Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] NHS dentists

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Newick dental practice in Moulsecoomb is good. One of the dentists from St Faiths is practicing there.

My wife is petrified of dentists, but she is ok going there.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Me to mate I'm lucky have a good set of teeth haven't been for 20 odd years.

Me neither for about 18 though, do need to go I guess
Had a load of teeth filled which didnt need filling (milk teeth and more adult ones which also didnt need filling) then had 2 teeth taken out for no apparent reason, I was like 10 and they gave me so much gas when I came round I could nt feel my face at all and thought that my cheeks were a sweet so chewed them up to the point my teeth went through my face.
horrible blood everywhere and weeks rinsing salt water. Then I went to get a check up having been in a fight (well I wasnt fighting) and my mouth was ulcerated.cut badly and they didnt give a monkeys and put me through so much pain. Then I had a tooth crowned and it fell off 2 days later leaving a gaping hole. I am in no hurry to go back at all

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
NHS are not allowing some dentists to take on NHS clients (hearsay from receptionist).

Even with the NHS subsidies it can can get quite expensive, e.g. my bills currently running at £629 for this year and it could have been £739. Not on the NHS it would be £2000+ and top class treatment would be over £5500.

Some dentists have very full order books and it is not easy to get quick appointments in emergencies.

It is not easy to tell if the dentist is any good either as crowns may fall out cause the job was not done properly and it will be years later.

If you are really stuck PM me as I may have some ideas. First stop maybe to go down the doctors and get a list of local dentists.

Lately, the best dentists may have a private practice. They may do a limited amount of NHS work but it is hard to get an appointment in an emergency. In the past, there were some poor dentists doing private work.

Beware, on retirement you may have to pay a lot for treatment whereas under 65 and you might get it free.

Choice of dentist may depend on the work required. Experts may not be available easily on the NHS locally (even if registered with a practice). If you already have toothache and complicated work needed (like me) it might be tricky to find anyone to do the work unless you pay up. I made a mistake.

Locally, in 2013 it was OK. Now it is not.

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
An NHS dentist in Brighton must be as hard to find as the next Albion win.
It was impossible when I was there a few years ago.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Maybe I have my timescales wrong but I remember NHS dentistry was in a right mess and I am sure that when Blair was PM it was made much more widely available, but I may be wrong, this is not a political thing but it seems to have gone back to its old ways of being very hard to get.

You have indeed got your timescales wrong. It was under the Blair government that they forced a new contract on to dentists. Many then when private only. My then NHS dentist told me if I didn't go private then to go elsewhere and got quite aggressive about it. I couldn't find an NHS dentist prepared to take me on so haven't been to one since. Even on the NHS dentistry is expensive and many people, including me, don't go because of the greed of dentists and the actions of the Labour government. So much for the NHS being free at the point of delivery !!!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Too scared of the dentist :( Had some bad bad experiences in the 80's and 90's :( NHS ones

I was like this and didn't go for over 10 years. I had to go for emergency treatment, chose a private practice in Shoreham and they're been absolutely fantastic. Had lots of work done, extraction, 2 root canals etc. - with no problem whatsoever, now I don't mind going at all. Ii went last week and never gave it a second thought.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I was like this and didn't go for over 10 years. I had to go for emergency treatment, chose a private practice in Shoreham and they're been absolutely fantastic. Had lots of work done, extraction, 2 root canals etc. - with no problem whatsoever, now I don't mind going at all. Ii went last week and never gave it a second thought.

To be fair the last one I went to wasnt too bad (in the North Laine) I forget the name of the street, the one with the guarana bar, the office, and a bike shop if any of them are still there. But my heart was going through the roof. Silly I know but then arent all phobias silly? (I mean who could be worried about a long haul flight cooped up at 35000 feet for 19 hours pussies)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
My dentist is South African.

Virtually every dentist I have ever been registered with has come from a Commonwealth country. For many years as a child my dentist was a New Zealander. Others l have had have come from Australia and South Africa.

Al though many current dentists are foreign, they come from a myriad of different countries now.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
My wife is a dental nurse and her practice has 3 dentists, 1 Iranian, 1 Bulgarian and 1 other foreigner possibly Polish.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
You have indeed got your timescales wrong. It was under the Blair government that they forced a new contract on to dentists. Many then when private only. My then NHS dentist told me if I didn't go private then to go elsewhere and got quite aggressive about it. I couldn't find an NHS dentist prepared to take me on so haven't been to one since. Even on the NHS dentistry is expensive and many people, including me, don't go because of the greed of dentists and the actions of the Labour government. So much for the NHS being free at the point of delivery !!!

