Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newhaven -- Dieppe - Second Ferry is back in May

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The French visitors will be sure to love the High Street. You can buy most of the goods on offer in every shop and still get change from a tenner

Newhaven town centre lost its way after Woolworths shut down.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
From memory wouldn't it be selling "Le Pastie de Cournouailles"? I seem to remember from my 'A' level days that's one of very few places or towns that have a special french name.

Others are:

Londres
Douvres.

Rien de plus?

Well let's face it, the French don't seem to come here in any great numbers, certainly not as many as the Brits that go in the opposite direction anyway. Car ferries, British or French are always full of Brits with hardly a Frenchman in sight.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
It'll never be as good as it used to be when the ships berthed immediately next to the row of restaurants on the west side of the river.

Oh Dear
I was getting quite excited about doing the trip to Dieppe again like we did in the old days. A quick check has revealed how far from town the ships now dock. Don't expect I'll bother now after all.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Oh Dear
I was getting quite excited about doing the trip to Dieppe again like we did in the old days. A quick check has revealed how far from town the ships now dock. Don't expect I'll bother now after all.
There is a shuttle bus, and its only a short trip to the town, but no it won't be as good as the old days........

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Used to be a night club boat that went out at the weekend years ago , anyone remember the group from Worthing that got onto the bridge of the ship and got charged with piracy ?
regards
DR
Most of that group were from Lancing if I recall correctly.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
It'll never be as good as it used to be when the ships berthed immediately next to the row of restaurants on the west side of the river.
The spot where it used to dock is now all a yacht berth marina...... quite disappointing when I returned there a few years back.

Recall that ferry terminal was walking distance from town - Google earth android app doesn't have the distance measuring widget in it for me to check and I ain't getting out of bed to power up the PC just yet!

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
There was an amusing story a few years back about a bunch of fellas in the Dover/Canterbury area who regularly used to travel up to Chelsea, but increasingly found themselves being priced out. So they has the idea of going over to France every weekend, to support AC Calais. Sounds like a good laugh to me - nice day out, see a game for a tenner, and the trip can pay for itself if you buy some cheap beer and fags. Not quite sure it would work the other way round though.....

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Recall that ferry terminal was walking distance from town - Google earth android app doesn't have the distance measuring widget in it for me to check and I ain't getting out of bed to power up the PC just yet!

Yes it is, its only really the other side of the river from the old terminal.

Shortish walk, across a footbridge and your in town.

There's even a couple bars on the way :drink:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
there's an excellent book by Peter Bailey & Claude Féron

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Newhaven-Dieppe-Service-Story-Cross-Channel-1847-2001/dp/B007XUQN2O

anyone remember Newhaven playing Dieppe?

my old man said he went to such a game, probably late 60's early 70's
all I remember from his account which was some years ago now is that someone suffered a broken leg

FC Dieppe are doing really well at the moment,been promoted a couple of times in recent years
currently playing in the fourth tier,tidy little ground too

they played Calais away this season drawing 2-2,a fall of grace for Calais considering they played in the French Cup Final not so long ago

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good-ish news indeed, might try to stock up on beers and wines maybe. I wonder if the good citizens of Dieppe are looking forward to the rampaging groups of Stags and Hens and general pissheads as much as the people of Newhaven ?

If it's anything like it used to be, the ferry from Newhaven would get in at midday only to find 99% of the good burghers of Dieppe shutting up shop for a 2 hour lunchtime siesta or whatever, leaving hordes of UK day-trippers to roam the streets desperately trying to find somewhere open to spend their money. Meanwhile, back in Newhaven, French day-trippers would be met at the ferry terminal and bussed directly into Brighton for all their shopping needs. Things might have changed, but always seemed to me that the ferry service never really benefited the community on either end of it.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Are the Hyper markets any cheaper than over here now.

Used to be good for booze but surely our supermarkets are in line or cheaper now

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Used to be good for booze but surely our supermarkets are in line or cheaper now
The arse is falling out of the Euro, at the moment.
Everything is cheaper over there.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

I bought a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon Pays d'Oc for 2.55 euros,what that is exactly in pounds I'm not sure,but it passes as table wine comfortably,in fact it even passed the brother-in -law test yesterday and believe me,that's saying something!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
So what is the best French seaport to have a day trip too?

Taking the kids across the channel for the day is an 'itch' I've had for a while.
I was hoping Dieppe would be ideal for a bit pottering simple bite to eat and head home again.

Dieppe is great with kids, market, castles and a great dog show and kite show in the summer months.

Shame it lost the GP des Nations, both a mens and women TT around the town with all the best TT's taking part, biggest competition we were able to watch while eating dinner in one of the many harbour side restaurants, while they whizzed past within cm's of your frite. All done in a day on the ferry with hundreds of cyclists.

Attachments

• GP Nation 11.jpg
    GP Nation 11.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 153

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Still great value for (French) wine. You can get a decent bottle of cremant, for example, for around 4 euros. Also you can get some bargains from more obscure wine regions which you just wouldn't be able to buy in the UK.

Also good for things like wine glasses, meats, things from former French colonies (e.g. Harissa).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Depends on the sort of stuff you like, plenty of reasonable wines out there and there are big savings on Belgian beers if you like that sort of thing. Plus decent cheeses at about half what you would pay over here. As I recall most of the good booze deals were the ones on the English ferries in their duty free shops such as 24 500ml cans of Stella for about £9.99 a pop.

Nowdays the French boats have nearly all the routes so all there is is overpriced wine and whisky, and lumps of Toblerone on board.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here