Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Southern Trains Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It depends on what depot they are at, but a starter driver at Brighton who would drive Brighton to Ore , Brighton to Haywards Heath & Brighton to Littlehampton would take roughly 2 years from leaving the job centre to be able to do that fully passed out. Problem is that there are not enough Driver Instructors to ensure that can do their route learning and accompanied hours in the cab so may take a lot longer. It's the next step learning to London, Portsmouth/Southampton etc that is hard as they cannot learn the routes as nobody to cover their booked duties whilst they do so.
This has been going on for years, not a new thing. Simply not enough drivers to do what they have to do.

Out of interest what's uptake like? If there's vacancies how many would typically apply and then pass?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They've had 4 years to get the ball rolling and 2 years since the first emergency timetables due to staff shortages in Dec 2014. They didn't act then and won't act now.

This is the problem in a nutshell. It will take years to sort out, no matter who is in charge.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Out of interest what's uptake like? If there's vacancies how many would typically apply and then pass?

Not sure on how many apply for each job advertised, but I do know only 2% of those that apply get a drivers job.

I may of got my figures wrong here (will have to check) from what I remember it costs them £60k to train each driver, the reason why they stop recruiting just before their franchise is over if they believe they won't win the next one.

Problem is thameslink did the same thing now they have a mess they can not handle. But as long as they are getting their bonus from dft from reaching targets they don't care.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
You're being STUPID, stop it[emoji23]

I think his point is that there isn't an infinite amount of space on the tracks or driver instructors or other drivers to fill routes that would normally be covered by those doing advanced route training.

One driver may take 2 years to be fully qualified but to qualify a whole army of them isn't a case of all being done in 2 years. The critical path of 10 years, whilst dramatically extreme may not be far off

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I think his point is that there isn't an infinite amount of space on the tracks or driver instructors or other drivers to fill routes that would normally be covered by those doing advanced route training.

One driver may take 2 years to be fully qualified but to qualify a whole army of them isn't a case of all being done in 2 years. The critical path of 10 years, whilst dramatically extreme may not be far off

It would be impossible to do, it's simply not feasible to train a completely new workforce. For a train driver at a depot like Brighton to be fully qualified driving over every route plus each form of train would indeed be about 10 years after he started if not longer

Jan 30, 2008
it would be impossible to do, it's simply not feasible to train a completely new workforce. For a train driver at a depot like brighton to be fully qualified driving over every route plus each form of train would indeed be about 10 years after he started if not longer
there's a voice of experience ???
regards
DR

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Southern Failway have officially given up providing a rail service in Sussex tomorrow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38290260

'"We are sorry but the industrial action by Aslef leaves us no viable alternative, but be assured we will do all we can overnight," she said.'

If there is one thing in the world that I will NEVER be assured of, it is something coming from Southern.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The thing is, I'm very much on the fence with regards the striking unions. I find it deeply worrying that the unions are getting slaughtered to an unfair degree when this train company were an absolute DISGRACE long before the strikes took affect. For example, my morning service was cancelled 14 times in 12 weeks this time last year. Nothing to do with the unions at all. Why isn't the company being held to account?

as i understand it, they were. they were told off and fined (probably not enough of either though) for failing to meet their targets and where supposed to be implementing measures to solve some problems. once the union action kicked in they just cried "force majeure" and get a pass. the unions are getting slaughtered for making the situation even worse, and distracted from the poor service provided. meanwhile the government seem to be accepting this, looking to bribe us with increase delay repay and compensation, neither which will address the problems.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
It would be impossible to do, it's simply not feasible to train a completely new workforce. For a train driver at a depot like Brighton to be fully qualified driving over every route plus each form of train would indeed be about 10 years after he started if not longer

seems technology should be used to solve that, using simulators to get the drivers learning the routes.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Very funny

you'll have to explain the humor. airlines and shipping (and plenty other industries) use simulators for training, why not rail? you'd still want real track experience, but you could cover dozens of hours of route familiaristion in a simulator.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
F***ng joke that's been told too many times and isn't funny anymore...

F*** them off and sell the franchise to somebody competent and with decent HR.

'sake.

albionite

May 20, 2009
you'll have to explain the humor. airlines and shipping (and plenty other industries) use simulators for training, why not rail? you'd still want real track experience, but you could cover dozens of hours of route familiaristion in a simulator.

They do wow.

There's me thinking they have months of classroom lessons then going onto a simulator, then co-pilot before being in charge of a passenger jet, but if you say they all do it by sim then I'll go with what you say.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Talk about something you know not about something you don't as it makes you look stupid.

These threads are getting to a point where you should not be allowed to post on them.

Yes you worked on the railways, so you have some insider knowledge. However the fact that all you ever do on the train threads is call people stupid, who do not agree with you, means you are contributing nothing.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
...if you say they all do it by sim then I'll go with what you say.

i didn't. they use technology to supplement real world training. see this is maybe why the rail industry you seem to represent are stuck in the past, because you aren't open to new methods.

to be clearer, im not suggesting they replace all training with simulators, but using it for the route learning to cut the 10 years Ernest reckons it takes to learn the routes.

Last edited:

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I was due to travel home on Friday for Christmas. I booked the tickets well in advance of the strike days, but is it true other TOCs will endorse my fare on the day either side of the union action?

albionite

May 20, 2009
i didn't. they use technology to supplement real world training. see this is maybe why the rail industry you seem to represent are stuck in the past, because you aren't open to new methods.

to be clearer, im not suggesting they replace all training with simulators, but using it for the route learning to cut the 10 years Ernest reckons it takes to learn the routes.
Why don't you go back and read the rest of the thread

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here