Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Next Brighton manager

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
0c61109aa722a04099e8d1694f84f9c3.jpg

Latest odds. Waiting for news is doing my nut-son.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I’m a misery? Have you seen the state of this board since Potter left and took the Crown Jewels with him.
Didn't you think Potter was crap anyway?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
When you see Russell Martin at those sort of odds it makes a mockery of the whole thing.

It doesn't really, the next manager markets are normally so small it doesn't take much to reduce someones odds quite dramatically. A couple of bets on one name, a bit of press speculation on another and the odds will come tumbling even if there is no realistic chance that person will get the job.

In the case of Russell Martin and Nathan Jones, both have links to the club. Martin is a Brighton lad, former apprentice here and a young and upcoming manager, just the kind of appointment Bloom might look to make. Jones having played for us and been part of the coaching setup as well as a spell as caretaker manager is in the same mold. I don't expect either to be named but the bookies work on risk rather than expectation and there is more linking either of them to the job than a lot of other names which is why the odds are heavily reduced.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
The 16m compensation might help with that. If we are thinking we’re a top half outfit, the manager needs to be paid top half money. GP was on survival / promoted manager wages.

Quite a few reports suggested the compensation package was £21m.

Before replying I googled PL wages and was amazed to see Rodger’s generally is considered to be the 4th highest earner on £10m a year. They’re not getting much value for that at the movement.

Totally agree with what you’re saying. To attract the right candidate, and based on where we now are as a club, we need to be offering the right salary similar to other mid table clubs, which looks to be £4 to £6m per year.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It doesn't really, the next manager markets are normally so small it doesn't take much to reduce someones odds quite dramatically. A couple of bets on one name, a bit of press speculation on another and the odds will come tumbling even if there is no realistic chance that person will get the job.
/QUOTE]

Exactly. The odds are no reflection of reality. Surely neither Martin nor Jones have anything like the pedigree Bloom will be looking for to push on from this position of strength.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Tend to agree with most of that. What sticks in the throat is that it is Chelsea where it is odds on that they won't honour the contract or give them anywhere near enough time to change the ethos at that basket club.

I actually find that quite a comforting thought.

#TeamReallyAngryStill

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m not suggesting Tony goes for Sean Dyce but if he did, do you think the ex Burnley man could play a more expansive game with better players than he has had before ?

Last edited:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Nathan Jones has no right to be on that list either, let alone third on it. The list just exemplifies the shortage of genuine candidates and how irreplaceable Potter was. I just hope the players stick together and see us through what will be a difficult time.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Didn't you think Potter was crap anyway?
All managers live and die by the players at their disposal, if we didn’t have Caceido would Potter still be here? Probably.
Would Thomas Frank be mentioned if he didn’t have Ivan Toney winning games for him? Probably not.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I’m not suggesting Tony goes for Sean Dyce but if he did, do you think the ex Burnley man could play a more expansive game with better players than he has had before ?

Yes. Same as Potter will win more games with Chelsea then he did with Brighton

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
He is not an idiot but he's not infallible. Sami Hypia was a mistake. I would say hes has got 5 out of 6 correct though!!
Possibly. But Hyppia was hung out to dry by his assistant who wouldn't come if I remember rightly. No idea who it was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here