Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newhaven -- Dieppe - Second Ferry is back in May

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Couldn't think of anything worse with two young children.

10 hours on the ferry there and back...depending on how rough the crossing is. Rip off prices for inedible food on their restaurants...and the general smell of vomit.

Better to to take a flight to La Rochelle from Southampton. Car park is 50 metres from the airport. One hour check in. One hour 5 minutes for flight and a shuttlebus at the airport taking you direct to La Rochelle, about 1.5 miles away. Providing you only take hand luggage you are off the plane and through customs (sort of portable cabin) in about 3-4 minutes.

Flybe were doing return flights for about £60 last year.

There's no point going to Northern France if you are going to fly. The ferry trip is a massive part of the fun.

I love Le touquet it's one of my favourite places.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I went on the trip for a darts team outing in the very early 80's. You could buy a pint and 20 fags on the ferry and have change.....from a £1 note.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
There was for a short while. Didn't it go to Fecamp?

Yes absolutely correct, it did go to Fecamp and it was on a catamaran. The "seajet" also went from the marina to Dieppe in 1979/80, I remember going across in terrible weather conditions.
:sick::sick::sick::sick:

Last edited:

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Had some fantastic trips on the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry.

I remember a midweek summer crossing. Not many passengers, sea as flat as a mill pond, and the sun was shining. People were sunbathing on the decks.

Got on the train to Rouen and then spent a lovely couple of weeks travelling around SW France.

I think that may have been the trip I lost my passport on the return trip. Passport bloke at Newhaven just said "Oh you look British, off you go". Those were the days...

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
They announced the additional ferries in November by the way. Shows how bad their PR is that this comes as news to people. Also shows how shite the argus is given that I emailed the editor about it at the time.

Surely it it makes better sense to announce it now when people are starting to think about their summer outings rather than in November when everything is gearing up to Christmas.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Dieppe is a lovely little town, far better than Calais

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Dieppe is a lovely little town, far better than Calais
Agreed. I've had some fantastic weekends there. It is a good place to visit. I hope the service gets enough passengers to make it viable, although the ferry times look like they might need a bit of tweaking.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
if you do venture over this summer,the Canadian cemetary on top of the hill just entering out of town is worth a visit

the ages on the tombstones is what shocked me,all young men mostly 18-21

first time out of Canada and probably never heard of Dieppe,but gave their lives for freedom

on a much lighter note,some good restaurants,would recommend the Belle Vue

would echo other posters,much better when you sailed in to literally the town,the ferry level with the appartments above all the bars & restuarants

I'm always talking up Normandy and Dieppe in particular down here in south west France,which they all find abit odd

I guess it's like someone from Brighton talking up Hartlepool to them

Rouen not far either

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Calais has a nice big shopping mall and an outlet village...Plus lots of immigrants trying to get on lorries...seriously Careforre at Calais for wine...

You can get wine a lot cheaper by driving down the A16 to the next junction & picking any supermarket. Anything in Cite Europe is more expensive.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
You can get wine a lot cheaper by driving down the A16 to the next junction & picking any supermarket. Anything in Cite Europe is more expensive.

Agreed but its a good Shopping centre, good restaurants, variety of shops and the outlet next door, we always spend a day there on the way home from my brothers, just all under one roof .....and they do have wine sales..

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agreed but its a good Shopping centre, good restaurants, variety of shops and the outlet next door, we always spend a day there on the way home from my brothers, just all under one roof .....and they do have wine sales..

It's ok for a browse before returning home, but we get our wine at the local supermarket to the campsite. We've enjoyed meals there.

if you do venture over this summer,the Canadian cemetary on top of the hill just entering out of town is worth a visit

the ages on the tombstones is what shocked me,all young men mostly 18-21

first time out of Canada and probably never heard of Dieppe,but gave their lives for freedom

on a much lighter note,some good restaurants,would recommend the Belle Vue

would echo other posters,much better when you sailed in to literally the town,the ferry level with the appartments above all the bars & restuarants

I'm always talking up Normandy and Dieppe in particular down here in south west France,which they all find abit odd

I guess it's like someone from Brighton talking up Hartlepool to them

Rouen not far either

I recall that on the promenade there is a plaque that commemorates the first two U.S. soldiers to die on European soil during the conflict - vague memories of reading in a book about the raid that they were seconded to the Canadian Army for some reason. Having read various books/articles about the debacle it appears that no one is really sure what the actual strategic point of the raid was.

On another lighter note if you are staying in Dieppe it is possible to visit Monet's Garden near Vernon. As for day trips the suggestion of flying to La Rochelle from Southampton is a good one - it is a lovely place, very photogenic (La Rochelle I mean). If you decide to stay there for a few days hop on a bus taking you over Le pont de l'île de Ré to the lovely island, have a potter round St Martin de Ré (the "capital") and indulge in the finest ice cream on the Planet from the large parlour overooking the busy yacht harbour.

Last edited:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I recall that on the promenade there is a plaque that commemorates the first two U.S. soldiers to die on European soil during the conflict - vague memories of reading in a book about the raid that they were seconded to the Canadian Army. Having read various books/articles about the debacle it appears that no one is really sure what the actual point of the raid was.

haven't seen that,did read somewhere that the Germans released some POW's from Dieppe because the local populations behaviour was correct during the raid

even the locals knew it was futile it seems,the fact that some of them even managed to get off the beach is amazing

apparently the planning behind it was to take the town for a few hours only,gauging the Germans strength or something like that,then retreating

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
From memory wouldn't it be selling "Le Pastie de Cournouailles"? I seem to remember from my 'A' level days that's one of very few places or towns that have a special french name.

Others are:

Londres
Douvres.

Rien de plus?

I think you have mistaken me for a Frenchman :D

The only French words i know were picked up from watching Only Fools And Horses. Bonjour :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here