[Sussex] Newick and Chailey Station last days.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
You can still see the end of it (boarded up) in Black Path (or at least you could a couple of years ago when I was last there).

they should really make something of that

it's well worth seeing

when you look at the new(ish) station
it just doesn't compare

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Lewes to Uck cut was bonkers - post-Beeching as well. Why break up the network for the sake of 7 miles? Would provide an alternative London to Brighton route too.

Some lines had to close tho - Tunbridge Wells to East Grinstead, a line which ran across the top of the Ashdown Forest! How many people used that? I have a BR timetable from 1950. It tells me the last departure from EG was 10.35pm on weekdays, arriving at TW at 11.12. Surely it was completely empty most evenings?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Lewes to Uck cut was bonkers - post-Beeching as well. Why break up the network for the sake of 7 miles? Would provide an alternative London to Brighton route too.

Some lines had to close tho - Tunbridge Wells to East Grinstead, a line which ran across the top of the Ashdown Forest! How many people used that? I have a BR timetable from 1950. It tells me the last departure from EG was 10.35pm on weekdays, arriving at TW at 11.12. Surely it was completely empty most evenings?

i was told this cut was due to the desire for industrial estate. It certainly seems a very foolish decision.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
i was told this cut was due to the desire for industrial estate. It certainly seems a very foolish decision.

The line is still there I think. The industrial estate runs alongside it. The original plan was to terminate the line at Crowborough I believe but campaigners managed to keep it open as far as Uckfield.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Great vid, thanks for sharing.

Coming from a long line of family who worked on the railways, it's always a pleasure to see. I still have plans to recreate a scale model of my village with the old station still running but time is but a cruel mistress. My plan this summer is to walk/cycle a number of old lines to recapture and visit some long-lost stations.

silverwizard

Nov 10, 2009
I have always understood that the Uckfield-Lewes line was closed because a new bridge needed to be built for the line to cross the proposed relief road in Lewes. British Rail refused to build the bridge because they felt the cost was not economically viable. The road was built in the mid to late 60’s.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

It (Lewes to Eridge) was a Beeching proposal - one of quite a few that weren't implemented straightaway, usually due to local protests (or because it adversely affected the local MP!)

Industrial (and more often housing estates) often did spring up - building firms wanted to make a quick buck; wonders will never cease! - but such developments were often encouraged by the anti-rail government of the day to prevent the likelihood of a bunch of weirdos trying to restore them n the future.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Great vid, thanks for sharing.

Coming from a long line of family who worked on the railways, it's always a pleasure to see. I still have plans to recreate a scale model of my village with the old station still running but time is but a cruel mistress. My plan this summer is to walk/cycle a number of old lines to recapture and visit some long-lost stations.
Count me in! - if you can persuade Julia Bradbury to come along too!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There is a story told, confirmed by a relation of the local mayor at the time, that Beeching was especially harsh on the routes out of East Grinstead. This being because he was a local resident who didn't want to be seen as biased.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There is a story told, confirmed by a relation of the local mayor at the time, that Beeching was especially harsh on the routes out of East Grinstead. This being because he was a local resident who didn't want to be seen as biased.

Au contraire, I think. Have you never wondered why the line from East Grinstead (Beeching's home) to his work in London never closed?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Au contraire, I think. Have you never wondered why the line from East Grinstead (Beeching's home) to his work in London never closed?

I'm guessing that it would have been a profitable line being a direct route to London. The other three lines went, including the mad decision to cut the Crawley line.

uckmap.jpg

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I'm guessing that it would have been a profitable line being a direct route to London. The other three lines went, including the mad decision to cut the Crawley line.

View attachment 119438

What's the valley railway marked on that map - proposed route from Uck to Hailsham?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Well, it would have had at least one first class annual season ticket holder, wouldn't it.

I rememberz at the time Private Eye published a 'revised' version of the map of British Railways post Beeching. It had one line on it, one end at Victoria, the other at East Grinstead.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What's the valley railway marked on that map - proposed route from Uck to Hailsham?

Yes. All the stranger given that the drawing is from 1951. I guess some folk never gave up hope.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

The Ouse Valley Railway - along with the St. Leonards Railway from Hailsham to St. Leonards - a half-arsed proposal from the mid to late 1800s. Never got anywhere.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
There was also talk of uck to glynde they built the hotel for the station at the top of moore lane along laughton road which would of served ringmer .
Also they started constructon of the uck line to what i always thought was haywards hth as when i was a lad there was a massive cutting about half a mile outside uck that used to be one of the drives for a shoot i used to help out on.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I don't know - but the lines from the Ouse viaduct to Uckfield to Hailsham to St. Leonards are shown as proposed lines, never built - look at the key in the top right.

There were some earthworks done on the Ouse Valley Line before the plug was pulled. You can see them along Copyhold Lane near the Balcombe viaduct, and at the Uckfield end in fields to the west of the bypass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports