Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Pleasing Some People

Buck

Through & Through
Feb 18, 2009
Not Lewes Any More
Listening to some on here you wonder if they really support the club and appreciate what Gus is currently achieving with this team and where the club is going.

Apaprently, Brezovan is useless, as is Battipiedi, we should of played a full strength side and treated the competition with more respect.

FFS, are you people for real?

No, we didn't perform to our best today, particularly in the first half. However, many teams from our level would have wilted completely in the second half and we could have left with our confidence and belief shot to pieces. Instead, we had a real go in the second half, got back to playing our way and finished with our heads held high.

We played probably the most physical team in any of the 4 divisions and struggled to cope in the first half. Most top Premiership sides struggle to cope with them and they played a full strength side, despite it being 'our cup final'. We rested a few players and could have played a slightly stronger line up. We didn't. So what? The same people bemoaning this would be the same clowns complaining if we'd played full team and picked up a couple of injuries or a suspension.

Gus is focusing on what he thinks is most important. Progressing to the Championship and playing football 'his way'.

Would anyone seriously swap what we have for Tony Pulis and the way Stoke 'play'? They can't progress any further playing that way. Do their youth teams and academy learn the same style?

Is it any wonder English football is still so far behind other countries when one of the few English managers in the Premiership advocates that style of football?

Let's be grateful for what we've got and enjoy it, savour it, and most importantly, let the manager, players and coaches know how much we appreciate it.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Agree with all of the above. Plus the expectation of so many on here that we were going to win this game, comfortably according to some. Player for player they have a much better team than us and we were always underdogs, hopeful of getting a result but in reality, losing respectfully but not folding to them was a good outcome. Now full focus on the league and building for the Championship next season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agree with most of the OP - but would I swap being where we are for being mid-table premiership (that realistically being as good as it will ever get anyway - no way will we ever become one of the 'Big Four') - then, errmmm........yes, I think I would!

Buck

Through & Through
Feb 18, 2009
Not Lewes Any More
Agree with most of the OP - but would I swap being where we are for being mid-table premiership (that realistically being as good as it will ever get anyway - no way will we ever become one of the 'Big Four') - then, errmmm........yes, I think I would!

Swap position, yes. Swap to that style, definitely not. Maybe you view it differently when it's your team, but watching that every week would make me consider self harming!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe you view it differently when it's your team.........................................

Maybe you don't remember Mile Bailey's team in the 1980's. He was sacked for playing boring football; for half the season we were nudging a place in Europe. Yes, I wish we'd stuck with him a bit longer instead of handing over to Jimmy Melia, cup fianl notwithstanding.........................................

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Christ on a bike Arsenal played like that for so many years before they became the Harlem Globe Trotters. We were shit today but even when we play well we won't be able to pass our way through most other clubs. When Stoke passed it about to take the piss they looked better but they couldn't score. Some people on here are going to be very disappointed when we start playing teams that are better than us.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Brezovan had a very poor game by not doing what everybody expected him to do that was to come and collect the ball from the long throw. Battipeide did nothing and offered nothing. Having said that I am sure that Gus told them at half time that to treat it as two games and that they had lost the first badly and to go out and do better for the 2nd game, which they certainly did.

What this game did show is that and with a couple of injuries our bench is well below strength and today other than a good show from Jake we had nobody to come on and give us hope. However, onwards and upwards we will now go on andi wn the division

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Maybe you don't remember Mile Bailey's team in the 1980's. He was sacked for playing boring football; for half the season we were nudging a place in Europe. Yes, I wish we'd stuck with him a bit longer instead of handing over to Jimmy Melia, cup fianl notwithstanding.........................................

As I remember it ... and memory isn't at it strongest late on a Saturday night ... we weren't playing lump it into the box, percentage football under Bailey. We set up defensively, were hard to beat and draws had us further up the table in the days of 2 points for a win, than it would have done when 3 points for a win came in, maybe as soon as the following season.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think that Brezovan had a very poor game by not doing what everybody expected him to do that was to come and collect the ball from the long throw. Battipeide did nothing and offered nothing. Having said that I am sure that Gus told them at half time that to treat it as two games and that they had lost the first badly and to go out and do better for the 2nd game, which they certainly did.

What this game did show is that and with a couple of injuries our bench is well below strength and today other than a good show from Jake we had nobody to come on and give us hope. However, onwards and upwards we will now go on andi wn the division

When you say a couple of injuries, I think that is a bit harsh. We had 8 first team players who would usually be in the 18 out yesterday. Ankergren (who was on the bench), El Abd, Noone, Kishishev, Smith, Navarro, Sparrow and Wood did not feature for one reason or another. How many League 1 sides will have quality on the bench with that number of players out? Even given that, we still had Dunk, Taricco and Sandaza on the bench, who have all shown they can do a job when called upon, and Forster-Caskey who did really well when brought on. Hardly a disaster, is it?

minnieme

Sep 10, 2006
Brighton
Listening to some on here you wonder if they really support the club and appreciate what Gus is currently achieving with this team and where the club is going.

Apaprently, Brezovan is useless, as is Battipiedi, we should of played a full strength side and treated the competition with more respect.

FFS, are you people for real?

No, we didn't perform to our best today, particularly in the first half. However, many teams from our level would have wilted completely in the second half and we could have left with our confidence and belief shot to pieces. Instead, we had a real go in the second half, got back to playing our way and finished with our heads held high.

We played probably the most physical team in any of the 4 divisions and struggled to cope in the first half. Most top Premiership sides struggle to cope with them and they played a full strength side, despite it being 'our cup final'. We rested a few players and could have played a slightly stronger line up. We didn't. So what? The same people bemoaning this would be the same clowns complaining if we'd played full team and picked up a couple of injuries or a suspension.

Gus is focusing on what he thinks is most important. Progressing to the Championship and playing football 'his way'.

Would anyone seriously swap what we have for Tony Pulis and the way Stoke 'play'? They can't progress any further playing that way. Do their youth teams and academy learn the same style?

Is it any wonder English football is still so far behind other countries when one of the few English managers in the Premiership advocates that style of football?

Let's be grateful for what we've got and enjoy it, savour it, and most importantly, let the manager, players and coaches know how much we appreciate it.
:thumbsup:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Stoke are a medium sized club who play as they do to retain their Premier league status.They do it well,and see off many Premiership teams with their style of play.And good luck to them.When they went up they were certs to come back down,but they didn't.Every season they are among the favourites to come down,but as yet they haven't.For seasons they have been looking forward to games against this country's top clubs.We haven't.(Sorry Leeds,Southampton,Sheff W etc).

I don't suggest that the Albion go into the market to buy towering footballers and turn to Stoke's style,because I prefer ours.But isn't this an example of a good big 'un beating a good little 'un ?

Played Stoke;good luck in the draw.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here