Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] News broadcasts

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Asking tough questions is how people are held to account. It's how journalism should work
Journalists should challenge, debate and discuss. Not shout inane, populist questions to which there is no sensible answer.

journalism is not about challenging or holding to account. they are supposed to report and inform. Kuenssberg and similar want to be quasi-politicians, but without any responsibility or the faff of being elected. who holds the journalist to account, when they interfere with public perception and policy, then change tack later?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
journalism is not about challenging or holding to account. they are supposed to report and inform. Kuenssberg and similar want to be quasi-politicians, but without any responsibility or the faff of being elected. who holds the journalist to account, when they interfere with public perception and policy, then change tack later?

I could find you about 20 million quotes from politicians from all over the world going on about how a free press is essential to hold politicians to account... I don't have the time to do this, but i'll guess I don't need to ... you'll have heard it enough times yourself and its widely accepted to be true.

And the public and employers hold journalists to account. If they are not getting any scoops, or people find them a turn off, they lose their jobs or their employer goes under.

Kuensberg has never changed tack. She has never had a direction. She just want to be the one to force the error from someone in power.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
No longer watch much news As far as politics concerned now all about trying to catch them out. All I want to know is what has happened in world that day. After Boris,Hancock Scientist etc have spoken at press briefings I have often felt positive, That only last until Media start asking questions.
Media must be really cheesed off first target for vaccinations has been met

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The media have also tried to make this a North/South issue as some areas are a little behind on supply. Do they expect everywhere in the country to work at exactly the same rate? As far as I'm concerned it's lazy journalism that unnecessarily erodes national cohesion - "they're getting it before us, of course they are it's London..."

Absolutely this........some 50yo in one location gets jabbed because their GP/centre is only covering a small area and they've managed to get through everyone, whereas 70yo Doris in Manchester hasn't had hers yet. Doris' daughter than calls the BBC because she sees this and she's FUMMIN, and Victoria Derbyshire makes a story out of it, winding up every other person who thinks they should have had it by now and haven't. Rinse and repeat. It's a massive logistical exercise, of course areas will be working at different speeds for a whole host of reasons. This, coupled with the prioritisation 'row' are the only negative angles the MSM can find at the moment after the 12 week gap was debunked etc so that's what they go with. It's pathetic.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Media must be really cheesed off first target for vaccinations has been met

Why would they be? Are commuters cheesed off when their train arrives on time?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Think you miss my point, it's not those that believe they may have a problem it's those that abuse the ease that you can be signed off, just as I posted the bad back injury being used in the 70s/80s.

Oh yeah I agree. It's definitely a system open to abuse, which is true of any system.

My worry is that by taking actions to make it harder for people to get signed off for stress or other mental health issues you could then create an atmosphere where people who do genuinely need care are either denied it or don't feel like they can come forward to ask for it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I could find you about 20 million quotes from politicians from all over the world going on about how a free press is essential to hold politicians to account... I don't have the time to do this, but i'll guess I don't need to ... you'll have heard it enough times yourself and its widely accepted to be true.

press is not wholly synonymous with journalist. politicans want free press, publications, to spread their message, doesnt mean they want a journalist questioning every detail.

Kuensberg has never changed tack. She has never had a direction. She just want to be the one to force the error from someone in power.

same thing. sure not having firm agenda, im meaning how they'll drive an angle on a news story then switch to a different angle of story when it suits them. "when will the minister release the lockdown rules" is followed by "are the lockdown rules too strict", then "why wont the minister provide a roadmap out of lockdown". sometimes changing within a week (not necessarily that particular issue)

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
I agree with so much on this thread - people are aware that the 'news' is not necessarily as spouted by the BBC. At least those who have contributed to this thread seem to have taken the trouble to delve further, even though, obviously, not all have the same opinion.

The problem comes, I believe, with my father in law's generation. He is 78 and buys the Daily Mail every day (I KNOW!). He absolutely believes every single word that's in it, in the same way as he only watches the BBC news and believes that every single word they say is gospel. He won't even look at a weather app because he wants to see what the BBC forecast will be after the news. We've had rows about it but he believes the BBC and the Daily Mail are unimpeachable bastions of what is good and right about this country and nothing you say will cause him to falter in that belief. He cannot accept they have their own agendas, political, advertising revenue, viewing figures etc. and simply repeats his mantra - 'everyone trusts the BBC/Daily Mail...and if it wasn't true, they couldn't print/say it' What's to be done?:ffsparr::wrong::lolol:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
press is not wholly synonymous with journalist. politicans want free press, publications, to spread their message, doesnt mean they want a journalist questioning every detail.

same thing. sure not having firm agenda, im meaning how they'll drive an angle on a news story then switch to a different angle of story when it suits them. "when will the minister release the lockdown rules" is followed by "are the lockdown rules too strict", then "why wont the minister provide a roadmap out of lockdown". sometimes changing within a week (not necessarily that particular issue)

Purely to get them to slip up.

Think about it, you're a journo, asking questions to a PM with a 100%, cast iron, proven track record for indiscretion and making ill advised, headline grabbing, promises that can't be kept.

I could list them, but again, you don't need me to, this has been well trodden ground.

