Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] No criticism of RDZ ?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I think it's the fact that everyone saw this coming. Loads on NSC were negative before the game yesterday. So obvious we are conceeding too many chances against at the moment. We got lucky Vs Luton and wolves.

Need a tactical adjustment next weekend. Play same way again we will lose heavily.
- pretty sure Newcastle won’t be parking the bus on an early 1-0 lead and forcing us to start our attacks in the final third - they don’t need to with one of the best defences in the League.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Guardiola’s also obsessive about a DM who never ventures forward. There 90 minutes to protect and plug gaps.
Pep goes for the 3-2 defensive organisation when City have the ball -- three of the back four and 2x DMs; or a DM and the back four, one of whom has moved inside to support the DM (as Stones did last season). We just don't seem to have that solidity when we dominate possession, even when we did have Moises playing, but more so when not.

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dyche worked out RDZ’s Achilles Heel last season and Moyes (followed by others) will do the same.

It’s easy.

1. Low block
2. Defensive row of 5 in front of penalty area.
3. Compact midfield row of 4 protecting them.
4. No real width.
5. Fast, powerful and strong forward camps at left wing.
6. All players instructed to get the ball to the forward if possession is gained.
7. At least 2 runners from midfield will support forward once he gains the ball.
8. Take your chances
9. Keeper plays a worldie
10. Pray Albion miss their chances.

RDZ needs a rethink against this tactic. I don’t know what he is going to do it but the opposition’s low block/quick break tactic is obvious and effective.

A suggestion for yesterday. Instead of playing Webster, play Igor man-2-man on Antonio. Antonio would not be bulldozing a man with these thighs:View attachment 165567
If 8 and 10 don't happen then the rest of that plan is irrelevant. Those two points were the difference yesterday ably abetted by individual errors in our defense and superb goalkeeping at the other end.

There will be far more occasions this season where the opposite is true.

That is, and always has been, the De Zerbi way.

Amen.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Interesting thread...

“Everton and Forest perfectly exposed their weaknesses last season and so did West Ham now.

Seems like a matter of time until more teams learn about this way to stop Brighton.

Sure, offensively Brighton is brilliant. But it’s sometimes giving Leeds 2020/21 vibes.”

That comparison is ****ing out of order.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
RDZ is probably going to be our best ever manager, I love the man , his passion and it is the best football we have ever played.

But… I do feel that yesterday the team was set up wrong and there did not appear to be a change in tactics to counteract the threat down the right. Milner was playing higher up the pitch, which I assume was to help break down West Ham. This did leave Webster ( who was woeful) exposed. All three goals appeared to come from the same area and RDZ did not try and counteract this. Yes it would be great to have new players but a managers job is to adapt to the situation he has got, he was definitely out managed by Moyes. We need a solution to teams that sit deep and and hit us on the break with pace.
Spot on.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
None for me, we lost a game, hoping we learn from it. if it happens every game then I might get the huff.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Dropped six places in one weekend! Have we ever had a worse one? (recently - I'm not referring back to the Archer-Hereford-Gillingham years!)

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
The big criticism I have of De Zerbi, and it is one I feel may limit him as a manager unless he corrects it, is that we concede way too many goals. I think it is correct that our defensive stats have gone through the floor since he took over. This is masked by the good attacking play and scoring, but if that dries up for a while (injuries, player sales etc) we could be trouble.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The big criticism I have of De Zerbi, and it is one I feel may limit him as a manager unless he corrects it, is that we concede way too many goals. I think it is correct that our defensive stats have gone through the floor since he took over. This is masked by the good attacking play and scoring, but if that dries up for a while (injuries, player sales etc) we could be trouble.
Our GD was about 20 better last season than the previous one and we were about mid-table on goals conceded.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
“Everton and Forest perfectly exposed their weaknesses last season and so did West Ham now.

Seems like a matter of time until more teams learn about this way to stop Brighton.

Sure, offensively Brighton is brilliant. But it’s sometimes giving Leeds 2020/21 vibes.”

That comparison is ****ing out of order.
rest of it is spot on though. we cannot deal with big physical strikers. but this isn’t a new thing. toney, mitrovic and kane have given us issues for years. it’s a personnel issue i feel, and a weakness of dunk and webster’s. that’s not me calling them bad, i just think we need to partner one with a fast, physical centre back. maybe igor is that player, still think we could do with a duel-heavy, fast and strong right back, however.

CaergybiGull

Aug 13, 2020
Caergybi, Ynys Môn
Criticism? Absolutely not. As others have said, risk / reward etc.

It is fantastic how he has these players doing things they would never have dreamt of before. Clearly, they are learning from him.

Are there things he can learn? Yes.

I think he needs to develop some pragmatism. He needs to let players know that, maybe one time in 1,000 rowZ is necessary. Webster should have taken that option IMO, If teams think we are always going to opt for the fanny about option, then we become predictable.

Credit where it is due, Moyes did his homework and also purchased our Kryptonite (JWP).

I think he needs to allow players to adapt on the pitch more. There will be the odd occasion when being more direct can pay off, yesterday was an example.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
There is clearly a way to beat us convincedly and I thought before the game yesterday that Moyes would do a job on us.

However the reality is, not all teams are capable of doing that so it's swings and roundabouts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here