Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Next Brighton manager

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
While I like Nathan Jones and Russell Martin, there’s no way they are anywhere near the level we should be looking at so I hope the links to them aren’t true.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
We are now in a position where we don't have to take 'Punts' on unproven managers.

Top class managers will be gagging for the job and making there interest aware.

Im looking for a proven, top flight manager with something left to prove, if not from England from Spain, Italy, Germany, someone with European Experience and contacts.

The moment we stop doing things our way will be the moment we give up any potential advantage we have over those who all want the same managers and the same players. At that point we lose because they have more money. Leicester won the league and the cup and played in Europe and that made them think that they could compete financially with these monoliths. That's why they are in trouble. We are about improving young players. Potter's departure doesn't change that. The ability to improve players, not top league experience will be what guides our choice.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
We really have a short list of uninspiring or unlikely candidates don't we?

Going through the list on oddschecker...

Knutsen, looks good on paper, massive risk being a big step up.
Steve Cooper, limited Prem experience but could be a good fit, is he willing to leave Forest?
Bruno - only just left Brighton yesterday to join Chelsea.
Postecoglou, no Prem experience but has Champions League experience and managing a top club, despite being in Scotland, would be a good choice in my eyes but again, is he willing to leave Celtic.
Brendan Rodgers, a good manager who has had a bit of a torrid summer with Leicester, if he was a free agent he would be favourite and probably a good choice.
Nathan Jones, flopped when left Luton for Stoke, no thanks
Dyche, no thanks
Porch - wages? Are we a big enough club for him?

None of these inspire much confidence truthfully - i suspect it'll be another leftfield name that has been stat tracked over last few months

axscott

Jan 10, 2022
[tweet]1568173013283049473[/tweet]

Give this money to Poch or go with the Brighton philosophy which would be more Jones/Knutsen type?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
The moment we stop doing things our way will be the moment we give up any potential advantage we have over those who all want the same managers and the same players. At that point we lose because they have more money. Leicester won the league and the cup and played in Europe and that made them think that they could compete financially with these monoliths. That's why they are in trouble. We are about improving young players. Potter's departure doesn't change that. The ability to improve players, not top league experience will be what guides our choice.

Indeed, and David Weir is key to that; not irreplaceable but we don't need to lose him as well now. Chelsea have no Director of Football and have appointed GP as Head Coach........

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Sure, im not suggesting anything changes on wanting someone who can still develop and improve players, that goes without saying.

Top level experience should actually enhance that philosophy.

All im saying is that we are now a pretty established Prem side, sitting pretty after 6 games, we have a very good squad and set up and a healthy transfer budget.

We are now not shopping at poundland is my point, the level of manager we can attract is at an all time high, the opportunity should not be wasted, and we won't.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I'm honestly baffled by why so many of you have a hard on for Kjetil Knutsen. He has no experience in managing at a higher level than the Danish Superleague, admittedly had a great result against Roma last year, but every so often an anomaly like that will happen. Can't we just go out and get a manager that has a proven background in higher level domestic/european football? Someone who's managed in a league that is equivalent to ours? Just for once, can we do something normal, instead of moneyballing every last little thing? It's tiring.

For starters, Knutsen has never managed in the Danish Superleague (he's Norwegian, managing a Norwegian club in the Norwegian league).

Secondly, do you think we need to go for someone with Champions League experience? Even with huge optimism, I don't see much need for anything above Europa League - where Knutsen has a very good record of punching above his club's weight. Given his adventures in Europe, wouldn't you say he has experience of a level above anything the club has achieved before?

His tactics and MO seem will suited to how the Albion are set up to operate (some detail here https://coachhall.substack.com/p/fk-bodglimt-2020-season-tactical)

You might not like it, but the club is set up to slot pieces back into their 3D jigsaw, so they will look well beyond the 1 dimensional aspect of "must have proven experience at our level" and put as much emphasis on the manager's playing style/philosophy and management style/personality.

It is what's giving us an edge and allowing the club to compete higher than it should, given the resources at its disposal, so why change it?

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Why are some against Dyche Kept Burnley up for a long time until changed ownership. Always impressed me how he had 100%belief in his players. Only one in list that has ben there and done it. Celtic chap no experience apart from winning a 2 team league

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Why are some against Dyche Kept Burnley up for a long time until changed ownership. Always impressed me how he had 100%belief in his players. Only one in list that has ben there and done it. Celtic chap no experience apart from winning a 2 team league
You know the type of football he plays right? We'd have to change most of our players and fans would hate it. 😱

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Knutsen seems the most obvious fit but I wouldn't be shocked if the following managers feature:

AVB: Brings experience, tactical adaptability and a consistently high win ratio
Russell Martin: Building a great reputation for implementing a similar style without the backing and staff Potter benefited from
Roberto Martinez: Great credentials but probably bad timing
John Herdman: Building a huge reputation with the Canadian national team
Marcelo Gallardo: Could be on our radar and has been tipped for a move to Europe

axscott

Jan 10, 2022
With the fixtures cancelled this week and our game v Palace already off (I suspect all Premier League football will be off too), does anyone else feel like this might have worked in our (and Chelsea's) favour? Depending on the recruitment process, our new man could have over 3 weeks with his new squad to prepare for the trip to Liverpool with next to no pressure to get a result in his first game considering the difficulty.

A series of unfortunate events could end up benefitting BHAFC in the long run, or at least make this annoying situation easier to deal with.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I think Svensson is a great shout, and is someone the club will definitely have their eye on.

Mainz are great pressing team, very good defensively too.

Would he come though?

I think we have no better opportunity to get a too manager in than this (with a lack of obvious younger Potter's around).

scooter1

How soon is now?

The interesting thing about Dyche was that things went tits up for Burnley a couple of years back because he tried to change their playing style, but the players weren't good enough at the time. In order to survive that season they went back to clogging.
I'm not sure he's the right fit for us now, but i'd like to see him in charge of a team with better players

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Looks like we only have fixtures in October to fulfil then we can get someone after the World Cup. Personally I would like Roberto Martinez.
Knows the league, plays good football and has won the FA Cup. He’ll do for me.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Marcelo Gallardo... now that would be interesting. We’d be going full in SouthAmerican style!

We absolutely should be looking at Gallardo.

A fantastic player in his day often compared with Maradona.

His record at River Plate is brilliant with an over 50% win record.

Would he come to Europe though?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here