Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] No Referee Thread ?

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
This thread would already be at 30 pages if it were the other way around. Corruption, UEFA hates us.. :lolol:
seriously, stop it. enough is enough. i get that you support referees generally, and i’m aware that the post i am quoting is somewhat tongue in cheek, but this narrative that you constantly push regarding our fanbase (or any fanbase) only critiquing referees when we lose is utter bollocks. there is a thread on here, or at least several comments, about the ref near enough every week.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Referee was awful, gave 99% of every decision to Marseille, or are we all forgetting that? They’re players falling over and then he stops the play a few seconds later.
I think it’s a combination of poor refereeing and Marseille and AEK being far more streetwise than ourselves, we play far too honestly and clean, we’re the new kids in the competition and the naivety seems quite apparent at times.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
On the contrary, I was most disappointed by the lack of the after match thread. Even my attempts at a little troll seem to have failed here. I was hoping my dear sparring partner, the splendid @Icy Gull, would be along. I even took a look at his profile worried about his absence.

I'm going to bed feeling unfulfilled. The ref thread has become part of my Albion ritual. I hope we can get back to normal at the weekend.
Apologies, and sorry to disappoint but I don’t think I moaned about the ref once last night, even when we were losing and he decided against the penalty and gave a foul against JPVH :shrug:

I thought he had a pretty good game.

I did plenty of moaning about the shite passing by the Albion and lack of fight in the first 30

I will endeavour to return to normal bitching on Sunday, when I expect VAR and the ref to be wearing red shirts under their clothes :lolol:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
It was worrying listening to the commentators say what had happened because the initial thought was something had gone wrong up our end.
They were clearly in a studio and nowhere near the ground. He had to wait for the graphic before announcing who had gone off. And had no idea why Dunk was down.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I was surprised he only added 7 minutes after the Marseille players were going down injured every few minutes during the second half.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Looked like the ref went against the var guidance when he saw JVH challenge from behind on the defender when he jumped up with him . To be fair I think it was very good refereeing as looking at it again it did look like the defender was unbalanced by that challenge.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Apologies, and sorry to disappoint but I don’t think I moaned about the ref once last night, even when we were losing and he decided against the penalty and gave a foul against JPVH :shrug:

I thought he had a pretty good game.

I did plenty of moaning about the shite passing by the Albion and lack of fight in the first 30

I will endeavour to return to normal bitching on Sunday, when I expect VAR and the ref to be wearing red shirts under their clothes :lolol:
Agree with that. We'd have been mightily pee'd off had a pen had been given against us for that 'handball'. Although it looked like the ref had pointed to the spot, the ref then indicated a push. Overall I thought the ref did ok. He actually allowed play to continue a few times when Marseille players were rolling around on the floor. And yes, first half hour I was shouting at the TV about our poor passing where we seemed to keep forgetting we were playing in green and black.

Much much better from a bit towards the end of the first half, thankfully! Pedro has nerves of steel!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bought L'Equipe for the train journey and read no fewer than three articles that mentioned Lamptey's foul or 'vilaine faute' as one piece has it. We probably did get away with one there but it's being milked a bit.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They were clearly in a studio and nowhere near the ground. He had to wait for the graphic before announcing who had gone off. And had no idea why Dunk was down.
Amazingly, despite him doing such a poor job, that you are completely forgiven for thinking otherwise - he WAS commentating from in the stand.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I was surprised he only added 7 minutes after the Marseille players were going down injured every few minutes during the second half.
Me too. I was at the ground so difficult to tell but there were two very lengthy stoppages, lots of injuries and subs and time wasting. I was expecting 10 at least but, to be honest, I think I was just relieved for it to be all over. Thought he was ok, bit of a homer but maybe that's with blue and white specs. Coming after a match where independently two goals for Villa should have been disallowed and Konza sent off and the loon who was saved by VAR against Athens I'd say thats progress.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Lamptey - On BT, both commentators immediately said what a good tackle it was. Clearly wins the ball, the contact after wasn't of a height where he could be said to be being reckless

Van Hecke penalty. Well JP didn't foul him. That said, I cannot stand pens being given for that

Marseille rolling around. Mostly the time got added

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
I think it’s a combination of poor refereeing and Marseille and AEK being far more streetwise than ourselves, we play far too honestly and clean, we’re the new kids in the competition and the naivety seems quite apparent at times.
I hope we don’t stop playing honestly - it would be a shame if we started cheating.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
With the utter contempt that referees and wider football authorities have for colourblind fans I wouldn't be surprised to see the referees wearing red shirts anyway, or even blue and white striped ones.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I thought he was fine. Correct decision to not give us a penalty via VAR, correct decision to give us Lamptey’s (albeit stone wall) penalty.

Thought he’d add more time than he did, lots of theatrics from OM after we got the first goal back.

7/10, no worse than what we get in the PL.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This thread would already be at 30 pages if it were the other way around. Corruption, UEFA hates us.. :lolol:
I have to agree with @macbeth - this is nonsense.

Ref got all the big decision correct. The VAR 'penalty' was a foul by JPvH, the penalty given was stonewall and Lamptey's tackle was hard but clean. No intent and their player only got hurt because Lamptey led with his more comfortable right, which he's entitled to do.

There are very often threads on here criticising odd decisions from referees because most EPL ones are not that great. The only ones that ever complain about us actually being robbed of a result or run to anywhere near 30 pages are ones where we've subsequently had an apology from PGMOL.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
In terms of the big decisions the ref was good, I didn't think we should have had a penalty with that 'handball' either. The pen which was given was a penalty and the Lamptey challenge was fair, the guy got a scratch, so what? He was running around fine after that.

What did irritate me was a lot of smaller decisions in the second half when the rolling around began as OM started to feel threatened. Some of the dives were ridiculous and whilst it is definitely part of the game I just flipping hate it.

As refs go we have and will see a lot worse, probably on Sunday :)

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
I hope we don’t stop playing honestly - it would be a shame if we started cheating.
True but if it's the difference between staying in the competition or getting knocked out of it by the other teams cheating then we should too

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
True but if it's the difference between staying in the competition or getting knocked out of it by the other teams cheating then we should too
Have you never seen _insert 90’s movie refernece_? Cheaters never prosper!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Amazingly, despite him doing such a poor job, that you are completely forgiven for thinking otherwise - he WAS commentating from in the stand.

Wow - I would have put large sums of money on him not being there. He must have had a bad neck and only been able to look at his monitor then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here