Yes I agree with a lot of that dentristy is a swizz even on the NHS.
But I do remember it being almost impossible to get an NHS dentist then it was sorted out and it became far more accessible for a while as money was made available.
When was that then?
Who was in power?
Who was PM?
Buggered if I can remember.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Virtually every dentist I have ever been registered with has come from a Commonwealth country. For many years as a child my dentist was a New Zealander. Others l have had have come from Australia and South Africa.

Al though many current dentists are foreign, they come from a myriad of different countries now.

My Saffer dentist is the best one I've ever had. He doesn't hurt me, and was extremely helpful with diagnosing the auto immune disease that I have which affects the saliva glands.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
You could try Sommerhill Dental Practice. http://www.somerhilldental.co.uk They are currently accepting NHS patients.

The contracts are a problem when it comes to needing scale and polish though. These days they like you to visit the hygienists for cleaning and they charge private prices. Thats a problem for people who are on the breadline.

Private dentists seem to charge a fortune but I get the impression that the NHS contracts don't pay the dentist a fair value either.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
You could try Sommerhill Dental Practice. http://www.somerhilldental.co.uk They are currently accepting NHS patients.

The contracts are a problem when it comes to needing scale and polish though. These days they like you to visit the hygienists for cleaning and they charge private prices. Thats a problem for people who are on the breadline.

Private dentists seem to charge a fortune but I get the impression that the NHS contracts don't pay the dentist a fair value either.

Very interesting point you make about the " great scale & polish" rip off. The reality is that the new dental contract which moved away from a piece work basis to UDA's was flawed on many levels. However sympathy lessens for the dental profession when they are somewhat sly. If a dentist has an NHS contract he is bound to provide the full range of NHS treatment as to render you dentally fit. And crucially this should include the basic scale and polish and even in the pre new contract days the 3 visit periodontal item 10c. Critically it does not cover work that is purely cosmetic and a dentist is not obliged to provide this on the NHS. The argument from the dentists is that the current UDA's do not cover the the time and effort even for the basic scale and polish. Whilst they may actually have a point they should not seek to mislead the public by suggesting that they can only offer the treatment via a private hygienist. By offering a limited NHS treatment they are effectively in breach of their terms of service.

Going off at a tangent I was once involved in a dental fraud case involving a current Albion squad member and his father. Can you guess who? And please note mods this info is in the public domain

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I've spent most of late afternoon in the dentist's chair to remove an abscess that was between two of my back teeth with the fillings taken out (to be put back in in a couple of weeks). I don't think I have ever experienced pain like that before - the pus that was squashed was the only soothing part and got rid of the bad smell that was building up although the blood made it look like a donor kebab with ketchup! The anaesthetic only works up to a certain point. I clean my teeth twice a day thoroughly but it was a condition that had built up. Heavy painkillers will take the pain away and I might be as high as a kite tomorrow lunchtime at the Amex!

I don't know yet what will have hit me harder - the drill or the bill?!

The NHS are brilliant though, many thanks to Newlands Dental Practice in Haywards Heath and I couldn't have survived the weekend with the pain (or dog breath). Soup is the only thing on the menu tonight though. :eek:

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I've spent most of late afternoon in the dentist's chair to remove an abscess that was between two of my back teeth with the fillings taken out (to be put back in in a couple of weeks). I don't think I have ever experienced pain like that before - the pus that was squashed was the only soothing part and got rid of the bad smell that was building up although the blood made it look like a donor kebab with ketchup! The anaesthetic only works up to a certain point. I clean my teeth twice a day thoroughly but it was a condition that had built up. Heavy painkillers will take the pain away and I might be as high as a kite tomorrow lunchtime at the Amex!

I don't know yet what will have hit me harder - the drill or the bill?!

The NHS are brilliant though, many thanks to Newlands Dental Practice in Haywards Heath and I couldn't have survived the weekend with the pain (or dog breath). Soup is the only thing on the menu tonight though. :eek:
Your post serves as a good reminder why I shouldn’t read NSC whilst eating my dinner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here