No Brian O'Driscoll for the Lions vs Australia 3rd Test!...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
but among my rugby friends this, despite the close scores, is not one of the truly great or exciting tours so far and had we played this way against the Boks or all blacks, would have lost 3-0.
In fairness, I suspect that Gatland would have made the necessary changes in some of the proper warm up games they'd have played in the run ups to the tests. Unfortunately here, and it is the worst thing about this tour, the number of shìt, one sided warm up games has been shocking. They've only been tested twice. The other games have been a total waste of time.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And that was another poor decision altough I guess that's with hindsight. Halfpenny was 55m from goal, he was always highly unlikely to kick it from there (Beale's miss had been from 41m). I realise they couldn't boot it into touch and take the lineout but perhaps they should have run it and set up a presentable drop goal from say 30m?

I think HIGHLY unlikely is unfair. He had already kicked sucessful MONSTERS previously, and was in cracking form again, on the day. I'd say he could kick that 1 in 3 times. The chances of the Lions making 25m ground in open play without any stoppages, AND setting up a drop-goal chance, AND successfully converting it, would certainly be lower.

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
I don't care who's in the team as long as we win otherwise I won't here the last of it, can't wait, I'm going with the family.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Just to play devils advocate. Cuthbert scored a great try in the first test and has not been seen since. You could put up an argument there for another welshman. I won't because he is not the finished article yet defensively and Tommy Bowe, is there on merit.

Whilst both games were close, the Lions had enough possession early on to have won the first test comfortably. The second test was more notable for shambolic scrummaging and poor line outs. Neither Vunipola or Youngs can really complain about being dropped and as Adam Jones has a long rest after this game, maybe he can stay on for more than an hour ? Faletau, will hopefully bring some ball carrying to compensate for the lose of Warburton and Vunipola in the loose.

Scum half I think has boiled down to who can win you the game. Phillips was not great in the first test, but is a match winner on his day. Certainly if he produces on Saturday, it will take the pressure of the centres.

Trying to make sense of it, kind of works, if you do this in reverse. Tuilagi is for me the wild card. A good option for the bench, but a little too erratic to start. The golden combination of Roberts and O'Driscoll, works up to the point where you have to have two replacements on the bench, in case both can't finish the game. It is still though a massive call.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A core ? Of 10 players ?

Feels less like the British Lions, and more like the Welsh Lions.

Not for me.
I'll still support the Lions but it does leave a bitter taste. You can imagine the moaning from the Celtic rugby fans if the Lions had played in 2005 with a core of 10 Englishmen, and that would have been a whole lot more justifiable considering we were world champions at the time and the ABs thrashed us in all 3 tests.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
POC is a bigger miss for this game than BOD. BOD is passed his best and although he tackled well last week I don't remember any line breaks. Brave shout by Gatland though, Hope it pays off even with 10 Welshmen starting, Any Lions team dominated by one nation is a shame in my book.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'll still support the Lions but it does leave a bitter taste. You can imagine the moaning from the Celtic rugby fans if the Lions had played in 2005 with a core of 10 Englishmen, and that would have been a whole lot more justifiable considering we were world champions at the time and the ABs thrashed us in all 3 tests.
There was enough celtic moaning in 2005 when The English coach (Woodward) and the predominately English coaching team took a squad that was nearly half English to New Zealand. At least Gatland can point at Wales and say "They're the 6N champions", whereas the English team of that time was on its massive decline from the World Cup. And we lost all three Tests.

EDIT: Bugger, meant to quote DKM's post as your post is on similar lines to mine.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

I doubt I will bother with it. I just do not think the Welsh as a team are that much better than the other home nations, or that their players are that much better to justify the decision.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
There was enough celtic moaning in 2005 when The English coach (Woodward) and the predominately English coaching team took a squad that was nearly half English to New Zealand. At least Gatland can point at Wales and say "They're the 6N champions", whereas the English team of that time was on its massive decline from the World Cup. And we lost all three Tests.

Woodward lost the plot didn't he. And Gatland may get the same verdict. As another poster suggested - perhaps all is not harmony in the camp.

