Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next general election (Dec 24?)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Labour are heading for a landslide. After sequential economic crises, the latest being millions of homeowners finding their next mortgage interest rate is 3x the last deal. The SNP debacle can only help the Labour majority.

Unlike Starmer, so counting chickens, what tangibly will he do with such a majority? It would all too easy for 5 years to race by, an opportunity lost. How about overhauling the planning process to get millions more new affordable homes underway helping the lost generations and dealing with the skew of wealth to the top 20%.

IMG_4658.png

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There's so much needs doing to repair our once great country. Day 1 of the next government seems like its going to be very busy.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Labour are heading for a landslide. After sequential economic crises, the latest being millions of homeowners finding their next mortgage interest rate is 3x the last deal. The SNP debacle can only help the Labour majority.

Unlike Starmer, so counting chickens, what tangibly will he do with such a majority? It would all too easy for 5 years to race by, an opportunity lost. How about overhauling the planning process to get millions more new affordable homes underway helping the lost generations and dealing with the skew of wealth to the top 20%.

View attachment 162996

Interestingly, you've always described yourself as centre-right (as I probably describe myself as centre-left) so if it's a foregone conclusion that Labour will win, what do you think will happen to the Conservative party (in particular the traditional centre-right) trying to wrestle power from the current cabal. Have you any idea of a name to put forward to claim the party back ?

I always had a lot of time for Rory Stewart but he really is a million miles from where the party are now. At a local level they are even happy to put up candidates who've had to stand down in the past for their anti-Islamic, anti-disabled posts and the Home Secretary only seems interested in trying to keep the racist vote. It seems fairly desperate at every level :shrug:

Last edited:

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Realistically the country's fortunes will take a lot longer than one 5 year term to turn around. Just hope the British public realise this, and don't expect all of their problems to disappear overnight.

If elected, I hope Labour stick to their green investment pledges, creating new jobs etc, and don't backtrack any further.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Good point. Is there any Tory left in the party that has a, the vision to unite what's left of the party, b, has a clear vision of a type of Conservatisim that would benefit the majority of people,c, can genuinely rebuild people's trust that the party accepts and conforms to honesty, integrity and is SEEN to have standards in public life and finally d, has a safe enough majority in their own seat that means they don't get wiped out at a GE......Its difficult to think of someone.

Jimmy Grimble

This is the kind of thing they’re going to have try and address but I’m not sure they’ll have the political will.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Interestingly, you've always described yourself as centre-right (as I probably describe myself as centre-left) so if it's a foregone conclusion that Labour will win, what do you think will happen to the Conservative party (in particular the traditional centre-right) trying to wrestle power from the current cabal. Have you any idea of a name to put forward to claim the party back ?

I always had a lot of time for Rory Stewart but he really is a million miles from where the party are now. At a local level they are even happy to put up candidates who've had to stand down in the past for their anti-Islamic, anti-disabled posts and the Home Secretary only seems interested in trying to keep the racist vote. It seems fairly desperate at every level :shrug:

Centre right …. just economically (Blair would be judged as that by many non-Tories, for example). That doesn’t override everything else eg I voted for Des Turner in 1997, Caroline Lucas in 2010. One reason, you and I have this in common, is a loathing of field sports and animal cruelty.

Respectfully, I’ve no interest in the Tories just now. Bar Ken Clarke, Major and his cabinet were a tired shit show 1992 to 1997. Having a good memory :D , I remember as if it was yesterday that Major, Patten, Portillo were despised by Labour voters, really hated. I worked with Labour devotees. Revisionism means Major’s now seen as some kind of hero. This Sunak government has that same aura, a busted flush.

Remind to answer you on the Tories in about 2029.

Back to my OP. What do you want Starrmer to crack on? Charities say we need 3m to 4m brand new homes. What about an annual wealth tax on every UK household (home, BTL’s, savings and investments) worth over £1m?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Centre right …. just economically (Blair would be judged as that by many non-Tories, for example). That doesn’t override everything else eg I voted for Des Turner in 1997, Caroline Lucas in 2010. One reason, you and I have this in common, is a loathing of field sports and animal cruelty.

Respectfully, I’ve no interest in the Tories just now. Bar Ken Clarke, Major and his cabinet were a tired shit show 1992 to 1997. Having a good memory :D , I remember as if it was yesterday that Major, Patten, Portillo were despised by Labour voters, really hated. I worked with Labour devotees. Revisionism means Major’s now seen as some kind of hero. This Sunak government has that same aura, a busted flush.

Back to my OP. What do you want Starrmer to crack on? Charities say we need 3m to 4m brand new homes. What about an annual wealth tax on every UK household (home, BTL’s, savings and investments) worth over £1m?
I don't think it's revisionism that Major is seen as a hero, it's simply comparative to what we currently have and applies to every PM for the last 60 years (and I only say 60 because I can't remember any earlier).

I think just a little bit of competence and honesty would be a f***ing huge step forward over where we are now.

The economy is dying on it's arse and no political party can put any policies in place while that's happening, so I think we both know what needs doing to address that, however it's wrapped up and sold :wink:

And whatever they do, the last 3.5 years is going to take well over a decade to recover from. If we are going to be this stupid as a nation we really shouldn't be surprised when there is be a big price to pay :down:

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think just a little bit of competence and honesty would be a f***ing huge step forward over where we are now.

The economy is dying on it's arse and no political party can put any policies in place while that's happening, so I think we both know what needs doing to address that, however it's wrapped up and sold :wink:

And whatever they do, the last 3.5 years is going to take well over a decade to recover from. If we are going to be this stupid as a nation there will be a big price :down:

The icing on the cake was thick as shit Truss/Kwarteng (I don’t respect their Oxbridge degrees, we all know that bears no relation to common sense). Non-leftie economists seem to be agreed that 0.75% of current UK base rates now are down to those mad weeks.

Praying that Starmer/Reeves have a top down strategy with ‘meat on the bone’. Not held back by the likes of Abbott who’d love to throw spanners in.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove

Not stealing our tax money and giving it to their friends/contacts, and instead spending it on infrastructure like water provision and effective sewage processing, railways/transport generally, green energy particularly cheap onshore wind, and public services (all with a long-term view) is what I'd like from our next government.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not stealing our tax money and giving it to their friends/contacts, and instead spending it on infrastructure like water provision and effective sewage processing, railways/transport generally, green energy particularly cheap onshore wind, and public services (all with a long-term view) is what I'd like from our next government.

Even before the Thames Water fiasco, a nationalised water service makes sense.

A vital national resource, 100% of income should be targeted to new reservoirs and ending the mains leaks. Nimbies shouldn’t be able to scupper every single reservoir proposal. It was very imperfect under state ownership, but the 34 year experiment hasn’t worked. Imho.

JamieR

Jan 25, 2020
Doesn’t matter who’s in charge now, the damage has been done. 13 years of Tory leadership (and I use that term loosely) has left a polarised nation with huge structural debt with little room for manoeuvre and no family silver to sell to balance the books. This country is an absolute basket case and if I was growing up now I would be looking to get out of here as soon as I could.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
All i want the next Government to do is put Britain first. Scrap foreign aid, we have Enough homlessness and people working but still only keeping there heads above water. Close our boarders. Windfull taxes. Put the great back into Great Britain.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I just do not see a viable party to vote for. A viable alternative is needed but it obviously won't be forthcoming.

Absolute mess really, I don't envy whoever has to come in and attempt to fix the damage the recent administration have done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here