Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice one

pilgrimmike1

Feb 22, 2011
Just a big thank you for your support towards us at Plymouth and I wish you well in the championship next season because with players like Noony and Barnsy (who was NEVER given a chance at Plymouth) I just know you will get there. I don't suppose many fans know better than you guys what we are going through but also like you I am hopefull we will come out the other side stronger and better for it eventually. I also believe it's about time the F.A put a stop on foreign businessmen buying up clubs when football is the last thing they have any interest in like what has happened here. For those of you who have visited Home Park you would have noticed the land which is situated all around the ground which was given to the people of Plymouth by Lady Astor and these shisters saw it as a building plot and had no interest in the football side of it at all. we have been sold down the river by by our former chairman who also earnt well and prided himself as being a fan!! the problem they had was the covinance on the land that states it can only be used for sports and recreational uses only and once that dawned on the greedy bas***ds they pulled the plug on the old finances and waited for us to drown. Still thanks again and good luck to you but here is a thought for you to ponder on, over the last few seasons we normally beat the top sides away from home But they also go on to get promoted like Wigan, Reading and Hull did so when we beat you tomorrow you can consider it a good thing.:bigwave::bigwave::bigwave::bigwave::bigwave::bigwave::bigwave:

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Were they not banking on the World Cup bid being successful as Plymouth was a venue? Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season (after tomorrow).

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
Cheers for that, i sincerely hope that you dont beat us tomorrow though, i dont think i could take two losses on the trot :eek: in all seriousness though, i hope plymouth can pull through, its never nice to see a club in trouble (unless its palace or portsmouth), if you do get relegated now, i reckon youll probably get out of league two next season anyway.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Best of luck and you will be back on top form sooner rather than later.

pilgrimmike1

Feb 22, 2011
Were they not banking on the World Cup bid being successful as Plymouth was a venue? Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season (after tomorrow).
Yep and that carp but that only ment that they gained the backing they needed with grants etc to build a bigger ground and hotel etc, after all they still needed planning permission and if the wc was a sucsess figures like 440 mill being pumped into the local economy was being bannded about and then we all know dispite what it says on title deeds planning permision would never have been an issue. Money always talks.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The talk in Plymouth backs up what pilgrimmike is saying. Covenants on the ground mean that it can't be used for housing but potentially - and given the right backing - this could be challenged. For example, if the club were in peril. The similarity between Plymouth's problems and ours in the 90's are very striking. A decent, regional club with a long history who are now being shafted by people who look on the ground as a potential gold mine and don't give a damn about the club itself. Whilst all the time talking in platitudes. Yes they spent beyond thier means in The Championship - but not by much compared to some. Probably no more than most Championship clubs who hope to stay in that league.

I hope we take 3 points off them today. I don't think that will relegate them - they are already down given their situation. But I hope they survive as a club. Of all the cases like Portsmouth, Leeds, Cardiff etc, this is not the same. This is a club who are suffering because they have been stymied by the owners with promises of non-existent cash injections. Others have not been allowed near the gold-mine - I mean club - by the owners whilst they imply that investment is just around the corner. The South West is a very poor region - unemployment is high and averages wages are low. They are unable to call on a wealthy white collar/industrial catchment if things get worse - and they will. I sincerely hope NSC will get behind Argyle (pronounced 'Ah-guile' btw) and support them. Please don't be tempted to lump them in with those other clubs who defraud creditors by going bust and starting over the next day.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
The absolute very best of luck , always liked Plymouth and hope they pull off a miracle and defy the odds , and find themselves back to where they belong sooner rather then later

of course providing this starts after tonight

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
From The Guardian - seems there is a real possibility of them going bust (not just into administration) which would have huge ramifications for League One:

Ten points deducted as Plymouth bid to stay out of liquidation

• Plymouth directors have up to four weeks to complete sale
• Penalty sees Peter Reid's side sink to bottom of League One

o
o Share7
o Reddit
o Buzz up

* Matt Scott
* guardian.co.uk, Monday 21 February 2011 21.25 GMT
* Article history

peter reid Peter Reid's Plymouth Argyle will go to the bottom of the League One after their 10-point deduction. Photograph: Lee Mills/Action Images

Plymouth Argyle's directors have cast the final throw of the dice in their attempt to keep the cash-starved club out of liquidation but it is likely to have cost Peter Reid's side their place in League One.