If the do Lions win - it still won't feel much like a British Lions win.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I doubt I will bother with it. I just do not think the Welsh as a team are that much better than the other home nations, or that their players are that much better to justify the decision.

Which players would you replace the Welsh starting players with?
I'd argue Tipuric and Cuthbert should be in the team based on form and performances in the 6 Nations over S O'b who's not been great the last year and Bowe who's been injured.

I can't see any outstanding talent or better player who are missing out in that team to a Welshman apart from maybe Croft

I just do not think the Welsh as a team are that much better than the other home nations, or that their players are that much better to justify the decision.

Sorry, did you watch the Six Nations?

I really don't understand this moaning about the composition of the squad. One or two contentious picks aside (both for the squad and for the Test matches) he's picked the best 2/3 players in each position from the teams available to him. Yes, a good number of them are Welsh - but can you tell me who's not there on merit? There was a bit of a fuss about Robshaw not going - who would you have left out to take him?

Ah bugger I see keaton has beaten me to it.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

Unfortunately the Welsh thrashing of England at Cardiff came at the wrong time and meant Gatland was then the wrong choice of coach for the tour.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Woodward lost the plot didn't he. And Gatland may get the same verdict. As another poster suggested - perhaps all is not harmony in the camp.

If the do Lions win - it still won't feel much like a British Lions win.
I don't feel confident but they might have a good chance this time round - the referee is French. I am fed up with the southern hemisphere interpretation of the breakdown and it has always gone the way of the Aussies on this tour because the refs have both been southern hemisphere refs so far.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I'd argue Tipuric and Cuthbert should be in the team based on form and performances in the 6 Nations over S O'b who's not been great the last year and Bowe who's been injured.

I can't see any outstanding talent or better player who are missing out in that team to a Welshman apart from maybe Croft

I am no rugby bod. I could not tell you the starting England XV. But the Lions represent the home Nations, and if they don't - well what is the point ?

Is there a massive difference between Croft and the Welsh bloke who took his place ? No ? Then play the Englishman. What about that big Scottish bloke with the blonde hair ? Is the Welsh bloke in his position so much better ?

The coach should be able to get the most from all his players - not just the ones he knows. Had the Welsh a good recent record against Australia you could perhaps justify it - but they haven't.

Anyway - that is me exposed as a rugby fraud.

Aussie - Aussie - Aussie!

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley

Tuilagi should be in that starting team, he is the only one capable of breaking the line and gaining yards. Agree with Keith Wood in that the team is very one dimensional and I am personally not happy with it. BOD should be in that side.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Tuilagi should be in that starting team, he is the only one capable of breaking the line and gaining yards. Agree with Keith Wood in that the team is very one dimensional and I am personally not happy with it. BOD should be in that side.

I think Tuilagi is lucky to get in the England team. He is as much of a head's down basher as either of the Welsh players, apart from they do it on the big stages whereas he was average in the 6N and mostly missing for Liecester at the end of season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ultimately it's hard for me to disagree with Ian Robertson here:

"You just wonder if they got a lucky bag and picked some names out. The Lions won the first Test and made eight changes to their squad. The Wallabies won the second and probably won't make any changes. The Lions lose by one point and there are six changes in the team and three guys on the bench who were nowhere near the team for the second Test. I was convinced Brian O'Driscoll should have been named as captain. It's catastrophic leaving him out. He's still one of the top centres in world rugby. He's a fantastic guy and has been on four tours and knows it all inside out. It's a massive mistake."

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Ultimately it's hard for me to disagree with Ian Robertson here:

"You just wonder if they got a lucky bag and picked some names out. The Lions won the first Test and made eight changes to their squad. The Wallabies won the second and probably won't make any changes. The Lions lose by one point and there are six changes in the team and three guys on the bench who were nowhere near the team for the second Test. I was convinced Brian O'Driscoll should have been named as captain. It's catastrophic leaving him out. He's still one of the top centres in world rugby. He's a fantastic guy and has been on four tours and knows it all inside out. It's a massive mistake."

Really surprised by that quote, as I respect Robertson. He either hasn't been watching, or O'Driscoll is a big pal. The views are not borne out by the matches, and "catastrophic" is a ludicrous word to use with regard to the likely result.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports