Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] No Referee Thread ?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Bought L'Equipe for the train journey and read no fewer than three articles that mentioned Lamptey's foul or 'vilaine faute' as one piece has it. We probably did get away with one there but it's being milked a bit.

Milked by their player. He took a slightly heavy touch, knew he was going to lose out to Lamptey, made sure there was contact - and went down rolling in agony. I noticed that no Marseille players appealed at the time (only after play was stopped quite a bit later). Brilliant tackle. Especially after the criticism in the first half that our players were bottling tackles. Summed up the difference in attitude between the first and second halves for me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Milked by their player. He took a slightly heavy touch, knew he was going to lose out to Lamptey, made sure there was contact - and went down rolling in agony. I noticed that no Marseille players appealed at the time (only after play was stopped quite a bit later). Brilliant tackle. Especially after the criticism in the first half that our players were bottling tackles. Summed up the difference in attitude between the first and second halves for me.

Should be retitled 'Harit follows through on to Lamptey's boot'. As I said earlier in the thread it's a clean tackle but with his right. It's his preference but actually puts himself in more danger than Harit if you look at how his left leg folds. The minimal contact afterwards is a result of both their momentum. Excellent decision by the referee although it was a bit of a strong tackle, so had that happened here against Man U or Liverpool with Attwell refereeing I suppose it would have been red.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Totally agree. That was the turning point of the second half for me, we scored pretty much straight after IIRC. We finally started winning the ball after being so lightweight in the first half.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Should be retitled 'Harit follows through on to Lamptey's boot'. As I said earlier in the thread it's a clean tackle but with his right. It's his preference but actually puts himself in more danger than Harit if you look at how his left leg folds. The minimal contact afterwards is a result of both their momentum. Excellent decision by the referee although it was a bit of a strong tackle, so had that happened here against Man U or Liverpool with Attwell refereeing I suppose it would have been red.
I have to disagree with your earlier post buddy. If the Lamptey tackle had been reversed there would have been hell breaking loose (as there is in Marseille). Do you really think the consensus of the ref being okay would have held if we had lost too ?

In the Fouls and Misconduct in the Laws of the Game, there isn't any mention of 'playing the ball'. This is really down to the referee to decide under the careless/reckless/dangerous scenario.

If a foul had been given, VAR would not have overturned. I thought the tackle looked okay, but the replay suggest Lamptey more brushed the ball away than made full contact. It's one that can go either way in people's minds. And guess what ? Albion fans say 'fine', Marseille fans cry 'foul'

I'm personally not sure what to make of it and just filed it under 'Possibly okay, but may have got away with it'. I thought the match result was fair and was quite disappointed with the Dunk free kick as I felt we had an opportunity. I thought Marseille were quite poor in the end so I'm glad we took something.

Away from that, are you going to Athens or Amsterdam ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have to disagree with your earlier post buddy. If the Lamptey tackle had been reversed there would have been hell breaking loose (as there is in Marseille). Do you really think the consensus of the ref being okay would have held if we had lost too ?

In the Fouls and Misconduct in the Laws of the Game, there isn't any mention of 'playing the ball'. This is really down to the referee to decide under the careless/reckless/dangerous scenario.

If a foul had been given, VAR would not have overturned. I thought the tackle looked okay, but the replay suggest Lamptey more brushed the ball away than made full contact. It's one that can go either way in people's minds. And guess what ? Albion fans say 'fine', Marseille fans cry 'foul'

I'm personally not sure what to make of it and just filed it under 'Possibly okay, but may have got away with it'. I thought the match result was fair and was quite disappointed with the Dunk free kick as I felt we had an opportunity. I thought Marseille were quite poor in the end so I'm glad we took something.

Away from that, are you going to Athens or Amsterdam ?
Have to disagree as an ex-defender. It's a clean tackle, ball won way before the Marseille player gets there with what happened afterwards being what F1 would call a 'racing incident'. Lamptey isn't out of control (hence my point about leading with his right, the tackle is deliberate and at the ball), he's not off the ground with both feet, he's not coming through the player or from behind and he's looking at the ball, not the player. I wouldn't have an issue at all the other way round. If this sort of thing was a red we'd have three or four every week for it in every division. I would have been sent off about once every two games. That and heading was all I was good at :lol:

Anyway, yep, will be in the 'Dam. Not doing Athens now, that was the back up plan but I had enough points for Ajax. The Boy is with me. Will be a week off 17 by then and apparently not that interested in the "Anne Frank's House" side of the city. He's outgrown your t-shirt now :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here