Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] No more scores on 5live sports report

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I have never lived walking distance from a ground. Get in the car wait for the results :shrug: Don't use the phone in the car, my only gripe is they read them too quickly every result means something in the division you are in. Also I want to hear lower leagues as well, all part of the history.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have never lived walking distance from a ground. Get in the car wait for the results :shrug: Don't use the phone in the car, my only gripe is they read them too quickly every result means something in the division you are in. Also I want to hear lower leagues as well, all part of the history.

You don't tune into what Warren and Johnny have to say as soon as you get to the car?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's a shame in many ways - it's such a well established and much loved tradition. Having said that, have to confess to not listening very often - I'm usually listening to Radio Sussex on line, with SSN on silent - but I usually switch to the sound on SSN for the classifieds. SSNs not a lot of help for people driving home, I suppose - but I think they reaad them out on Talksport too?

The music is iconic though - I would hate it not to be there any more! Mind you, I hated it when the Radio 4 early morning theme was ditched - and I've got over that! Life's just a tiny bit poorer though!

This is a key point. I mean, I don't know if it's true, because I never listen to the classified results –*in fact, the one time I have done in recent memory (on the way to Manchester while Brighton were labouring to a 0-0 draw to whoever it was in early April), I kinda zoned out by midway through the Championship games.

If it IS such a big deal, then TS will be on it like a shot and bring it back to satisfy the tens of people who are frothing at the gash at it being ditched. It they don't, I think it says it all...

The funny thing is, some of those reacting with outrage would be the first to call other people 'snowflakes' or those that are 'triggered' by seemingly irrelevant things :lolol:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
This is a key point. I mean, I don't know if it's true, because I never listen to the classified results –*in fact, the one time I have done in recent memory (on the way to Manchester while Brighton were labouring to a 0-0 draw to whoever it was in early April), I kinda zoned out by midway through the Championship games.

If it IS such a big deal, then TS will be on it like a shot and bring it back to satisfy the tens of people who are frothing at the gash at it being ditched. It they don't, I think it says it all...

The funny thing is, some of those reacting with outrage would be the first to call other people 'snowflakes' or those that are 'triggered' by seemingly irrelevant things :lolol:

Talksport do do it. Adrian Durham treats it like a speed reading competition.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I said I thought Talksport do do it, not that they might start doing it if the BBC drop it!

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
What says Saturday afternoon more than the famous music “Out of the Blue” and the Classified Football Results? I know football only started in 1992 but this has been going much longer than that. It is an institution and for about seven minutes, we got to hear about football across the country. BBC Five Live have got this very wrong, there is plenty of time to fit it in before the 5:30 kick off, after all it will only be about the top six otherwise.

On Sunday, before the match, we had to wait 67 minutes into the programme before Brighton got a proper mention. There was more about the Prawn Sandwich Brigade being kicked out to let the player lunch at the ground..

The maths for the so called top six, must be that no more than ten percent of fans would support any one of those teams, so at any given time, 90% of the listeners don’t care about the team they are jabbering on about. Indeed, on Sunday 85% of the people would have wanted to hear more about Brighton and their plans for beating Utd (15% = Manure Fans plus possible Nigel’s from South Norwood)

So get the editorial right AND bring back Sports Report

Last edited:

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
East Fife 4 Forfar 5

Always loved that - brilliant. Never been done apparently (except on penalties), but doesn't count. Also JAG would always give a full team name, so would have said as Forfar Athletic.

Another one I love is a Scottish newspaper headline reporting the Inverness Caledonian Thistle beating Celtic in a massive shock for the Scottish league "Super Cally go ballistic, Celtic are atrocious"

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Terrible decision..... A complete abandonment of an important football culture. I guess it used to have more relevance in the days when everyone was checking their pools coupons. I can remember my dad doing so , and I had to keep quiet!
Nevertheless, it is still of great interest to the real fans as opposed to little boys and plastics..
For some reason I always looked out for the results of Hamilton Academicals and Forest Green Rovers. I just liked the names I guess. Now those small clubs won’t get a mention.
Who’s running the BBC these days?

Mad Nad.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have a feeling this is the equivalent of when science publications went online, and the wilted* discussion at the executive of a committee I was on that the time.

