[Politics] Next Conservative Leader - Rishi Sunak

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who should be the next leader of the conservative party?

• Boris

Votes: 48 17.8%
  • Therese Coffey

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 107 39.8%
  • Penny Mourdant

Votes: 31 11.5%
  • Ben Wallace

Votes: 21 7.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Mick Gove

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Chris Grayling

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Matt Hancock

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Sir Graham Brady

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Jacob Rees-Mogg

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Dom Raab

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nadine Dorries

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Pretty Patel

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If Johnson wins surely his only chance is an early General Election when he is still a White Knight (sic) charging to the rescue, rather than after 2 more years of economic meltdown.

Calling an election may? kibosh the committee investigating him ?

Here's my take amid all the lunacy, on here with the conspiracy theories and out in the country at large.
1) Turkeys don't vote for Christmas, they'll be no GE for two years unless the Conservatives think they're gonna win it.
2) Boris will not become PM again, I think there's the threat that a significant number of his own MP's would resign and stand as independents, therefore reducing his majority, (some say there's as many as 50)
3) Two years down the line, the world is likely to be a much calmer place, Covid in the history books, Ukraine situation resolved, energy and food prices stable as a result, partygate forgotten about. The Conservative government will remind the electorate of the success's of the previous five years and we'll have a much closer election result than we would have if there were an election now.
I sincerely hope that you are right.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Some of them do talk sense.

In a lengthy series of tweets, the international trade minister, Greg Hands, who has backed Rishi Sunak, said of Boris Johnson’s potential leadership bid: “People forget quickly. I don’t.

“I was with Boris late on the evening of 6th July. He offered me Northern Ireland Secretary (a position not to be thrown around lightly), if I could just show the world he could indeed form a government.

“I think he would have offered me almost anything. I refused. Indeed, as we sat there, more resignations of junior ministers, whips and PPSs were coming in.

“I told him he had to resign, as he couldn’t form a government. Doubtless others said the same. The next morning, he duly did resign.

“I have no reason to have any more confidence today that he could put together an effective government.

“Some of my colleagues think he could win a 2024 general election. But if you can’t form a workable, effective and stable government, you’ll never get to 2023, let alone 2024.

“There are many other good reasons why Boris would be the wrong choice. But being elected the leader of the largest party in parliament, but without being able to form a stable government, would be a new set of circumstances which could lead to constitutional crisis & early general election in chaotic circumstances.

“It has to be Rishi Sunak.”

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I found that incredibly painful. But I managed to listen to it until the end.

I hope Rishi Sunak doesn't listen to it.
I thought Sangita handled it well as it was so difficult for her, personally.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Unbelievable racist pig
But this is why Rishi won’t be able to win an election for the Conservative Party. There are thousands, maybe millions of Tories with this view. The membership preferred Truss to Sunak. This LBC clip gives a good indication why they might not vote for Sunak in a future election.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I don't think Boris is getting the numbers if people like Frost and Banedoch are in favour of Rishi. This contest could be over on Monday.

How embarrassing for him if he has to slink off away again. Probably why he hasn't officially put himself forward yet.

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
shteve, you are one of those political obsessives, you are emerging from your echo chamber still under the cover of your annonymous psuedonym, the big difference being, you are punching down.

get up off your knees, wipe that muck off your face, and fight the good fight
Oh Wodger, you are one of those easily led types constantly looking for approval in the NSC echo chamber. We all have anonymous pseudonyms wodge and poking fun at the sanctimonious know it alls on social media is hardly punching down.

Less arse licking, wipe the excrement from your face and develop some coherent independent arguments.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I don't think Boris is getting the numbers if people like Frost and Banedoch are in favour of Rishi. This contest could be over on Monday.

How embarrassing for him if he has to slink off away again. Probably why he hasn't officially put himself forward yet.

Latest on who is backing who (BBC 19:45)​

As things stand 201 out of 357 Tory MPs have publicly spoken out about who they're backing.
Here's the breakdown:
• Rishi Sunak - 125 MPs
• Boris Johnson - 53 MPs
• Penny Mordaunt - 23 MPs
------------------------------------
357/201 = 1.776
1.776 * 53 = 94.

Boris is on course to get 94 MPs backing him.

(Caveat: my sums don't take into account er, anything I haven't thought of, e.g. horse trading).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh Wodger, you are one of those easily led types constantly looking for approval in the NSC echo chamber. We all have anonymous pseudonyms wodge and poking fun at the sanctimonious know it alls on social media is hardly punching down.

Less arse licking, wipe the excrement from your face and develop some coherent independent arguments.
You're not the genius you think you are. Your entire post here is personal. It's certainly not a coherent argument. Knock it off.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Is the "constantly looking for approval in an echo chamber" just something that happens on NSC, or could it happen on, for example, Facebook as well?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You're not the genius you think you are. Your entire post here is personal. It's certainly not a coherent argument. Knock it off.
You remind me of the joke about the 'master of sarcasm and wit'.

A boy went to the circus and a clown whispered to him 'you are a horrible boy'.

The boy cried all the way home. The next day he went to see his friend the 'master of sarcasm and wit'.

He told him all about it and the 'master of sarcasm and wit' said 'don't worry, my little friend, I will fix this for you, and not in a Jimmy Savile way (FFS)'

Next day, they go to the circus. The same clown leans forward to whisper his vileness, and the 'master of sarcasm and wit' stands up and says:

"f*** off, you red nosed ****".

Best response to a self-imagined genius, no? ??? :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Latest on who is backing who (BBC 19:45)​

As things stand 201 out of 357 Tory MPs have publicly spoken out about who they're backing.
Here's the breakdown:
• Rishi Sunak - 125 MPs
• Boris Johnson - 53 MPs
• Penny Mordaunt - 23 MPs
------------------------------------
357/201 = 1.776
1.776 * 53 = 94.

Boris is on course to get 94 MPs backing him.

(Caveat: my sums don't take into account er, anything I haven't thought of, e.g. horse trading).
And the eternal trope of the tory MP intent on surviving - lying. ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Keep travelling.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports