans reliant on train services to get to watch them that now can’t attend ( like myself)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why target football supporters? Dumb PR, it won’t help give the £68,300 basic pay sought.
simple case the union only interest is in their members, not passengers, and they firmly subscribe to all publicity is good publicity.

the maddening thing is it's futile, they'll get an offer 1% more and some minor conditions agreed and end the strike in the new year. just about all the over strikes have ended.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Will presumably struggle through to 60 then retire on a final salary pension scheme

Well here's the article stating what he wants to do

Daily Telegraph / Money / Property section

Certainly looks like he has made some good career decisions, has concentrated on career over family, lived in some fairly shitty rented accommodation and worked hard since he left Uni.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here