Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice People, Burton

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Did you not see the size of our two forwards Jamie Ward 5'5" and Will Miller 1.68m (whatever that is but it is not tall)... when the teams came on we felt that our forward line had been reduced to a Hobbit tribute. The general consensus was that we would be treated to a large number of long balls for them to head down... cynics that we are! So size is relative... and we were very aware that O'Grady would be out against us- perhaps more frustrating became could have played under other circumstances and he has settled in very well here.

I was wondering who the third giant defender was. Granted our two centre backs are tall but can't think who else could be considered giant!

I don't think O'Grady would have made any difference tbh.

NorahBrewer

Sep 15, 2016
I was wondering who the third giant defender was. Granted our two centre backs are tall but can't think who else could be considered giant!

I don't think O'Grady would have made any difference tbh.

By the time we got down to your end there seemed to be more than three giants in the penalty box. With regard to O'Grady, perhaps, but apart from a penalty the teams, for all your probing and possession would have come away with a point each. Our fans thought that O'Grady would have given us a better chance of nicking it, which is how we are going to get most of our points this year.
We regard O'Grady he as an automatic on the team sheet whereas Miller, with respect to him is not.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Yes a thoroughly enjoyable away trip. I found a great Micro pub on the road to the ground that served great beer and I eat a wonderful home made pork pie. Friendly locals, and there are some good photos of us at the crucial moments in the Burton Mail http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/analysi...-pay-penalty/story-29725472-detail/story.html
w

What a well written piece from a local journalist. Andy Naylor take note it is possible to be eloquent by using words you know the meaning of!

Hi,

Norah, the Admin from Clough The Magic Dragon, the Brewers fans' forum here. Just to say thanks for all the positive comments. We would love you to come to the Pirelli in the League next season too :). I don't find it this thread patronising at all- we are more than aware that visiting the pirelli is different from the average Championship ground - even many in League 1 too come to think of it and we do have some cracking real ale pubs which in my view is always part of the match day experience.
We wished that we could have given you a better game, but to say the cupboard was bare was an understatement and from our point of view to lose to a spot kick in the 88th was particularly gutting but the general opinion is that it could have been a cricket score.

Below is the link to our forum enjoy- have a look:-

http://burtonbrewers.proboards.com

Good luck for the rest of the season apart from 11th February of course (!)

However many of you make it down I hope you enjoy your day as much as we did ours

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
By the time we got down to your end there seemed to be more than three giants in the penalty box. With regard to O'Grady, perhaps, but apart from a penalty the teams, for all your probing and possession would have come away with a point each. Our fans thought that O'Grady would have given us a better chance of nicking it, which is how we are going to get most of our points this year.
We regard him as an automatic on the team sheet whereas Miller, with respect to him is not.

I think you are being a bit hard on yourself, you dont need a squad of great players to survive in this league, you need all the bits of the jigsaw to fit from top to bottom and all fight for the club and fans, i think you may have this and with Clough as manager he has been there and got the tee shirt, you have done well so far, a long way to go but i hope you survive, i think you will.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
So a follow up to my 'long weekend in Burton drinking thread' I started last week.
My first visit was in November 2015 when I discovered how friendly the town was and in particular how landlords of one pub urge you to visit their opposition alone the road. Since then I've returned for four 'long weekends'. Saturday night I revisited four of the pubs mentioned here, well I felt I had a job to do. The Wentwell Brewery Micro Pub in the car park of the Travelodge where the landlord is deaf and didn't realise there were 30 fans outside. The Alfred Ale House where the landlord offered to make me a coffee in his kitchen as his coffee machine was broken. The Micropub Last Heretic, where the landlord was fed up with Albion fans coming in asking if it was true he was a Palace fan. He took it in good staid proving he is a good chap. And lastly Coopers where many fans had ended up and I'm sure stayed the evening well after I went for my cheap curry (how about £23 for six dishes, poppadoms & nans). All said how they enjoyed the fans and how well behaved everybody was, I got the impression it was not the same with Derby a few weeks ago. My November trip included a match at the Pirelii (v Peterborough which they lost 0:3) and the fans around me then were all happy to talk. I'm back again in November.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The bar in the away end was fantastic and having visited six different pubs in the town I can say the place in general was excellent for beer. Burton is definitely in the top 5 away days in this division

Top five in the 92 league clubs for match day experience. If Carlsberg did away days......:drink:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Couldn't make it this time, but I really hope the FA Cup 3rd round draw gives us another Saturday away trip to Burton.

