Blur, 'Parklife'
The Smiths, 'Strangeways, Here We Come'
The Auteurs, 'Now I'm A Cowboy'
Dusty Springfield, 'Dusty In Memphis'
Pulp, 'Different Class'

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
British Albums eh, in no pariticular order hastily assembled with no great thought

Let It Bleed - Stones
Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
The Sun is Often Out - Longpigs
Abbey Road - Beatles
Darklands - Jesus and Mary Chain
Pink Moon - Nick Drake
Screamedelica - Primal Scream
Blue Bell Knoll - Cocteau Twins
House of Holy - Led Zep
Wonderland - The Charlatans

with a bit more deliberation I reckon half of them would make the cut

DOH, forgot Tricky - Maxinquaye
and Curtains - Tindersticks

what a TOOL

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: NMEs Top 10 Albums of all time

El Presidente said:
No it wasn't, the NME writers voted for it.

Er... they read it too!

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Wozza said:
Great.

Okay, what is and isn't allowed in your mind?

You don't think dance music is real music, right? Does that include percussive, repetitive African music?

Maybe you just have a problem with electronic music? But I assume electric-based instruments are allowed, yeah?

So what about synths? What about your favourite dad rock band that uses keyboards? What about fully trained musicians that use computers?

Where's the line here? I'm confused by your musical bigotry. Please explain.

very well, wozza. to be honest, my comment about dance music not being music was really just an off-the-cuff jibe but i'd be happy to start a debate on this.
my problem with dance music is not that its electronic. in fact, i love a lot of electronic music though i must admit that my musical taste does not branch out much beyond rock/indie and electronic with maybe a bit of hip/hop/rap trown in. some electronic music i think is some of the best ever produced (my personal favourites being unkle, dj shadow, lemon jelly, fila brazilia, portishead, thievery corporation, wagon christ, stereolab, radiohead [kid a/amnesiac], new order, bjork and death in vegas to name a few). there is undoubtedly a lot of thought that goes into making this music and a lot of skill required for the level of production that is so high in this genre.
where dance music particularly fails is that it is so easy to reproduce. anyone who knows the basics about the production of dance music can create work almost indistinguishable from the leaders of the field. there are no complicated rules regarding structure that the music can interestingly challenge (like there is in jazz) and no emphasis at all on clever or emotive lyrics (as there is in so much rock). i would never say that the most sucessful djs are not good at what they do but to put them in the same bracket as people like john lennon, jimi hendrix or kurt cobain is madness. sucessfull djs will not be remembered in years to come because there are so many people as able to take over. and, the majority of many djs work is merely taking existing sounds (and in some cases entire tracks) and reworking them. so, on a creative level, they are easily beaten by rock musicians.
dance is also not helped by the fact that at dance nights in clubs and live dance events almost everyone feels the need to to get so mashed off their tits on pills just so they are able to enjoy the music. do you not find it strange that this is never the case in rock clubs or at rock concerts?
it is rare you find someone who loves dance music who has any kind of musical background. it is no coincidence that music magazines which profess to cover all musical genres include, when they compile their list of the top 100 albums or artists, will include a lot of rock, a lot of hip/hop a fair bit of electronic but certainly no dance. of course dance music is literally music but, if music can be held up as an ideal, dance gets furthest from it.

punk:

Last edited:

dave the gaffer said:
No zep albums, No Rolling Stones Albums , Revolver:eek: :eek: , what about Rubber Soul or Sgt Peppers, No Carpenters Albums, , no Craig David albums, no Focus Albums, no Cream Albums, No Santana Albums, No Misty In Roots Albums...

NME

wank

I thought you were being serious until you mentioned Craid DAVID. f***'s sake. :lolol: :lolol:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I always think that albums should have to be out for two years before they can get on these lists.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Tesco in Disguise said:

More so in public votes, it removes the latest 'big thing' getting in purely on the back of being hyped up.

The Artic Monkeys album is good, but not THAT good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here