Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] No one gets past Bong*

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So, as usual, you quote out of context
I quoted your entire post about Hughton choosing Bong to start the match. Your quote suggests you don't rate Bong. The stats suggest he's probably quite good.

but nothing you quoted me as saying is different to general sentiments. Suttner is a better crosser of the ball, anyone can see that. If we've got a guy who can provide dangerous crosses without losing defensive solidity, why wouldn't we pick the guy who can both defend AND attack? Especially if we've got Murray/Ulloa on the pitch. They will gobble up the crosses from Suttner, Hemed doesn't have that level of ability but he always seemed to start when Suttner did. It wound me up!
Hemed is excellent with his head. And the suggestion is that Suttner can't both defend AND attack better than Bong.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Forgot about not losing possession. Successful touches (or rather absence of unsuccessful ones) and Suttner and Bruno and Duffy all lead the way and I would expect from the stats unsuccessful touches to occur every other match instead of about once a game with Schelotto and Bong..

Not getting caught possession and Suttner has the best stats by miles only once every five games, with only Dunk, Bruno and Pröpper anything like comparable.

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I had 'the best left back' discussion with my son and his mate after Bongs horror show against Barnet at the start of the season. I maintained that Bong would prove to be the better of the three over the course of the year, my son reckoned Rosenier, and his mate thought Suttner.
Im still happy with my choice.

He was bloody awful against Barnet tho.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I'd imagine Hughton is currently picking Schletto & Bong to bolster our aerial prowess defending set pieces.

And in fairness both are playing extremely well on top of the extra height they add. As it stands I'd keep them both in the team but great to know we have commendable back up, including Rosenior.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I quoted your entire post about Hughton choosing Bong to start the match. Your quote suggests you don't rate Bong. The stats suggest he's probably quite good.

Hemed is excellent with his head. And the suggestion is that Suttner can't both defend AND attack better than Bong.

Hemed lacks the instincts of Murray and Ulloa, which is why he would score fewer goals in any team and why he didn't score a handful against whoever it was Suttner was murdering with the pinpoint crosses in the first half of the game at the Amex.

My post was that I rate Suttner above Bong, which was the point I was making, and that I rate Murray over Hemed. It didn't say I dislike Bong, and it didn't say I dislike Hemed. Why? Because I don't dislike either of them. Stats can be interpreted as required. Luckily for Bong, there are no stats on being in a terrible position leading to goals conceded but if you pay attention to the games you'll note that he's often in a bad position or could have done more. You're just being deliberately difficult because it's the persona you've cultured.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My post was that I rate Suttner above Bong, which was the point I was making
Fair enough.

You're just being deliberately difficult because it's the persona you've cultured.
:shrug: I wasn't being difficult, I just quoted a couple of posts that appeared to be slagging off Bong. It's sounds like you're trying to say that you weren't really slagging him off, you just prefer Suttner. That's fair enough, not sure why you didn't just say that in the first place.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bong is faster and stronger, Suttner is a better footballer. I preferred Suttner but I have to say Bong was my joint MOTM with Gross on Saturday. I can see why it's hard for Chris to make his mind up and there's no doubt we play horses for courses, though I'm not sure this helps with the extra organisation you get with a settled back 4.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Bong is faster and stronger, Suttner is a better footballer. I preferred Suttner but I have to say Bong was my joint MOTM with Gross on Saturday. I can see why it's hard for Chris to make his mind up and there's no doubt we play horses for courses, though I'm not sure this helps with the extra organisation you get with a settled back 4.

Bong is also the better defender which is the most important.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here