Argyle have issued a "notice of intention" to appoint administrators, a technicality that buys the club a little more time in an effort to facilitate a sale. However, a damaging consequence of the move is that the Football League announced it had imposed a 10-point deduction. That has taken immediate effect, plunging Argyle to the bottom of League One.

The notice of intention to appoint Brendan Guilfoyle as administrator does give Argyle 10 working days to complete the sale, since it legally prevents creditors such as HM Revenue & Customs – whose six-figure monthly PAYE demands cannot be serviced – from issuing a winding-up order. There may be the prospect of a request for a court order permitting a further 10 days' grace. That would give Argyle between a fortnight and four weeks to secure a takeover by one of three interested parties.

Yet, if it fails, Guilfoyle would face the troublesome task of raising the working capital required to permit the club to see out the season. One well-placed source said that would amount to between £2m and £3m and there is almost no prospect of that being generated from the club's own resources without the support of a white-knight investor. If Guilfoyle is called in, liquidation would logically ensue, making Argyle the first Football League club to succumb since Maidstone United in 1992 and throwing the League One competition into chaos.

The League's points deduction makes relegation almost inevitable – Plymouth are eight points adrift of safety – and sale discussions harder to conduct.

"It breaks my heart to think that Plymouth could be wound up," said Ian Holloway, Argyle's former manager. "Their supporters don't deserve that — what have they done?"

Two of the three consortiums in negotiations with the board and its football consultant, Peter Ridsdale, are believed to be located in the UK. The third is headed by an overseas-based British businessman.

Argyle's deputy chairman, Paul Stapleton, said in a statement: "This action gives the club protection from insolvency action from creditors whilst at the same time allowing the directors the opportunity to turn current expressions of interest into a permanent and lasting solution for the club. This action does not mean that the club is in administration nor does it assume that it will necessarily enter into administration at a future date."

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
2-3 million is nothing in the world of football, but if you are an unattractive small club it is an immense amount of money. Maybe the FA should give temporary loans to keep small clubs (or medium sized in plymouths case) afloat. There would have to be penalties maybe an extra 10 points but would give clubs breathing space to restructure and find new investment.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
The talk in Plymouth backs up what pilgrimmike is saying. Covenants on the ground mean that it can't be used for housing but potentially - and given the right backing - this could be challenged. For example, if the club were in peril. The similarity between Plymouth's problems and ours in the 90's are very striking. A decent, regional club with a long history who are now being shafted by people who look on the ground as a potential gold mine and don't give a damn about the club itself. Whilst all the time talking in platitudes. Yes they spent beyond thier means in The Championship - but not by much compared to some. Probably no more than most Championship clubs who hope to stay in that league.

I hope we take 3 points off them today. I don't think that will relegate them - they are already down given their situation. But I hope they survive as a club. Of all the cases like Portsmouth, Leeds, Cardiff etc, this is not the same. This is a club who are suffering because they have been stymied by the owners with promises of non-existent cash injections. Others have not been allowed near the gold-mine - I mean club - by the owners whilst they imply that investment is just around the corner. The South West is a very poor region - unemployment is high and averages wages are low. They are unable to call on a wealthy white collar/industrial catchment if things get worse - and they will. I sincerely hope NSC will get behind Argyle (pronounced 'Ah-guile' btw) and support them. Please don't be tempted to lump them in with those other clubs who defraud creditors by going bust and starting over the next day.