UaeGull

Dec 21, 2007
Yes a thoroughly enjoyable away trip. I found a great Micro pub on the road to the ground that served great beer and I eat a wonderful home made pork pie. Friendly locals, and there are some good photos of us at the crucial moments in the Burton Mail http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/analysi...-pay-penalty/story-29725472-detail/story.html

Just to add the Micro pub with the great pie and beer was the Fuggle and Nugget where I was in the honoured company (among others) of our poet in residence.... https://www.facebook.com/The-Fuggle-Nugget-Micropub-711325965647162/

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
One of the best away days I've experienced.

Did the National Brewery Museum tour (much better than I expected - and included free samples), followed by the Burton Bridge Brewery pub, Coopers (fantastically atmospheric boozer), and the three micro pubs - Fuggle and Nugget (where I can confirm the attendance of our poet-in-residence), the Weighbridge Inn and the Last Heretic. All absolutely excellent, except for the fact that the barman in the Last Heretic was a Palace fan who went to the 1976 'Ron Challis' game!

What an amazing place for beer-lovers. Found all the locals (including the Burton fans I spoke to) very friendly. If we don't get promoted, I really hope they stay up so we can make a return visit next season.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
One of the best aways I've been to in a long time. The pubs were welcoming with a great selection of ales, all the Burton fans seemed very knowledgeable and friendly and the terraces are always fun. I sincerely hope they stay up or if not don't do a Yeovil and plummet through the leagues.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The place will probably be wrecked by the stupid rule that states they will now have to replace three sides with seating. :(

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
Really enjoyed yesterday and was made to feel very welcome in all three pubs we visited. It did have that lower league feeling about it- Burton station is tiny for a start and not much going on in the centre. The stadium has been designed in a way that makes it look fairly full when it clearly isn't- 4700 odd there. In summary one of my favourite away trips. Oh- and we used virgin trains, Midland, Cross Country and Southern. No guesses which was the only one to be delayed and then running slow.

Did you have to sit on the floor on the Virgin train?

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
A very strange day, I don't want to sound harsh on them but everything felt very 'non league' !!

No problem parking, no problem getting into the local pubs, the bar and food outlets in the away end and a crowd of 4000 odd with 1600 Brighton fans.

Strangely enjoyable but just didn't feel like a Championship game !!

that's good! Non league football is great!

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
The last time I posted about Burton I was awarded an infraction. :(

Is it OK to say that away days don't get any better than this kind of fixture?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I went to the League Cup game a couple of years ago, and enjoyed it so much, it was one of the first fixtures I looked up in June when they were published. I was gutted to see that the date coincided with an annual reunion that I never miss. I really hope Burton stay in the Championship so that I can go there again. It's a great day out, with good food at the stadium, and a warm welcome.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
I must be going deaf as I didn't understand anything the announcer said.

The annoncer said at half time 'there is a vicious rumour going around that Derby have scored', thought it was great that he wasnt being so serious and having a laugh about it all. He also enjoyed announcing that they hadnt won at the end of the game.

Was a great day out, everyone was friendly, it did feel pre season friendly like but that didnt take anything away from the day. Just gutted the queue at half time was to long that i couldnt be bothered to queue up to get some ******s and mushy peas.

el punal

The annoncer said at half time 'there is a vicious rumour going around that Derby have scored', thought it was great that he wasnt being so serious and having a laugh about it all. He also enjoyed announcing that they hadnt won at the end of the game.

Was a great day out, everyone was friendly, it did feel pre season friendly like but that didnt take anything away from the day. Just gutted the queue at half time was to long that i couldnt be bothered to queue up to get some ******s and mushy peas.

I know it was a spelling error, but the thought of an "annoncer" just hit my funny bone. :laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here