Nigel Farage MEP v Russell Brand - Question Time BBC1 22:35 *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
FFS - money is not the answer to the problem of increasing population.

I don't understand this point you are emphasising. There is a relationship between prosperity, or at least the the possibility of prosperity and migration. There is also a clear relationship between increasing population and improving living standards, and the converse.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
These "services" you speak of functioned perfectly well (or at least as well as or better than they do now) before we opened the doors to mass immigration. The need for immigrant labour in these jobs is fuelled by the number of immigrants allowed into the country. There are plenty of British people who could be trained to do the jobs that immigrants are doing now. Do you believe that immigrants possess "exceptional skill sets" that are beyond what we could find on this island?

Absolute nonsense.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
What so you are trying to tell me that the BBC leans to the right in its views, Ha Ha classic.

No he's giving you a link, where people who work for the BBC are saying that.

How about this?
The key role of BBC Political Editor is held by Nick Robinson, at university was President of the Oxford University Conservative Association and also spent a year as national chairman of the Young Conservatives.

Former Conservative Party chairman Lord Patten is chairman of the BBC Trust.

Daily Politics and This Week presenter Andrew Neil is chairman of the conservative Spectator magazine.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
What so you are trying to tell me that the BBC leans to the right in its views, Ha Ha classic.

At the very least I think the left-leaning thing is vastly overstated. Once upon a time it was true but now the traditional left doesn't really exist in this country any more, the BBC has become a reflection of that.

I'd be interested to see what the BBC would do if they were presented with a genuine left wing alternative these days. I think it would probably scare them.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008

As the BBC routinely gets criticised from left and right there is a fair chance that it is largely successful in attempting to be Politically (ie party political) balanced. However, there will inevitably be a cultural bias determined by its employees. On a point of information, one BBC employee (can't remember his name) has jumped ship to be the UKIP Director of Communications and another (Paxo) has revealed himself to be a One Nation Tory and courted by them as a potential Mayoral (I think) candidate.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
These "services" you speak of functioned perfectly well (or at least as well as or better than they do now) before we opened the doors to mass immigration. The need for immigrant labour in these jobs is fuelled by the number of immigrants allowed into the country. There are plenty of British people who could be trained to do the jobs that immigrants are doing now. Do you believe that immigrants possess "exceptional skill sets" that are beyond what we could find on this island?

The Health Service would fall apart without the immigrant nurses & doctors working there.

For some reason 'British people' don't want to train to be nurses & doctors in the numbers required.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Do people still think or see the BBC as the great bastion. I think that ship sailed years ago amongst sensible people.

Outside of British politics yes, I'd say the BBC was a great bastion.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
At the very least I think the left-leaning thing is vastly overstated. Once upon a time it was true but now the traditional left doesn't really exist in this country any more, the BBC has become a reflection of that.

I'd be interested to see what the BBC would do if they were presented with a genuine left wing alternative these days. I think it would probably scare them.

I really wish I could buy into the BBC being impartial, they excel at making great documentary's and make some amazing dramas, but as far as politics goes there is no way they report from a balanced impartial position in my view.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I didn't speak of them, I was merely commenting on what was said on the night. One of the panel members made the point for which Farage didn't counter or expand upon. If there are plenty of British people to do these skills and services, then Farage should have said so and perhaps he has a policy on training and education up his sleeve for these skill sets to fulfil any shortfall his controlling of immigration would bring.

Bricklayer anyone?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No doubt this may well fan the flames of the immigration debate, but hey.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-30439592

I'm in agreement on this deportation. Change a rule for one, change a rule for all.

The story is incomplete though. What, if any, benefits were they claiming ? What was her income ? Personally, even as a UKIP supporter, I'd allow them to stay if they were supporting themselves. Even if they weren't, then I would take into account the fact she is British.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
How do you come to that conclusion exactly?

For example the idea that we need healthcare professionals from another country simply to cope with the healthcare users from another country is absurd.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I really wish I could buy into the BBC being impartial, they excel at making great documentary's and make some amazing dramas, but as far as politics goes there is no way they report from a balanced impartial position in my view.

I presume you are basing your opinion from a left leaning perspective as the amount of pandering and fawning Nick Robinson does whenever the tory party are concerned is hardly impartial!

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Some of you may think that I have decidedly right wing views on immigration. For some perspective, I live in South West London, and have just heard from the owner of the house next door to me that he is being investigated for an illegal HMO (House of Multiple Occupation). He let his house out to a "lovely Bulgarian couple", who in the space of a year, has sub-let the property, and now have 12 unrelated adults living in a 4 bedroom house, with only 2 WC's.

Nice.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Do people still think or see the BBC as the great bastion. I think that ship sailed years ago amongst sensible people.

I take it you would prefer something like Fox News to act as the beacon of impartiality, well at least as far as right wing politics are concerned.

I listen to the BBC, particularly radio, and my impression is that they give politicians on both sides en equal hard time. When they interview a conservative they do so from the opposite side of the spectrum and vice versa when interviewing labour politicians. It may well be that from a polarised viewpoint, people only notice when the Beeb are given a hard time to the politicians from their political persuasion and don't notice when they are doing it the other way around.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
The story is incomplete though. What, if any, benefits were they claiming ? What was her income ? Personally, even as a UKIP supporter, I'd allow them to stay if they were supporting themselves. Even if they weren't, then I would take into account the fact she is British.

"Mrs Engel's business made £19,786 in 2014 which was deemed not enough by the tribunal panel, which met on 3 December."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports