Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newman, Longhill, what about any from BHASVIC?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The joys of the Weasel, Killer Reeves, Nunky Joe and co.

I was there just as it was converting to a sixth form, and so was in the youngest year for FIVE years, which was nice (not). :moo:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I must have benn in the year above you - Dave Akers - Jack Smithies etc

Sent from - not telling as it upsets some people!

Jack Smithies died recently, Dave Akers has just retired. They now somehow manage to squeeze about 2,000 into the same buildings, compared to about 600 when I was there.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
One of my best footballing memories was scoring the winner in our final game (i.e. Upper Sixth) between the schools. The game had everything. We were wearing our new Man City style kit, there was a punch up on the touchline, and I think we went 1-0 down. Having equalised, and getting to the final whistle our winger got to the dead-ball line, and pulled it back to where I was arriving at the penalty spot. I side-footed it into the far corner, with the keeper flat-footed and the defenders scrambing to get back. Happy Days.

BHASC 1 - Cardinal Newman - 2.

Get in.

Prior to that we played in these lilac shirts. "You look like a bunch of pansies" said Feeley. Those that knew him can do the accent.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I remember a major RUCK between Newman and BHASVIC in (I think) 1977/8. Loads of people piled in, and I believe a NUN got hit with a brick to the head. The whole school took a major bollocking for going toe to toe with the enemy. Of course those ITK got off scott free.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I remember a major RUCK between Newman and BHASVIC in (I think) 1977/8. Loads of people piled in, and I believe a NUN got hit with a brick to the head. The whole school took a major bollocking for going toe to toe with the enemy. Of course those ITK got off scott free.

Every few years it seemed to kick off. The football matches were always grudge matches. BHAS had a very good player in our year - he played in the local leagues for years. I think his name was Cornwall (or something like that).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Every few years it seemed to kick off. The football matches were always grudge matches. BHAS had a very good player in our year - he played in the local leagues for years. I think his name was Cornwall (or something like that).

What year was that?

hughesy

Oct 16, 2009
Hove
That was Mick Cornwell, he played for Sutton United in the years when they had the odd win against league clubs in the Cup. I was a Varndean boy but knew him through mutual friends at BhasVIC (or Brighton and Hove Grammar as it was then known).

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
Funnily enough I was chatting to a guy in the mess last night who was at Longhill and Bhasvic. He claims to be a spurs fan, but he is as excited about the AMEX as I am. The Albion will have a very strong presence in these islands before I leave!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Things seemed to have calmed down more recently - I was there 2002-4 and don't remember anything serious happening with Newman, though that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Was taught by Dave Akers though, what a legend.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
BHASVIC scum!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
BHASVIC scum!

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

(Except I didn't exactly love the place that much. Brilliant social life though.)

Sad to hear about Smithies; he must have got to a decent age though, he wasn't young when I was still in sky-blue Lois cords. Lovely bloke.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Things seemed to have calmed down more recently - I was there 2002-4 and don't remember anything serious happening with Newman, though that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Was taught by Dave Akers though, what a legend.

I was taught by Mr Akers too (he didn't like anyone calling him Dave iirc!) between 1995 and 1997, he was an excellent teacher. Mind you, all my teachers at BHASVIC were superb, I feel very lucky to have gone there.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That was Mick Cornwell, he played for Sutton United in the years when they had the odd win against league clubs in the Cup. I was a Varndean boy but knew him through mutual friends at BhasVIC (or Brighton and Hove Grammar as it was then known).

If you left Varndean in 1975, you must have been the same era as me.

The only person I know from BHASVIC who was a football fan (apart from El Pres and Lush) was a guy called Kerry Doyle who'd have left in 1977. Decent footballer but a Chelsea fan ... sigh.

I knew a couple of people from the old grammar school as I played bridge with them but I don't think they were interested in football. My sister went to BHASVIC too but she didn't like football either.

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009

Ha ha remember it well-although a bit earlier as i left in 1977. you're right,some bird from newman got a brick in the head. my memory was of a physics teacer called dizzy mills ,who was about six foot seven in the passenger seat of French teacher Bruce's deux cheveux, bouncing his head of the roof as they drove accross the playing fields. As i remember,as a possee of teachers came accross the playing fields,we all legged it towards old shoreham road and dyke road park

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here