This. Population is also very similar to Brighton & Hove at about 250,000 making us the two biggest on the south coast/south west (excluding Brizzle of course) - bigger than Portsmouth, Southampton, Bournemouth etc. It's a disgrace how some of the owners are ruining the club and I really hope they can pull through. League two footie wont be easy to stomach, especially after their exploits in the Championship not so long ago but it's important that the club survives and they can start again. Obviously want them to lose heavily this evening but good luck to the Janners.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It does all sound horribly familiar, I sincerely hope they don't go down the same route as we did.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
All the best Pilgrimmike. The main thing is that you still have a club to support next season. All the very best for the future, but sadly I hope we can take all three points tonight as we really need to kick on and get the job done. Your comments about ownership are absolutely spot on, it is crazy that despite a 'fit and proper persons' test any old money grabbing speculator can play with the lives of fans, players and staff on a whim, it stinks!

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
its such a shame. on the sports news today this only makes about item 8 or 9 ...THIS is the real problem.....its all about the big boys nowadays, not history.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Sad times for Argyle, undoubtedly nothing like the happenings of Portsmouth, Leeds and the rest, and always seemingly a well supported family orientated club. Others have said it, that given their geographical location they'll always have to stump up slightly larger wages to attract players, and even more so in the championship.
I'm sure it'll all be sorted, and best of luck with everything after tonight. Just hope to god that H Block isn't an absolute wankfest tonight, seemingly many clubs are changing their perceptions of our fans due to a few small minded idiots.
Best of luck Argyle.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Argyle (pronounced 'Ah-guile' btw)

Thanks. :glare:

What a desperate situation. Its absolutely scandalous how these owners have run that club into the ground, and can seemingly just walk away with no punitive measures or accountabilty. I gather the owner is based in Japan and has never once attended a game or seen them play - its just a numbers game to them, an investment opportunity which might or might not have come off (depending I suppose on the WC bid).

Get this, from July 2009:

Plymouth Argyle: Under new management

"PLYMOUTH Argyle is under new management after a deal to buy the club was finally announced.

A consortium of international and local businesses is buying a controlling share in the holding company that owns Plymouth Argyle Football Club, saying it will establish a ‘New World’ for PAFC, targeting Premier League football within five years and expanding e-commerce operations based around the club’s brand.

A wide-ranging five-year business plan is under preparation and will be published before Christmas, including proposals for a Youth Academy and increasing recognition of the PAFC brand, locally and globally.

It will also clarify plans to expand capacity to more than 25,000 via a fully-seated stadium.

PLYMOUTH has given the thumbs-up to yesterday’s news, writes Matt Fleming.

Many people in the city spoke positively about Argyle’s future after the takeover was finally announced.

Will Sykes, 28, from Peverell, said: “It can only be a good thing which will bring more money into the club.

“Hopefully the new owners will be able to take the club forward. I think it is realistic that Argyle will be in the Premiership in five to 10 years’ time.”

Ken Corrigill, 52, from Eggbuckland, is a Middlesbrough fan who also follows Argyle. He said: “I will be watching Argyle next season. I think it’s brilliant news.

“If Burnley can get in the Premiership then so can Argyle. And Middlesbrough.”

:nono:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It really is about time football supporters across the country protested at the way the game is run across the country. There are just too many cases of this sort of thing and it is ALWAYS fans that suffer most. With the amount of money in the game, it has to have taken immensely crass incompetence from people running the game and the clubs to be in a situation where a dozen or more fairly big clubs have come close to going under.

It really ought to be a source of national shame.

horshamgreens

Feb 21, 2011
Sad times for Argyle, undoubtedly nothing like the happenings of Portsmouth, Leeds and the rest, and always seemingly a well supported family orientated club. Others have said it, that given their geographical location they'll always have to stump up slightly larger wages to attract players, and even more so in the championship.
I'm sure it'll all be sorted, and best of luck with everything after tonight. Just hope to god that H Block isn't an absolute wankfest tonight, seemingly many clubs are changing their perceptions of our fans due to a few small minded idiots.
Best of luck Argyle.

Ooo - I think we can handle a few taunts from Block H (whoever they might be) after what we've been through recently.

Thanks for the kind words everyone - we now share a similar history, let's hope we share a similar future.

Mike

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Good luck to the Green Army (after tonight). I like to think I have done my bit for solidarity between oppressed clubs (former and latter). Given my 2 free tickets to an Argyle supporting mate and his son for tonight's game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here