You as the journo, know that every day, you can go to work with a great chance of getting your organisation the headline that gets them the clicks or keeps them relevant. You're going to attack from all angles.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I agree with so much on this thread - people are aware that the 'news' is not necessarily as spouted by the BBC. At least those who have contributed to this thread seem to have taken the trouble to delve further, even though, obviously, not all have the same opinion.

The problem comes, I believe, with my father in law's generation. He is 78 and buys the Daily Mail every day (I KNOW!). He absolutely believes every single word that's in it, in the same way as he only watches the BBC news and believes that every single word they say is gospel. He won't even look at a weather app because he wants to see what the BBC forecast will be after the news. We've had rows about it but he believes the BBC and the Daily Mail are unimpeachable bastions of what is good and right about this country and nothing you say will cause him to falter in that belief. He cannot accept they have their own agendas, political, advertising revenue, viewing figures etc. and simply repeats his mantra - 'everyone trusts the BBC/Daily Mail...and if it wasn't true, they couldn't print/say it' What's to be done?:ffsparr::wrong::lolol:

So true.

People who grew up in that generation and those before have no other source of info if they don't use the interweb. I remember in the 70s my granny being convinced that Tony Jacklin was a drug addict because it said so in the News of the World

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I haven't watched the new, or ready papers, or looked at news website since last Mid April last year. The change it made to my mental wellbeing was immense. Why would I go back?

Some people seem to revel in making themselves worried, scared or unhappy. I choose not to.
Very much this. I found that the news was nothing but Covid, Covid, Covid and the non-stop procession of bad news was dragging me down. It used to be that the 10 o'clock news was a 'must see' in our household, no it's 'avoid at all costs' and we are all much the happier for it. If I want to know what's going on in the world I seek it out online rather than watch a non-stop hash of depressing stuff

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Purely to get them to slip up.

Think about it, you're a journo, asking questions to a PM with a 100%, cast iron, proven track record for indiscretion and making ill advised, headline grabbing, promises that can't be kept.

I could list them, but again, you don't need me to, this has been well trodden ground.

You as the journo, know that every day, you can go to work with a great chance of getting your organisation the headline that gets them the clicks or keeps them relevant. You're going to attack from all angles.
You’re probably right, though personally that’s not the sort of journalism I want or like. I want reliable news and information, I’m not interested in journalists posing “let’s catch them out or force an error” questions.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Absolutely this........some 50yo in one location gets jabbed because their GP/centre is only covering a small area and they've managed to get through everyone, whereas 70yo Doris in Manchester hasn't had hers yet. Doris' daughter than calls the BBC because she sees this and she's FUMMIN, and Victoria Derbyshire makes a story out of it, winding up every other person who thinks they should have had it by now and haven't. Rinse and repeat. It's a massive logistical exercise, of course areas will be working at different speeds for a whole host of reasons. This, coupled with the prioritisation 'row' are the only negative angles the MSM can find at the moment after the 12 week gap was debunked etc so that's what they go with. It's pathetic.

.... and shit stirring with the lazy POSTCODE LOTTERY headline.

It’s not. The pharmas and NSC team from top to bottom have worked miracles in every region and nation, matching or exceeding incredibly ambitious targets.

Now well into groups 5, 6 and 7, early.

Inherent in the system, if it’s going exceptionally well in Northumberland, hospitals and surgeries cannot shut down vax centres and move staff to Lincolnshire for 10 days to catch up because it’s “only” going well there.

This is an unbridled success story, but one or two news editors salivate on hearing of a complainant.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
.... and shit stirring with the lazy POSTCODE LOTTERY headline.

It’s not. The pharmas and NSC team from top to bottom have worked miracles in every region and nation, matching or exceeding incredibly ambitious targets.

Now well into groups 5, 6 and 7, early.

Inherent in the system, if it’s going exceptionally well in Northumberland, hospitals and surgeries cannot shut down vax centres and move staff to Lincolnshire for 10 days to catch up because it’s “only” going well there.

This is an unbridled success story, but one or two news editors salivate on hearing of a complainant.

I agree but must shout out the vaccine centre in Etchingham what a wonderful place, wonderful people, nice sharp needles (single use) and nice jollop injected in my arm this afternoon, my wife two weeks ago and daughter this Saturday. :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I agree but must shout out the vaccine centre in Etchingham what a wonderful place, wonderful people, nice sharp needles (single use) and nice jollop injected in my arm this afternoon, my wife two weeks ago and daughter this Saturday. :)

A nice part of the world, I had you down as living near Piltdown.

With our kids, lots of family trips over to Batemans and Bodiam over the years.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Bloody impartial and balanced UK broadcast media, who needs it? What we need to a couple of right leaning news channels and a weakening of regulation at Ofcom.

No more doom and gloom, just tell the public what they want to hear....

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
A nice part of the world, I had you down as living near Piltdown.

With our kids, lots of family trips over to Batemans and Bodiam over the years.

I used to own a farm, well small holding in Piltdown about 20 years ago. Only when we sold it did our buyers solicitor questioned the area of historic interest in one of our lower fields. Unbeknown to us it was where the Piltdown Man was "discovered". We ended up having to get a professor from Sussex Uni to come and survey the area, which was interesting considering it was a hoax. The area though was apparently an ancient settlement site.

I've lived in many places around the fine county of Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here