"But, on a Sunday morning, there is nothing better than to tuck into my kedgeree whilst browsing my paper copy of the British Journal of xxxxxxxxx" said old man with red face, bow tie and a look of arrogance and mild confusion.

*heated. It may have been heated.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Terrible decision..... A complete abandonment of an important football culture. I guess it used to have more relevance in the days when everyone was checking their pools coupons. I can remember my dad doing so , and I had to keep quiet!
Nevertheless, it is still of great interest to the real fans as opposed to little boys and plastics..
For some reason I always looked out for the results of Hamilton Academicals and Forest Green Rovers. I just liked the names I guess. Now those small clubs won’t get a mention.
Who’s running the BBC these days?

I can remember when if you missed the football results on Saturday teatime - the latecomer’s version at the end of Sports Report just before 6pm - you had to wait until the paper came on Sunday Morning.

Kids today, they wouldn’t believe you…… but it’s true. No mobile phones, home computers, internet in the 1960s.

My favourite football result ever was East Fife 4, Forfar 5!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
East Fife 4 Forfar 5

Always loved that - brilliant. Never been done apparently (except on penalties), but doesn't count. Also JAG would always give a full team name, so would have said as Forfar Athletic.

Another one I love is a Scottish newspaper headline reporting the Inverness Caledonian Thistle beating Celtic in a massive shock for the Scottish league "Super Cally go ballistic, Celtic are atrocious"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44916496

It happened in a penalty shootout, as you say!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What says Saturday afternoon more than the famous music “Out of the Blue” and the Classified Football Results? I know football only started in 1992 but this has been going much longer than that. It is an institution and for about seven minutes, we got to hear about football across the country. BBC Five Live have got this very wrong, there is plenty of time to fit it in before the 5:30 kick off, after all it will only be about the top six otherwise.

On Sunday, before the match, we had to wait 67 minutes into the programme before Brighton got a proper mention. There was more about the Prawn Sandwich Brigade being kicked out to let the player lunch at the ground..

The maths for the so called top six, must be that no more than ten percent of fans would support any one of those teams, so at any given time, 90% of the listeners don’t care about the team they are jabbering on about. Indeed, on Sunday 85% of the people would have wanted to hear more about Brighton and their plans for beating Utd (15% = Manure Fans plus possible Nigel’s from South Norwood)

So get the editorial right AND bring back Sports Report

Out of the Blue and Sports Report isn’t being axed, just the reading of the results. Sports Report is about the only place that will talk about the football league.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I can remember when if you missed the football results on Saturday teatime - the latecomer’s version at the end of Sports Report just before 6pm - you had to wait until the paper came on Sunday Morning.

Kids today, they wouldn’t believe you…… but it’s true. No mobile phones, home computers, internet in the 1960s.

Until Ceefax and Brighton 2 Cr*y$tal Pal&€e #

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Sunday Morning!!!

Didn't you get the late edition of the Argus?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I have a feeling this is the equivalent of when science publications went online, and the wilted* discussion at the executive of a committee I was on that the time.

"But, on a Sunday morning, there is nothing better than to tuck into my kedgeree whilst browsing my paper copy of the British Journal of xxxxxxxxx" said old man with red face, bow tie and a look of arrogance and mild confusion.

*heated. It may have been heated.

I don't think this is a case of people not embracing technology. No one is saying don't put the scores online. Most are just saying that's it's odd to get rid of something many people like(which is probably the only thing they really associate with the Sports Report) for the sake of an extra fee minutes of managers either complaining about referees or being boring.

And I find it odd that a lot are against "tradition for tradition sake"'and then spend the rest of the year complaining about a lack of 3pm Saturday kick offs

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't think this is a case of people not embracing technology. No one is saying don't put the scores online. Most are just saying that's it's odd to get rid of something many people like(which is probably the only thing they really associate with the Sports Report) for the sake of an extra fee minutes of managers either complaining about referees or being boring.

And I find it odd that a lot are against "tradition for tradition sake"'and then spend the rest of the year complaining about a lack of 3pm Saturday kick offs

Perhaps I misunderstood. I'm certainly not against tradition, but nor am I concerned what time we kick off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here